Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Metris 7 Passenger Explorer Conversion Van
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done my own maintenance since the 70's. Just got this Van & the ~6 year old battery died & would not take a charge. Purchased a new higher cranking amp AGM battery with the same dimensions. Hooked up the terminal & slid it into the track. About 70% in & it won't go any further. I suspect the cable is in some way blocking the battery. There is NO ROOM to see what is going on given the opening in the metal seat mounting.

I welcome any & all suggestions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You may need to pull the battery out long enough to see the red positive pole. Support it carefully as you pull out. There should be a red plastic protection cap on top of the positive cable connection. I noticed that this plastic protection may sometimes have a tendency to move slightly. Make sure it is seated when you push in the battery. If it still doesn’t go in check to make sure there are no obstructions in the latter 30% that prevents the battery from sliding in, and alll the cables will naturally “blend” in place. It is tight and a bit too tight in my opinion. At least once in place it should stay in place.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,046 Posts
I have not yet pulled my main battery out 🤞🏻 but would suspect the rear wire is not twisting back into the correct angle behind the battery as you are trying to put the new battery in. Do you need to adjust the orientation of the clamp, to get the farthest cable to behave?

·
Registered
2016 Metris 7 Passenger Explorer Conversion Van
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
suspect the rear wire is not twisting back into the correct angle behind the battery as you are trying to put the new battery in. Do you need to adjust the orientation of the clamp, to get the farthest cable to behave?
Removed the passenger seat in this conversion van. Don't know if the base is the same for the regular Metris. There is a fabric covered opening revealed which gives access to the left side of the passenger seat battery compartment. There is a plastic "shield" which extends ~1/2 of the battery compartment & I assume is designed to limit upward movement. This shield catches the cable & it simply folds up, stopping further insertion.

You were correct, I failed to note how the cable was affixed when I removed the OE battery. After several revisions, finally found an orientation that still didn't cooperate fully with that shield, but required less effort to get it completely into the housing. The orange protector fails to stay flat with the battery pushed in far enough to mount the hold-down bracket. I've removed the battery again & applied duct tape to the protector.

Thanks for your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts