Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of the forum contributors noticed that the lower rear quarter of the passenger side front door shudders and reverberates when you close it? It’s obvious why. These vehicles may have some character.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
They certainly have character. Less than my old W124, but it’s there. Mine doesn’t love cold mornings (it’s a bit cranky), or being driven too hard when cold.

·
Registered
862 Posts
When I installed the CRL FW642R window on the passenger slider, I thought the window was loose until I realized the top left (rear) corner (aft C pillar) is not fastened to a track -- it floats. Unlike many other vans, that top corner is not tracked and the whole slider flaps a bit when slammed.

Character? The transmission HATES going into gear immediately after start up and will reward you with a big lurch against your brake pedal foot. It's a bit startling in my tight garage. Wait a few seconds after starting and it goes into gear without a jolt.

I have yet to get the rear (270 split door) washers to work.

The aerodynamics at or near top speed are good, but not as good as the Eurovan. I may be feeling the unladen cargo van Metris vs. my passenger EV, but it is just a tad light at speed for my taste. With the EV, you could physically notice the aerodynamic weighting as you reached max velocity. Air dam anyone? :)

It's unbelievably toss-able for a 4,500# van. Turn off traction control and I am back autocrossing my '71 510 SSS. Well, not really, but it is fun to slide RWD about on dirt roads. BTW, I've generally behaved in hopes of sussing out the real tire issues with the 'kooks. Even but rapid-ish wear so far

So far the MB excuses that the Van was held for updates appear possible in that I have not had tire/alignment, fuel smell, loose bolts or any other issue. KOW.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The idle speed is higher than normal right after starting, so yeah, be careful shifting into gear.

The washers on my 270 rear doors have dribbled once or twice, but generally nothing comes out at all.

It is a hoot to drive.

I'm knocking on wood for you as I've had all the usual issues plus a few more - engine stalling for no reason and a failed power steering rack.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have any of the forum contributors noticed that the lower rear quarter of the passenger side front door shudders and reverberates when you close it? It’s obvious why. These vehicles may have some character.
Yup, it certainly does, the drivers door is notably more tight in terms of vibration. If you have a passenger van, the stamped seat frames have a spring for the hinge in them, this all reverberates too, as does the floor vent between the two front seats, and the roof, and the headliner, and... The whole thing rings when you stomp on the floor.

I love the economy and power, and absolutely love the handling of this van, and the seat layout and setup is great, seats fit my wife and i great, and it is great to clean out even during mud season with kids, but the low vibrations are painful to me, and leave me pretty rattled after driving it, more than any of my POS junk vehicles, including my junk farm truck with holes in the firewall, trashed exhaust, and rotted though body mounts (this has more junk in it to dampen, and much heavier sheet metal). The one i test drove was much quieter... who knows what the deal is, I hope it is just lack of sound deadening and i can remedy it, and not some balance issue. A proper alignment and tires will no doubt help the noise too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine has several rattle areas. I come from a fifty-two year-old camper; I’m rattle-deaf, I ignore them too easily.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have to say my'17 was quiet as a mouse upon delivery. Insulating the entire cargo section only improved on that though my purpose was to reduce radiant heat from entering. Can the varied results discussed here be related to the U.S. re-assembly process?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts