Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't see a need for power sliders, but a power hatch might be a good thing.
The Metris hatch is large and not well balanced like most hatches I've dealt with before. I'm 70, my wife is soon to be 68. We're both below average height, and with the normal loss of strength and mobility that most people develop as they age, closing the hatch can sometimes be a bit of work, especially if one hand is holding a package or purse. I might buy a factory installed power hatch, but an after market DIY install would not interest me.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't see a need for power sliders, but a power hatch might be a good thing.
The Metris hatch is large and not well balanced like most hatches I've dealt with before. I'm 70, my wife is soon to be 68. We're both below average height, and with the normal loss of strength and mobility that most people develop as they age, closing the hatch can sometimes be a bit of work, especially if one hand is holding a package or purse. I might buy a factory installed power hatch, but an after market DIY install would not interest me.
One of the reasons we wanted the doors. The hatch is huge and heavy to close. My 5' nothing wife did not want to have to jump to close it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would have liked double doors too, but visibility is poor out the back with the double doors so we have the single hatch. Overcoming the force of the struts that prop this heavy hatch is difficult for people with shoulder problems like myself. If available, I would buy the power kit and if possible, program the keyfob to open/close.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would have liked double doors too, but visibility is poor out the back with the double doors so we have the single hatch. Overcoming the force of the struts that prop this heavy hatch is difficult for people with shoulder problems like myself. If available, I would buy the power kit and if possible, program the keyfob to open/close.
This one apparently uses the keyfob to operate according to the instructions

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think is a good idea, I always find the tailgate hard to open and close, so I use the sliding door the most and that is also why the door broke down within a year. The tailgate won't self close most of the time, I need to pull the handle up again and press it down to close it. Sometime I need to release few time in order to close properly, usually I will notice the tailgate not close when I back to the sit and see the message on the dashboard, so need to run back and forward to close it and I hate touching the dirty tailgate specially in winter time. One way I found to overcome it is by opening one of the door, so it can release inside pressure that generate by the closing. The pull back is that the aftermarket, you don't know how reliable in time they are. Every time I close the tailgate will wake up my boy when he sleeping inside.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Appear that this power hatch can adjust the height of the tailgate door opening. This can be a handy feature. Although the Metris fits my garage OK, the fully opened tailgate door is quite tall and rest against my garage opening.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Has anyone tried this? It actually doesn't look overly expensive. I wonder if it works and is something that can easy be reverted back to stock without a mess. There is an option to have it open based on waving your foot under the rear bumper like a lot of vehicles these days. That would be handy when you are carrying a box etc and just want the hatch to open. Groceries etc. Same is true for closing. Its raining and you grab your gear and run inside. From the house closing the lift would be a nice convenience and would bring the van closer to the other family vans with this feature.

I am just skeptical it would work great and last a long time. I want it to work great.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought the kit, but have not had time to play with it yet. Reverting back to stock would not be too much trouble, I think. Just the struts and a couple of pieces on the latch mechanism. I am trying to find some buttons that look more "factory" than the ones that come included in the kit, the included buttons are big and ugly.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I bought the kit, but have not had time to play with it yet. Reverting back to stock would not be too much trouble, I think. Just the struts and a couple of pieces on the latch mechanism. I am trying to find some buttons that look more "factory" than the ones that come included in the kit, the included buttons are big and ugly.
Cool! Do you have any indication if your kit is generation 2 or 3?

Got a picture of the buttons? They don't look too bad in the videos. Can you tell if they are simple momentary press buttons?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts