Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone prepaid for maintenance or extended warranty and for how much did it cost? I just purchased my Metris off the lot, and the dealer tried to pile up all sorts of inflated extras at signing. Now, I'm not sure if there is a separate sales area for vans vs cars, and perhaps that had something to do with it.

Anyway, I said NO to all of it knowing I could purchase a warranty later after I had a feel for the vehicle. They wanted $4,600 for a four year maintenance plan claiming $1,000 and $2,000 regular services and that I'd be saving a lot of money! I was thinking I had just purchased a total money pit and was relieved when I was later quoted $270 for Service A and $450 for B at the same dealer's service dept.

What about extended warranties? Anyone think these will be worthwhile? I do have pretty much all the packages on this van, so more to break.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I got basically the same quote at signing. I brought the dealer a bank check so they obviously wanted to try and make some profit in Finance Dept. I declined everything... even though FI guy said, yes you can buy Benz Xtended warranty later, 'but it'd cost more'. Eventually I get one as I don't want any large repair bill later on in the van's life. Will it be MBUSA or a top notch local MB repair shop, I don't know yet. Given Mercedes repair costs and the complexity of todays electronic vehicles, I think extended warranties are a good idea if you purchased and keeping for the long.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
The maintenance is a bit of a crock, but I really do recommend the extended warranty. An out of warranty Benz is an expensive proposition, and trust me, things will break, and when they do, you will vomit at the sight of the bill. It's part of the cost of driving a 186 cubic foot van that can run the whole Pennsylvania turnpike with your cruise control set to 85, and three fingers on the wheel, slowing only for the tunnels- without stopping for gas.

(Just got home)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I bought it at purchase, which allowed me to finance its purchase price. I would recommend doing that to people who have the option.

It is also the reason to prepay for maintenance, although the premium is a mite high, so you aren't hit by sudden bills. Also keep in mind that the tranny fluid needs changing at 30k (and every 75k thereafter)- and I do recommend you do that. Also spark plugs are every 45k- they are a multi-fire design and don't last as long as the old single fire plugs. Or something like that- this is only my second car with these confounded spark plug thingamajigs.

·
Registered
483 Posts
It's part of the cost of driving a 186 cubic foot van that can run the whole Pennsylvania turnpike with your cruise control set to 85
Yep, just did I-77/I-64 through the mountains from NC to WV with cruise generally set at 82MPH. With two warm bodies and a good 500lbs of equipment... not a problem. Avg 20-22mpg.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought it at purchase, which allowed me to finance its purchase price. I would recommend doing that to people who have the option.

It is also the reason to prepay for maintenance, although the premium is a mite high, so you aren't hit by sudden bills. Also keep in mind that the tranny fluid needs changing at 30k (and every 75k thereafter)- and I do recommend you do that. Also spark plugs are every 45k- they are a multi-fire design and don't last as long as the old single fire plugs. Or something like that- this is only my second car with these confounded spark plug thingamajigs.
Shoot, that's right. First tranny change at first Service B, then every 75k. How frequent is the Service B compared to the Service A anyway? I miss the old mileage tables.

I still don't think the math adds up over four years though, and we should be able to plan for preventative maintenance. Four years and about 50k expected use for me couldn't cost more than 2–3 As (oil) and 1–2 Bs (oil, plugs, air filter) plus transmission fluid/filter ($600–800?). That's around $2,500 tops, about half the prepay price. Now if I put 150k on my van in the same time frame that would be a different story.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
They alternate. You service the van every 15k miles. Each type of service is done every 30k
So 15k=A, 30k=B, 45k=A, 60k=B and so on.

It seems expensive, but I do a $168 oil change every 15k miles, and my mother, who has that abomination, the Lexus HS250h, she has oil changed for ~$60 every 5000 miles as specified, or $180 every 15k miles. And I'm sure there are some various other maintaining things Lexus does over the course of 30k beyond just the oil change.

·
Registered
939 Posts
^not to mention time saved.

I'm springing for the ELW, and my labor is free anyway if that helps.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
15k service interval is great! Adding in the "or 1 yr" may or may not mean maintenance is really required, but not a big deal. Price is not a big deal either, coming from owning a couple Audis.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I passed on the prepaid maintenance, but relented and bought the extended warranty. This isn't my first Benz, and I have unpleasant memories of a transmission controller on an E320 that consumed about 4 Metris monthly payments. That being said, I still spent enough time scratching my chin in the finance office that they knocked a point off the finance rate in exchange for the extended warranty purchase. So I feel like I won a little bit. And I went with a 6 year 105,000 mile term. The base warranty is pretty lame at 3yr/36,000. One major component failure (transmission, engine issue) out of warranty will pay for the cost of the extended warranty in my opinion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Being my first Benz, I went all in on the maintenance and extended warranty because I want no surprises. Peace of mind was worth about a hundred bucks a month to me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I wonder if buying a MB extended warranty means maintaining your service with MB. At least with a third party like Lubrico or Coast To Coast, you can use your indie for scheduled maintenance, in case they want receipts before approving a higher end claim.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Nope. It only means extended warranty coverage. No receipts required.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nope. It only means extended warranty coverage. No receipts required.
So how do you prove that maintenance was performed when an engine, transmission or differential fails?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Why would you need proof if the failure is not related to so,etching like a lack of maintenance?
Due diligence? That you did your part in helping prevent an issue? Sure, a manufacturer defect is just that, but if you do not service your transmission since new and it starts slipping gears at 50,000 miles. Who's to blame? Who should pay?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
A transmission that's busting because it was manufactured improperly (or used too hard) looks quite different then one that is dying because of ineffective transmission fluid as an obvious result of not changing fluid. The fluid analysis they will undertake if they suspect it was due to you not changing the fluid will demonstrate that and your warranty claim will be denied with evidence on their part.

Basically, if you paid for their warranty, and they can't definitively determine it was your fault, they'll fix it. Mercedes does not want to get a reputation of gratuitously denying warranty claims- that is not how a luxury brand gets a reputation for engineering integrity that allows them to charge outrageous premiums for their products and the servicing thereof.

I.e. It is in their best interest to just honor your claim.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts