Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been reading through the forums and have not seen a post that covers my question. Sorry if this has been covered before ...

I trying to learn the best way to power a small winch that will be used to pull an equipment cart into my cargo area. I have a 2020 Metris cargo with only the standard single battery. The winch I am thinking about is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ID981Z6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My thought was maybe pigtail a connector off of the battery under the passenger seat and either run the wire through the bulkhead or even just outside the passenger door and into the cargo area. The winch will not be used regularly, maybe a few times a month. The load is probably only 400lbs or so. It won't even be permanently installed, rather just anchored to the rings on the floor of the van.

Is there a better way to go about powering the winch? Any tricks for running power through the bulkhead? My bulkhead came factory-installed, metal with plexi window with some vent slots I was thinking I could pass the wire through.

Thank you for your help, really appreciate it!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I personally would prefer a lever hoist secured to the van with a bridle. You don't have to mess with wiring and you can the hoist for lots of other stuff.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You could also consider a portable winch, there are many to choose from on Amazon. Powered from the van battery or a rechargeable lithium battery or plugged into a wall outlet, they are versatile and can be used for other projects and not tied to your van as Gottlieb suggests.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hi all,

I have been reading through the forums and have not seen a post that covers my question. Sorry if this has been covered before ...

I trying to learn the best way to power a small winch that will be used to pull an equipment cart into my cargo area. I have a 2020 Metris cargo with only the standard single battery. The winch I am thinking about is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ID981Z6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My thought was maybe pigtail a connector off of the battery under the passenger seat and either run the wire through the bulkhead or even just outside the passenger door and into the cargo area. The winch will not be used regularly, maybe a few times a month. The load is probably only 400lbs or so. It won't even be permanently installed, rather just anchored to the rings on the floor of the van.

Is there a better way to go about powering the winch? Any tricks for running power through the bulkhead? My bulkhead came factory-installed, metal with plexi window with some vent slots I was thinking I could pass the wire through.

Thank you for your help, really appreciate it!
That winch pulls 80 Amps, so you'd better use a beefy gauge pigtail and fuse. Not sure whether a direct connect will trash the alternator if used while running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a warn drill powered winch that I use for exactly this, and many other purposes. All you need is a mid size cordless drill to power it. My favorite portable winch option. The lever one above looks even more rock solid, but looks like a lot more effort. I bet either would be great though. Warn is a great brand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like the idea of an electric winch wired directly to the battery, along with an in-line fuse.
Using the remote control allows you to guide items into the van while controlling the pull.
I'll be doing this myself to assist loading heavy generators...

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I would not do that unless you have the aux battery option. For that application, a winch powered by a lithium pack that you can recharge from your 12v, like a cell phone back up battery, is a better idea than tapping into the main battery electrics.

MB electrics are complicated and fickle and I would avoid tapping directly into them besides methods that are factory approved.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes, you could get something like This and attach it to the cart and the lead end to the tie downs in the van. That would give you portability, versatility, and non reliance on your starting battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts