Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2016 Metris Cargo Van with 16,500 miles and already due for a tire change. I have had my Metris for two years and I drive mostly short distances as I have my business very close to my home. I am driving the van empty most of the time, the most I have loaded the van has been 400-500 lbs evenly distributed over the entire cargo area since I am carrying similar sized boxes.
I started to see outer wear on the front tires at 4-5' miles and took it to a local tire shop for alignment when I had about 8,500 miles on them, they did also rotate the tires. After the alignment the front tires seemed to be wearing at a slower pace.
I took it to the dealer for a recall and 15,000 Miles service at 15,500 and mentioned the tire issue to the dealer representative. They came back to me that the tires should be replaced and that it was dangerous to drive with my worn out tires. I asked him if it made sense to him to have a customer purchase new set of tires after 15,000 miles and he reaction was "I hear you man". He told me that they wouldn't cover for new tires and that I should call MB with a Ph.# that he provided.
I called MB on a recorded line and they said that they would revert to me after that they had spoken to the dealer. A week or so later they did call me back stating that the tires are not subject to warranty. It would have been a different story if I had gone back to the dealer within the first year and that they would have performed the alignment. Of course, there was nothing they could do at this point and they suggested that I should go back to the dealer for an out of pocket alignment and new set of tires.
This is so frustrating as you pay 30% more for a product and expect at least the company to take responsibility for whatever the flaws might be, since it is clear that this is a factory issue. It might be as simple as a bad batch of tires, regardless, you expect them to take responsibility.
Shame on you MB, shame on you!
Your star is not shinning as bright in my sky anymore!
What can we consumers do?

·
Registered
401 Posts
A big part of it is that the original tires that come on these vans are horrible....and that is often the case with many new vehicles. Put on a quality set of Michelins and they will likely last much longer.

I put thousands of miles on my set of michelin winter tires on my metris this past winter, and there's no discernible wear at all. The originals (I use them in summer) show wear on the edges up front with only a few thousand miles on them....

Personally I can't wait for them to wear out...so I can trash them....they are SO LOUD.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Which tires did your van come with? There's a long thread on this board about these issues, look it up, certain brands were delivered on 2016 models & have been known to wear more quickly than they reasonably should.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I own a 2016 Metris Cargo Van with 16,500 miles and already due for a tire change. I have had my Metris for two years and I drive mostly short distances as I have my business very close to my home. I am driving the van empty most of the time, the most I have loaded the van has been 400-500 lbs evenly distributed over the entire cargo area since I am carrying similar sized boxes.
I started to see outer wear on the front tires at 4-5' miles and took it to a local tire shop for alignment when I had about 8,500 miles on them, they did also rotate the tires. After the alignment the front tires seemed to be wearing at a slower pace.
I took it to the dealer for a recall and 15,000 Miles service at 15,500 and mentioned the tire issue to the dealer representative. They came back to me that the tires should be replaced and that it was dangerous to drive with my worn out tires. I asked him if it made sense to him to have a customer purchase new set of tires after 15,000 miles and he reaction was "I hear you man". He told me that they wouldn't cover for new tires and that I should call MB with a Ph.# that he provided.
I called MB on a recorded line and they said that they would revert to me after that they had spoken to the dealer. A week or so later they did call me back stating that the tires are not subject to warranty. It would have been a different story if I had gone back to the dealer within the first year and that they would have performed the alignment. Of course, there was nothing they could do at this point and they suggested that I should go back to the dealer for an out of pocket alignment and new set of tires.
This is so frustrating as you pay 30% more for a product and expect at least the company to take responsibility for whatever the flaws might be, since it is clear that this is a factory issue. It might be as simple as a bad batch of tires, regardless, you expect them to take responsibility.
Shame on you MB, shame on you!
Your star is not shinning as bright in my sky anymore!
What can we consumers do?
oshin76 thank you for sharing your experience I am sure, that others will appreciate your hurt, yes it's annoying when you see a Jeep dealer acting far better than Mercedes dealer, maybe that is why Mercedes is not as popular here in the US as it would be in Germany or Turkey...pity :-(

G

·
We just went through this as well. Complained at our A service that our van starting wearing out tires after the first B-service alignment. The service rep. charged me for the new alignment and shrugged his shoulders. Not sure what to do about it, I assume these new tires will wear just as quickly....

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I suggest you switch to Michelin Defender LTs; mine are at about 55% treadlife at 23k miles of use. I also have had no alignment issues whatsoever after changing tire brands- 3 alignments in 60k miles, no alligments in the 37k miles since. Wear has been even.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also owned a Sprinter until recently. It wore out the Kumhos is less than 28k miles replaced them at the dealer TWICE before 58K (A mistake of colossal proportions) My Metris is on it's third set at 53K as of today. I agree that the Michelins will wear longer but I can buy 2 sets of the cheap ones for the cost of the Michelins...

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Cheap tires on a work truck is a really really stupid idea.

My Michelin’s were $160 each. I don’t know how much cheaper you expect to find a 101H rated tire.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Cheap tires on a work truck is a really really stupid idea.
Not true.

I'm buying for my company't Ford Econoline 250 the cheapest tires I can get from Costco BF Goodrich since 2001 with no problems whatsoever. The van is usually loaded with ~2,500lbs beautifully. We always bring it back to Costco every 5K miles for free balance and rotation to keep them in good shape.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
BF Goodrich is not a premium tire; it’s made by Michelin actually, but it isn’t a cheap tire. I’m talking about the noname chinese garbage you can buy at Wally’s World of Specious Savings.

·
Registered
209 Posts
"Not true.

I'm buying for my company't Ford Econoline 250 the cheapest tires I can get from Costco BF Goodrich since 2001 with no problems whatsoever. The van is usually loaded with ~2,500lbs beautifully. We always bring it back to Costco every 5K miles for free balance and rotation to keep them in good shape."

How many lifetime miles do you average on those BFG's?

·
Registered
322 Posts
"Not true.

I'm buying for my company't Ford Econoline 250 the cheapest tires I can get from Costco BF Goodrich since 2001 with no problems whatsoever. The van is usually loaded with ~2,500lbs beautifully. We always bring it back to Costco every 5K miles for free balance and rotation to keep them in good shape."

How many lifetime miles do you average on those BFG's?
It's at the end of the third set of BFG now and about 250K miles BUT I don't remember when we purchased the first set after the OEM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts