Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm strongly considering a Metris Passenger Van since I'll be having two more children within a year bringing it to a total of four.

My wife is used to driving Mercedes sedans with lots of comforts and technology, unfortunately the Metris has very few of those things. She's sold on the idea of getting the Metris, however, it was only through the path of customization that I got her mind to turn around.

Obviously, you could easily spend $300k on a Maybach edition Metris, but, I'm looking more at starting with a regular edition and simply adding a bit more luxury to the front two seats. Also since importing a V250 is basically impossible. Since the kids will be in car seats and such there's no real point to VIP spec the back (not now anyway).

A few areas I was considering starting out are the following:
Front Seats: It would be great to drop in some AMG style comfort seats that are heated/cooled with decent Leather. Are there seats from any other Mercs that work for this?
Door Cards: Would obviously accomodate the push buttons for heating/cooling and position. I'm guessing this is available in the Euro V250?
Radio/Entertainment: Upgrading the ancient head-unit to something a bit more 2018+ friendly Mercedes. I'm seeing there are a few aftermarket Android options that might work well and include the 360 camera retrofit which would be a nice to have.
Instrument Cluster: I really like the cluster on V250 as it has the digital display in the middle. I wasn't sure if this is something somewhat easy to retrofit with obvious coding implications.
Push Button Start: Obvious comfort feature which I know many Mercedes vehicles in recent years can be retrofitted for.
Airmatic: I saw some of the newer V-class vehicles have this and thought it would be an interesting idea. Other than plumbing and such for the lines, has anyone tried to do this or is it simply worth buying an aftermarket kit with auto-leveling?

If ya'll have any other ideas, I'm very curious as well. How can I bling up the driver's portion of the Metris on a budget? I'm a pretty good mechanic and have done many of these retrofit type jobs before so I'm not afraid of a challenge.

Thank you all in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
Front seats have airbags so don't mess with swapping. Get a Kenwood 10" head unit with wireless carplay and Android auto. No route to push button start. Forget the cluster. Get Vito seats and sliding rails for the back. Forget the suspension mods and save your money for you next van after the Metris.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm strongly considering a Metris Passenger Van since I'll be having two more children within a year bringing it to a total of four.

My wife is used to driving Mercedes sedans with lots of comforts and technology, unfortunately the Metris has very few of those things. She's sold on the idea of getting the Metris, however, it was only through the path of customization that I got her mind to turn around.

Obviously, you could easily spend $300k on a Maybach edition Metris, but, I'm looking more at starting with a regular edition and simply adding a bit more luxury to the front two seats. Also since importing a V250 is basically impossible. Since the kids will be in car seats and such there's no real point to VIP spec the back (not now anyway).

Front Seats: It would be great to drop in some AMG style comfort seats that are heated/cooled with decent Leather. Are there seats from any other Mercs that work for this?
Door Cards: Would obviously accomodate the push buttons for heating/cooling and position. I'm guessing this is available in the Euro V250?
Radio/Entertainment: Upgrading the ancient head-unit to something a bit more 2018+ friendly Mercedes. I'm seeing there are a few aftermarket Android options that might work well and include the 360 camera retrofit which would be a nice to have.
Instrument Cluster: I really like the cluster on V250 as it has the digital display in the middle. I wasn't sure if this is something somewhat easy to retrofit with obvious coding implications.
Push Button Start: Obvious comfort feature which I know many Mercedes vehicles in recent years can be retrofitted for.
Airmatic: I saw some of the newer V-class vehicles have this and thought it would be an interesting idea. Other than plumbing and such for the lines, has anyone tried to do this or is it simply worth buying an aftermarket kit with auto-leveling?

If ya'll have any other ideas, I'm very curious as well. How can I bling up the driver's portion of the Metris on a budget? I'm a pretty good mechanic and have done many of these retrofit type jobs before so I'm not afraid of a challenge.

Based on what you what in the van I'd say the rather bare bones van is not your best choice. Look for a more heavily optioned van or give the van a pass. Instead look into a M-B SUV. There's bling to be had.

Generally adding bling/features after the fact is hard.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,097 Posts
Welcome to MetrisForum.

The radio is a pretty straightforward upgrade.

There is a vendor for Vito rails and seats, present here on the forum.

Other things, I don't know they're do-able because advanced features most likely interact with upgraded control systems that are not going to be present on a Metris. I'm pretty sure an independent air kit can be installed ... AirMatic sounds like a whole different animal.

The Metris can be a great family hauler ... well above what the typical minivan: Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, etc can handle in terms of cargo capacity and weight, plenty of headroom, plus they have a flat floor. Great for DIY and shopping for larger items that may happen with a growing family; but, unfortunately and frustratingly enough MB has neglected creature comforts for the US version, so in different ways the " styling " can seem 20 30 years behind the competition. Great for somebody like me who prefers a practical vehicle, ordinary black dash and steering wheel, and push buttons for everything suits me a lot better than a dash full of chrome reflecting sunlight in my eyes, a finger print magnet touch screen that responds slowly, gauges that are hard to read, ...

I don't blame anybody wanting something more interior wise than a Metris offers. Certainly the first generation Metris passenger I saw at a dealership, did not impress me at the time. But in later years, having outgrown ordinary minivans space and weight limitations; plus some interior frustrations; meant I could look for something with extra space and actually appreciate a larger van that fits in a garage and has a previous generation ML vibe to it in the cabin. But that's really probably more a case of looking at my needs and the plusses; and accepting the status quo on creature comforts. Which may be hard to do for some people accustomed to 10-20 years of bells and whistles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Based on what you what in the van I'd say the rather bare bones van is not your best choice. Look for a more heavily optioned van or give the van a pass. Instead look into a M-B SUV. There's bling to be had.

Generally adding bling/features after the fact is hard.
I think the major downside is the need for not only seating 2 adults up front and the 4 kids in the back is the need for another adult in the car as well. My understanding is that 7 seater SUVs simply don't cut it in this regard which means we're basically pigeon holed into a vehicle like the Metris. Thus my somewhat frustration over the options available and taking the more DIY approach instead.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,097 Posts
Hopefully somebody can chime in regarding the seating for 7 or 8 in a Metris, and dealing with child / booster seats. I only have a Cargo van.

All I know from decades in minivans and a few SUVs, owned and rentals, that indeed 7 seats in an SUV either takes a huge SUV and even with minivans, I'd say most are a bit under sized. Or (young) adults have to be like pretzels in the back row. Not comfortable for extended trips. I don't like the second and third row stow and go from Chrysler/Dodge one bit. Fortunately I usually drove. It's been too long that I sat in other vans to comment. Metris wise though, I'd wager that the extra foot of interior height and the fact the seats don't have to fold into the floor; make for more comfortable seats. If perhaps a bit European in terms of support, rather than plush. So definitely check one out in person, maybe not just once.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
The Vito seats from Metrisforum.com or similar is the answer to good seating in the back for adults. Search the forum. There are many threads. 3 seat, 2+1 and singles are available depending on capacity needs or desires.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think the major downside is the need for not only seating 2 adults up front and the 4 kids in the back is the need for another adult in the car as well. My understanding is that 7 seater SUVs simply don't cut it in this regard which means we're basically pigeon holed into a vehicle like the Metris. Thus my somewhat frustration over the options available and taking the more DIY approach instead.
Have not had any need to stay up on what the choices are for 7 seater vehicles (SUVs). Still I think you need to be sure there are none that would suffice.

To help:

And there are more...

Use "best 7 seater suv" to search for more links. Probably have to read several reviews and then check out vehicles which receive favorable reviews from more than one source.

I think you are in for some real difficulties adding bling/features/options. I looked into adding a trailer hitch to my 2020 cargo van and it was expensive and complicated and there were many ways for the install to come out subpar.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,097 Posts
As far as 7 seater SUVs on that list. Long time ML & GLE driver here. I would not consider a GLE a 7 seater. I don't know how they managed to get an extra row in, have not sat in one with that setup, but have plenty of seat time and stowing time in both. There's got to be a serious compromise there for those back seats in the trunk ... and access will be tight with the bench forward. I guess I should try to check it out next time I go to the dealer.

A GLS sure. When our ML was getting a bit up there in miles and years; I wanted to get into a GLS. I looked quite closely, but cost gets quite up there and my wife did not want to drive something that big. So, status quo. GLE it was.

Personally, for 7 seats, I'd still look at minivans first, versus a potential gas guzzling SUV.

Do you need all wheel drive? Do you need to tow? Occasionally?

·
Registered
10 Posts

I trust you are aware that MB is discontinuing the Metris next year ? You may want to locate and confirm the availability of a new van before you get too deep into spec’ing one out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Based on "My wife is used to driving Mercedes sedans with lots of comforts and technology", I don't think there is anything you can do to make the metris work for her. My mom is used to Honda's and was SORELY unimpressed when I took her for a spin in the metris. GREAT for a work van and general hauling stuff/people - not comfort. I had a Honda Odyssey for years and the metris can not compete at ALL as far as creature comforts go.

·
Registered
191 Posts
As far as 7 seater SUVs on that list. Long time ML & GLE driver here. I would not consider a GLE a 7 seater. I don't know how they managed to get an extra row in, have not sat in one with that setup, but have plenty of seat time and stowing time in both. There's got to be a serious compromise there for those back seats in the trunk ... and access will be tight with the bench forward. I guess I should try to check it out next time I go to the dealer.

A GLS sure. When our ML was getting a bit up there in miles and years; I wanted to get into a GLS. I looked quite closely, but cost gets quite up there and my wife did not want to drive something that big. So, status quo. GLE it was.

Personally, for 7 seats, I'd still look at minivans first, versus a potential gas guzzling SUV.

Do you need all wheel drive? Do you need to tow? Occasionally?
To be sure the OP would have to check out each vehicle to ensure it would meet his and his wife's needs and factor in other things as well, in order to make the right decision. And I it is possible the decision could be "none of the above".

·
Registered
192 Posts
We have 5 kids. We went with the Metris for several basic reasons. No dinky center seat in the second and 3rd row. No pretzeling the bigger kids to just get into the seats. 6 real seats in the back!

It a comfortable and competent highway cruiser, it’s small enough and maneuverable enough for cities.

We’ve been happy over the 6 years we’ve owned it.

As far as creature comforts we added a dvd/usb movie player and a center console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 16 of 16 Posts