Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My name is Eric and I live in San Francisco. I have been looking for a replacement for my 1990 VW Vanagon which I have loved for many years. It had the perfect combination of space (for my windsurfing equipment) and small size. I am looking to get a Metris cargo and wanted to get your opinions on how to convert it to my specific needs (waterproofing floor, install plywood panels,...etc).
Looking forward to joining the club! Thanks.
Eric

·
Registered
58 Posts
As VW Bus owner, from my split to my last T4 TDI Eurovan, now current owner of 3 personal Metris and a 11 in the process of conversion, I can attest that this is "the" spiritual replacement for the T3 Vanagon, same character, same presence, same oddities, but with an aura of a fresh, new vehicle.

While we are all the way in Quebec, originally from BC, what ever questions you may have, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Daniel
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just joined the forum and looking for this use as well. I can't PM ekramers yet, but curious what he has learned so far. I am thinking about a weekender setup with poptop for windsurfing needs. Curious about flooring and how the poptop will do in strong wind conditions. Is one better than another?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi. I bought my Metris for hauling my windsurf gear. I had a Nissan 1500 van, which was wonderful, but lost it and all my sailing gear in a fire. When looking to replace the Nissan, I wanted to get a smaller van, but it needed to be large enough to hold my boards and gear. With shorter boards these days, all my gear fits behind the front seats. I built a platform out of 1.5 inch pvc for easy removal when not needed. My Sails, masts and booms all fit under the platform. The boards go against one wall held by straps. This leaves plenty of room on the platform to sleep when needed. I live on the central coast of California, sailing mainly at an inland lake, Lopez, but I travel to the Gorge once a year and make the long trip to Bird Island in Texas twice a year staying for a month each time. So far the Metris has been awesome. Love how it drives and handles.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi wsurfin1426,
I am planning currently the build out of our passenger Metris Doing lots of research online and consult with my windsurf Buddy's back home in Germany on their conversions. I think I will go some what in the direction of a semi camper with sail and board storage. very much what you see in these pictures. Even if its an older Vito model it gives you a good idea of what can be done. In the past I always had a cargo van and the first think I did was a plywood, vinyl floor through out the entire space, sealed with silicone around the perimeter. It worked very well to prevent water running inside and underneath the floor when changing inside the van or to store wet sails and boards inside.
Also to store wet sails and boards Her is also a interesting UK site of action campers.
http://www.actionvanconversions.co.uk/CamperVan-Conversions/mercedes-vito-bike-windsurf

Love this one here with the foldable board rig. something I will try to integrate into my conversion:
http://www.quiverack.co.uk/AV-SUP-Club-News/2012-updated-version-of-actionvans-2-berth-n-surf-for-mercedes-vito

When you google "Vito windsurf camper coversions" you will find lots of cool inspirations. Even if you come across a build threat from france you can convert simply with google crome in browser to read it through;)
http://www.trafic-amenage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11217

On a side note, Mercedes is the official sponsor of the German Windsurf Cup since a couple of years now, promoting the entire line of their Vito - Marco Polo campers. Promoted by German windsurfers such as Bernd Flessner under "Surf Garage" , "Sport Garage" and "Surf Bett"....
https://www.auto-medienportal.net/artikel/detail/35322
Sorry this vid is all in German but you get the idea;)

good luck and keep us posted!:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
So many great ideas...
I am in TX, so ventilation is key. My current vehicle is a '09 Honda fit. We have had 2 Honda Odysseys when the kids were little. I took over the first one (1997) when the my wife wanted an upgrade in 2004. When we had the bad gas crisis in 2007, my friend challenged me to check out his Fit. Due to better fold down seating, I was able to get as much gear in as the old Odyssey and big improvement in MPG. No passenger though without a roof rack. I hurt my foot recently on a botched vulcan attempt, and my wife had to drive my car since it is 5 speed MT, and I drove her 2011 Pilot. My car is full of sand and has a definite funk...that I can't smell, but she and the kids hate. She was not happy. The Fit is still going strong at 144K, but more space and possble overnight camper might be very cool. A running shower feature hook up looks awesome. AWD would be great on the beach, but looks like that is not happening. Any concerns there?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts