Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Not trying to scare everyone, but it was brought to my attention from a MB tech that on the M274 engine, there have been problems with an out of spec. wrist pin which causes piston slap. A tell tell sign is a noisey engine on start up. I know direct injection is loud. There is a service bulletin out now and MB is trying to keep it on the low down. It's TSB #L103-10P060916. It's on engines made before 20 April 2015 or serial number 400,000. My engine is louder than it should be, I believe and I understand the whole DI thing. Just wanted to throw it out there. Not sure if I'm going to take it in soon or not.

Lane
Do you think your engine was made before April 20, 2015, was in storage and not installed into your van for almost a year? IMHO would not think Mercedes would have thousands of engines in storage for months.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks for reply, I know you say "paperwork says" Production Date 2/2016 but what date does the sticker in the door jamb show?
Door jamb says "3/2016"

·
Registered
470 Posts
Waking this up. Has anyone had anymore engine replacements or problems?
No issues with new engine so far over here. I have been a little less of a lead foot after break-in. I'm coming up on 45k miles, time for spark plug replacement. Lane, you for hire? :unsure::)

Reactions: focus805

·
Registered
2017 C300 Coupe/ C230 kompresor
3 Posts
2017 C300 coupe 49,000 cracked piston. Was told MB was going to replace whole engine but when I picked it up they said they only decided to replace the Piston that cracked yet they couldn't find the piece of the Piston that cracked and they replaced the turbo and the Cadillac converter and sent me on my way also with a broken windshield that happened while there at the dealership while they were fixing my car. The car runs worse than it did before and they're trying to tell me that the shaking and the constant jerking from gear to gear is normal for that platform the 205 platform.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Well this is a Metris forum, not a C class forum So I have no idea what goes on with your C class. Given your apparent dislike of your Mercedes perhaps it is good they installed a Cadillac converter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well this is a Metris forum, not a C class forum So I have no idea what goes on with your C class. Given your apparent dislike of your Mercedes perhaps it is good they installed a Cadillac converter.
*catalytic converter That's what happens when I use voice to text. Thank you Mr. Spell check Nazi. Anyway the reason I posted that situation of mine is because when I Googled "piston problems in a Mercedes 205 platform" this is what came up. I'm just trying to get any type of information that I can from any Mercedes-Benz owners. Also, I don't dislike Mercedes or my c300 Mercedes. My family and I have been extremely loyal mercedes benz customers. My parents owning 2 at this time, 5 total over the years and myself owning 4

·
Registered
201 Posts
Calm down guys. It’s a lesson we all have to learn multiple times. Read over your post before sending. Modern apps make lots of mistakes.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Life is too short to rush, and too important to take seriously.

I haven’t heard of Metris models with piston problems, and I would guess we’d hear about it here if it happened. My van has about 121k miles on it; besides the PCV issue I have had nothing go wrong with the engine/drivetrain side of things.

I’m surprised you and your family are such mb loyalists when you have such a d-bag for a dealer. I love the cars, but the exceptional honesty and extensive customer service I get from my dealer is a major contributing factor to my brand loyalty.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Green, only 121k!?!?
I thought you'd be closer to 180k by now.

I agree that good service at the dealer is almost a necessity. It's just that it's so hard to figure out if they're conning you or not. I think my dealer (which is not the closest one but I'm purposely avoiding that one) is pretty good. But I'm glad I looked at my last service bill closely. They charged me a few hundred more than it was supposed to be. They chalked it up to the bill being started by one person and finished by a different one. I'm willing to extend grace, especially during the pandemic. I'm mostly pleased with this dealer but I have to consider the jury 'still out'. I need a few more interactions.

Sometimes I get the impression that the only way to run a profitable dealership is to run some cons. Maybe not with every customer, and maybe not in all departments?

The other day I asked the cashier at the dealership if she owned a MB. She matter of factly told me 'no'. It was as if she wouldn't even consider it. Hmm.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The other day I asked the cashier at the dealership if she owned a MB. She matter of factly told me 'no'. It was as if she wouldn't even consider it. Hmm.
How many cashiers of any type would buy a Mercedes on their pay?

My Metris is my first and last Mercedes. It's going in Thursday for failed A/C after just 66k miles. My local service dept has treated me well.

I've never returned to the dealer so many times for broken crap on any vehicle as I have for this van, and it’s not even 4 years old.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Having been in business I have learned that a lot of companies (quite a few of which are on the Fortune 500) seem to think the only way to make money is to con your customers. In fact I have only met personally one CEO of a large company (always happy to give the late Al Boscov of Boscov’s Department Stores a shout out for this) who didn’t seem to think that at the very least some carnival-style manipulation was needed (actually he gave that practice the epithetA of “moronic” and “meshugge” - crazy in Yiddish). Car dealers think that, generally speaking, too.

Some businesses have learned learned that treating customers right, concentrating on return business, and being fair is how you build a strong business. My dealership charges high (although not bad by MB standards) for service, and they get it from me because I trust that every penny billed is for stuff that is actually needed- if I caught them charging for BS, they would get none at all.

My driving has gone down a lot. I have managed to make my business more mileage efficient.

and @Tree95? At my dealership there are four women that work the cashier desk; two of them drive late model CLAs, one drives a 2010 S550, and the final one drives a black ‘95 E300D almost identical to mine. Three of them have been working there as long as I’ve been servicing my cars there.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
There were problems with some of our engines, it was caused by a undersized wrist pin from their vendor. It being undersized created a piston problem.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am skeptical of dealers but I find I get what I give with most people most of the time. Trust but verify. One lie and we're done.

·
Registered
86 Posts
How many cashiers of any type would buy a Mercedes on their pay?
The 2020 GLA has an MSRP of $34,250. That doesn't seem like it would be out of reach of someone who works at an MB dealership, especially if they get any kinds of perks for being employees. Now, a cashier at the Zayre's or Family Dollar, yeah I agree.

I did not expect to enjoy driving this Metris as much as I have. It's got plenty of things that I don't like and I HAVE spent quite a bit more on it so far than I would expect from such a new vehicle but I don't think I've had quite the trouble you've had.... yet. I'm just about to hit 40k. We'll see.

I suspect that the future of MB is more affordable vehicles which probably means less exquisite designs but also, better reliability and cheaper maintenance?

·
Registered
3 Posts

I haven’t heard of Metris models with piston problems, and I would guess we’d hear about it here if it happened. My van has about 121k miles on it; besides the PCV issue I have had nothing go wrong with the engine/drivetrain side of things.

I’m surprised you and your family are such mb loyalists when you have such a d-bag for a dealer. I love the cars, but the exceptional honesty and extensive customer service I get from my dealer is a major contributing factor to my brand loyalty.

"I’m surprised you and your family are such mb loyalists when you have such a d-bag for a dealer"
Hi, why wouldn't we be loyal. We do not think the dealer is a d-bag. Just trying to trouble shoot the existing engine problem and get it properly fixed

21 - 39 of 39 Posts