Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took in my 2016 passenger to local MB dealer for recall service of fuel line. I had previously had this done prior to 36K warranty expiration. After first service under warranty the fuel smell issue was resolved. After the recall repair the smell returned!!! Has anyone else had this occur?? I have since return twice to have fixed but to no avail. Howis it possible that the real fix makes the problem return??? Fuel smells now emanating from ventilation system rather than wafting up from footwell. Has anyone else had this issue on there 2016 and if so found a solution? my local dealer is saying they can't find any reason for smell. However do agree the smell was present. So far it is most prevalent as start up and abrupt stops. Presumably when gas sloshes in tank.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
585 Posts
They still need to fix it and should continue to fix it under the recall. Talk to them nicely and discuss with the service manager. Fuel is a big deal and life threatening. Fumes are harmful.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
155 Posts
Fuel vapors are harmful to human health.
Fuel system leaks & vapors can cause vehicle fires.

My 2c. To me this is critical. The dealership simply needs to do the work again, new parts, check things 1000%, they may have damaged something during whatever work they did, maybe there's an issue with the new line or hose (porous, weeping, ...). The smell has to be coming from somewhere. And, if the smell is not there with a warm car arriving at the dealership for service; they need to duplicate the circumstances with a cold car, whether parked in the cold overnight, etc. *

Get the service manager to escalate it with MB. Regional management or national.

If it does not get proper attention, I wonder if contacting NHTSA would help push the case in your favor.

* I had to do this with my ML, for a strange high pitched noise after driving in winter & spring, a number of visits, could not duplicate. A motivated master mechanic and service manager will take care of it. They kept my ML overnight in their garage. Ran it for 30 min outside. Shut it off. Strange noise. Yay!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently took in my 2016 passenger to local MB dealer for recall service of fuel line. I had previously had this done prior to 36K warranty expiration. After first service under warranty the fuel smell issue was resolved. After the recall repair the smell returned!!! Has anyone else had this occur?? I have since return twice to have fixed but to no avail. Howis it possible that the real fix makes the problem return??? Fuel smells now emanating from ventilation system rather than wafting up from footwell. Has anyone else had this issue on there 2016 and if so found a solution? my local dealer is saying they can't find any reason for smell. However do agree the smell was present. So far it is most prevalent as start up and abrupt stops. Presumably when gas sloshes in tank.
When they did mine they replaced the fuel line that failed they also replaced the plastic pan, as it absorbed gasoline ,they said it wasn't part of the normal repair

1 - 4 of 4 Posts