Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone.

I am in the market to buy a new Metris van for my blinds business. My Ram truck just don't cut it anymore. I like the size of these vans and just need to put a deal together.

So far I can't find one close to me that has the options I want and none of the dealers are to willing to order one. They just try to get rid of what they have in stock. Good thing I am in no hurry to buy one.

Lots of good info on here that help me a lot. I am just shocked on what the service cost is on these. I tame my Ram in to the dealers every 7500 miles, and pushing 40 000 now, and never paid more the $75. O well, everything comes with a price.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mercedes in general require a higher level of love and patience than your standard bread and butter varieties.

Keep researching these forums. Take the Metris out for a spin in the day, in the night and preferably one that is equipped the way you want it, as many times as you want. Make sure you are willing to commit once you buy.

I would love to see the 4MATIC option available, but I want to be sure its soon or never. Or I may just go with a used 4x4 Sprinter.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
That's, afaik, against MBUSA policy. If you are willing to wait for it, they let you order it. Odd that your dealers have an aversion to sales...

·
Registered
271 Posts
If they aren't into selling you one, how the heck will they be competent enough to service it? I'd inquire about that little nugget as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I found mine using Google: <Metris "cold weather package" "driver side sliding door" ...>. Came back 0.72 second later with six candidates. Then sent info to the dealer on the one I thought would be best. They didn't have a problem with getting it shipped in. (I'm in MN, the van was in TX.) There are a lot of problems that could pop up but I was ready to fly down to get it if I needed to.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice. I just need to set time aside to go and get it done. The local dealer is not big on the "commercial" fleet and the next closest dealer is an hour away. Time I don't have. I did a such at all the dealers in a 150 mile radius and they all have crap on them that I don't want and don't have what I want. I will just keep looking till I find what I want.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Chances are slim waiting for a dealer to get a van EXACTLY as you want will happen. It seems they always order it too heavy or too thin on the package/options or most cases the wrong combination of the such. Best thing is to make a list with MUST HAVE column and others ACCEPTABLE, and NO WAY JOSE! Or just order it like you want it since you're not in a rush. Personally the latter is what I would have went with until I found a van that had 90% of the options I wanted and the others I could live with. For example, I wasnt too keen on paying for the Active Safety Package, but it is turning out to be the most valuable-added feature. Blind Spot Assist is in my eyes a MUST HAVE for the Cargo Van...even if you have rear windows, which mine does not.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chances are slim waiting for a dealer to get a van EXACTLY as you want will happen. It seems they always order it too heavy or too thin on the package/options or most cases the wrong combination of the such. Best thing is to make a list with MUST HAVE column and others ACCEPTABLE, and NO WAY JOSE! Or just order it like you want it since you're not in a rush. Personally the latter is what I would have went with until I found a van that had 90% of the options I wanted and the others I could live with. For example, I wasnt too keen on paying for the Active Safety Package, but it is turning out to be the most valuable-added feature. Blind Spot Assist is in my eyes a MUST HAVE for the Cargo Van...even if you have rear windows, which mine does not.

I think I will end up just ordering one like I want. I do have a list of must haves and want to have, but the list of don't want is long and the cold weather package is in that list. There is NO way I will pay $730 for that in sunny California and I don't want the partitioning either. And most of the ons have them around here.

So, when I have some time I will sit down with the dealer and find out what need to be done to order one they way I like. I do have time to wait for one, so that is a plus.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why order one? When you can get a left over '16 for $8000 off msrp.
First off, there are no 2016 left overs around here with a $8000 off of msrp, second - none of the 2016 available is remotely spec like I wand and this is my "office". If I pay that kind of money I want to be happy.

I did a search last night in California and the closest spec one is 650 miles away and they are only willing to do $4800 off of msrp.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
650 miles sounds like a good shake down for the drive home. Just saying. Also, $4800 is just the start of negotiations. You can talk more off, I'm sure.

I do understand what you mean by your van being your office. Mine is literally my office. My wife is a non driving house cleaner, and I am writing a reasearch-oriented book on retail. I spend much of my days sitting or laying on the back seat of my van with my laptop for internet research, or driving to places for conducting first person research. People for whom a vehicle is just the family car can compromise a lot more than someone who spends 30-40 hours a week in the vehicle.

Just to mention about the cold weather package- I don't know where you are in California (California is known for areas of endless sphitzing as well as its fine ski slopes, after all) but- the Enhanced Airconditioning package is an extreme option for providing cold AC during long-term idling on hot days. The Cold Weather package is an important option for models that EVER encounter substantially cool temperatures. A few people have made the mistake of seeing it as a glorified "heated seats" option, but the auxiliary heater and heated washer fluid tank are actually important if your world regularly gets down into the 40s or so. The standard heater on the Metris, according to many members who have it (that is, don't have the cold weather package), stinks. I do have that package, and think the heater is awesome by the way.

Not saying you need to have it. If you are in LA you can probably get away with not having it. Frisco is another matter. Just making you aware of that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
First off, there are no 2016 left overs around here with a $8000 off of msrp, second - none of the 2016 available is remotely spec like I wand and this is my "office". If I pay that kind of money I want to be happy.

I did a search last night in California and the closest spec one is 650 miles away and they are only willing to do $4800 off of msrp.
Yeah, there was none around my area either! That's why i looked nationwide. Found exactly what i wanted in North Carolina and at 8000 off msrp. Cost $1100 to ship home to AZ. I'm a happy camper!! Best van ever!!!Even though the passenger mirror sucks. Also, my Metris drives almost as good as my G37. Which is just pure craziness for a cargo van!!! haha

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in La Quinta California by Palm Springs. The winters are mild with less than a handful of days close to 32. summers are another story. 110 plus for 3,5 months straight. Never used the heater in my truck, but the ac works overtime.

I can't recall seeing the "Enhanced Airconditioning package" as an option on the cargo van though. Have to go and look again. That I will pay for, the cold weather package, **** no!!!!!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had to drive from sc to pa. to get what I wanted. Red paint, 270 doors, built in hitch, no glass, back up camera and mud flaps. It was worth it. I rented a car and dropped it, picked up van next day and drove through the country for most of the way home. I totally love this van. I drive it outside of what I bought it for which is for my motorcycle and mountain bike, light camping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts