Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 Metris Cargo van has the door knockouts for OEM puddle lights but not the power connections. Does anyone know what color wire I may tap into with the driver door that will power when the door is open?

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Your vehicle is a network without a server, i.e., CAN bus. Others may have a better answer, but I am not sure you can just tap the CAN bus wherever you like. See CAN bus - Wikipedia

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Focus is correct. In older cars there would be a door open switch that would control a simple 12v current and turn on a puddle light to that specific door, and also provide one of a series of closes that could turn on other lights, like a dome light.

On more modern cars, that switch is micro switch that sends an input much like a key on a computer keyboard. That input goes to a computer which then executes a line or several lines of code, based on your settings, to send another signal to one or several relays, each of which turn on, for example, the front dome lights and puddle light for the specific door by closing the circuit to it’s 12 volt power source. There are a myriad of advantages to this, which aren’t important.

The only ways to wire in a light that would work would be to either install the appropriate lights, wiring, relays aswell as reprogram the computer to account for it... or to tap to another light that is already powered in the door and lit when the door is open. AFAIK the only light within the door powered that way is the puddle light, so that wouldn’t be possible. Additionally, you would be putting double-current through a wire not designed for it, which might be an issue, and would distinctly cause sections of your warranty to be... well, more easy to dismiss claims from, shall we say.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts