Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not trying to scare everyone, but it was brought to my attention from a MB tech that on the M274 engine, there have been problems with an out of spec. wrist pin which causes piston slap. A tell tell sign is a noisey engine on start up. I know direct injection is loud. There is a service bulletin out now and MB is trying to keep it on the low down. It's TSB #L103-10P060916. It's on engines made before 20 April 2015 or serial number 400,000. My engine is louder than it should be, I believe and I understand the whole DI thing. Just wanted to throw it out there. Not sure if I'm going to take it in soon or not.

Lane

·
Registered
939 Posts
Also noise on rev deceleration. Rev it and let off and listen. Our engines are noisy btw.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not trying to scare everyone, but it was brought to my attention from a MB tech that on the M274 engine, there have been problems with an out of spec. wrist pin which causes piston slap. A tell tell sign is a noisey engine on start up. I know direct injection is loud. There is a service bulletin out now and MB is trying to keep it on the low down. It's TSB #L103-10P060916. It's on engines made before 20 April 2015 or serial number 400,000. My engine is louder than it should be, I believe and I understand the whole DI thing. Just wanted to throw it out there. Not sure if I'm going to take it in soon or not.

Lane
Do you happen to have the TSB you could post and/or more info on how to tell if your engine is affected? Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Emcain, I don't. I was told about the problem and started doing reserch and found the tech bulletin for this motor. Most of the problems seem to be on the C300, but we share the same engine. I'm probably going to take mine to MB of south Charlotte and let them take a look. MB knows the affected numbers, so I hope they step foreword. My Metris build date is October. 2015 so I should miss the March 2015 engine build numbers but not sure. I will report back when I decide to take in or better yet just run the production numbers on the affected engines. They know the F'ing numbers...it's like the Takata airbag fiasco, they know where they are, they need to step up!

·
Registered
483 Posts
small WORLD! I bought my Metris from MB of South Charlotte. What did you think of your sales & service experience so far? I had the center muffler (service bulletin) work done... no issues since.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mowo, I bought mine in Pa. It was the only red one I could find with the options I wanted. I live in Fort Mill so MB of south Charlotte is only 5-8 miles from me. I don't think we have anything to worry about, hoping anyway. The info I got was from a tech. at Hendrick of Charlotte. You live around here?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Raising from the dead.

So my '16 Metris cargo slowly developed a 'clanking' noise over the course of 24 hours or so. Had it towed to the dealer and they called today and said Mercedes engineers said to do a compression test and the engine may need replacing. It's still under original factory warranty. I searched around and didn't see anyone talking about their Metris having the wrist pin or piston slapping issue. Sure would like to hear what was their outcome.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mowo, that's strange. The way I understand the problem is, you know about it early on. I hope things go well for you. These engines are very robust. Some of the AMG cars with this engine is pushing I believe 300-350 hp.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Raising from the dead.

So my '16 Metris cargo slowly developed a 'clanking' noise over the course of 24 hours or so. Had it towed to the dealer and they called today and said Mercedes engineers said to do a compression test and the engine may need replacing. It's still under original factory warranty. I searched around and didn't see anyone talking about their Metris having the wrist pin or piston slapping issue. Sure would like to hear what was their outcome.
Well, a new or remanu'd short block is a heck of a lot better than a sharp stick in the eye! It's good you caught it with the warranty in place.

Not sure I know all the Metris noises. My ear is pretty well experienced, and I think the DI sound is a bit like valve clatter, only softer, more transient and less rhythmic.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
It’s rail clatter, common to all direct injection engines, relating to the high pressure in the fuel rail. It sounds vaguely dieselish because diesels have the same kind of injection action.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mowo, that's strange. The way I understand the problem is, you know about it early on. I hope things go well for you. These engines are very robust. Some of the AMG cars with this engine is pushing I believe 300-350 hp.
Well, a new or remanu'd short block is a heck of a lot better than a sharp stick in the eye! It's good you caught it with the warranty in place.

Not sure I know all the Metris noises. My ear is pretty well experienced, and I think the DI sound is a bit like valve clatter, only softer, more transient and less rhythmic.
Update: After 11 days with the dealer they replaced the engine. Paper says 'noise coming from the bottom' ran compression test, MB engineers said pull pistons and check bearings, send them 'pictures'. Very strange ordeal, but as you said, glad it was caught (happened) under warranty (2.5 yr / 30,500 mark)... $0 out of pocket, sign n drive.

Reactions: focus805

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mowo, yours is probably a early 2016. There was a certain batch number of affected engines. I believe it was undersized wrist pins that got delivered from the vendor, mfg. If you don't mind, could you post up the mfg. date...it's in you driver side door jam. Glad you were covered, as you should've been.

·
Registered
591 Posts
It’s rail clatter, common to all direct injection engines, relating to the high pressure in the fuel rail. It sounds vaguely dieselish because diesels have the same kind of injection action.
Perfect description. Yes, did I read the rails have near 3000 psi at times?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Update: After 11 days with the dealer they replaced the engine. Paper says 'noise coming from the bottom' ran compression test, MB engineers said pull pistons and check bearings, send them 'pictures'. Very strange ordeal, but as you said, glad it was caught (happened) under warranty (2.5 yr / 30,500 mark)... $0 out of pocket, sign n drive.

Out of curiosity, was a complete engine or just the bottom end?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Out of curiosity, was a complete engine or just the bottom end?
Secure engine to engine stand and tear down to provide pictures to PTSS. After pictures and results provided rec. measure was to replace engine. Special ordered engine.
-- direct from customer copy of service

So it seems the former.

Just put 250 highway miles on it today and it's running good as 'new'.

Reactions: focus805

·
Registered
483 Posts
What is your manufacture date in the door ? Thanks
sorry I missed your post earlier.

Paperwork says: Production Date 2/2016
Delivery Date 9/2016

It's my understanding that the engine will have a different (earlier) date.

·
Registered
209 Posts
sorry I missed your post earlier.

Paperwork says: Production Date 2/2016
Delivery Date 9/2016

It's my understanding that the engine will have a different (earlier) date.
Thanks for reply, I know you say "paperwork says" Production Date 2/2016 but what date does the sticker in the door jamb show?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts