Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone compared the dimensions of the Reimo and Sports mobile poptops? We just got a passenger van and are looking do do a weekender conversion. I looked at them both and the SM poptop seems significantly roomier. I have gotten measurements from some very kind people but have not found any spec sheets on either (SM does have bed dimensions on website). I thought I'd throw it out here to you all. Pros/Cons to the different poptops available in northern CA?
thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,334 Posts
The question is really SCA brand top vs something else. Most everyone installs the SCA top. You can call and ask what Reimo is installing these days.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I spoke with Travois.ca . They have a top of their own design for the 135 wheelbase. I think it is silly for the pop top to begin forward of the B-pillar.

G

·
I have two months of contemplations on the Sportsmobile top for the Metris. I believe that attention to the aesthetics of the combination of the body and the new top is lacking. They get C-; function is good, execution of the details is sloppy.

Even though the top is proprietary to the Metris, the designers could have shaped the top better to fit the contours of the body more closely. Think pork pie hat versus a smooth continuous contour.
The front of the top could have been farther back, to let it match the slope of the windshield. More radius to the edge of the sides would match the vertical lines of the top to the side of the body.
The rear line of the top deserved more consideration as well. Too much ugly to suggest an improvement in two months.

The edge gasket for the top does not seal well with the body. Mud daubers are going to love the gap at the rear.

The black glazing for the fixed piece at the top of the windscreen was not applied by someone experienced at such.

The headliner gasket is irregular. It seems to have been pulled too tightly in some places.

A thick line of surface rust appeared inside the front doors. The metal dust from the hack had impregnated itself in the door seal and spread to the paint. Larger particles had scratched the metal.

No recommendations wanted, I understand my course of action. If you don’t understand my description and have questions I will answer them to clarify.

I have pics, but no place to post them on this site.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I agree with your design and aesthetics complaints. The Eurovan Westy top is the gold standard CF Maier should have shot for with the SCA 152.

From what I've seen, the GTRV top for the 135 looks pretty good should I go that route with my 135 Cargo. I don't think they have the plastic "mattress" springs shown on the SCA 152. Here's what Mark Landon from GTRV told me:

"Yes, you can come visit the shop. I don't always have a 135" in production, though. They are very new. I do have one here that will likely be here for the next two weeks. Let me know when you'd like to come out and we'll get you on the schedule.

No problem on the windows. Our top brings the height of your van to approximately 81". Timing usually takes 2 to 3 weeks. What color is your van, by the way?"

I mention it because I think the GTRV version looks a bit better. I swiped the pic below from their website -- it's the 135 version. I much prefer the CRL windows to the sliders on the pic below.

Attachments

G

·
I understand, thanks. These buggers give you infinite galleries, but ten pics. They need the server space for skin chat ads. I’m looking around to post my build pics elsewhere, as well. I’ll post that link on this abortion when I do it. Nothing personal, my droogies, I put up with it because some of you guys have skills and know how to write.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Focus—are there any pictures of the 135 WB top when it’s battened? The GTRV photos are erection shots.

Not that I've seen. The top is pretty big when erected.

G

·
I was describing it’s shape closed. I haven’t had many chances to see it open long enough to study. If anyone knows of a pic of the GTRV, either wheelbase, point to it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I was describing it’s shape closed. I haven’t had many chances to see it open long enough to study. If anyone knows of a pic of the GTRV, either wheelbase, point to it.

Based on height specs, it looks like the GTRV top adds 5.8 inches, bringing the overall height to 81 inches instead of 75.2.

G

·
It’s roughly the same. What I would like to see, out of interest, is how the contours of the GTRV top flow into the contours of the van body when it is fastened down; how it looks going down the road; and sitting still, with no canvas showing.

·
Registered
869 Posts
It’s roughly the same. What I would like to see, out of interest, is how the contours of the GTRV top flow into the contours of the van body when it is fastened down; how it looks going down the road; and sitting still, with no canvas showing.
Me too. I have kind of interpolated that view from some of the other tops shown. The front is far more streamlined than the SCA without use of a separate air dam. Definitely more the Westy aesthetic, but a (bluntly with no offense meant to GTRV) more home-built look to the 'glass layup and interior finishes than the SCA, at least from the pix.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
GTRV roof pics

I made a gallery of GTRV roof pics both in an out and up and down.
HTH!

G

·
Yes, I have examined the pics of your build in your gallery. Your design looks very functional so far. I do want to see more; the link you posted took me to a Narnian 404 page, or something. I have to build my own, as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Creag - I am also dissatisfied with the Sportsmobile build. Besides the finer points you mentioned, they drilled the brackets for the latches for the top too high, so the latches come undone while we are driving. Due to the weight of the top it only pops up a little, adding wind noise, but it's pretty scary and really not what I paid for. They just paid to have a local body shop fix it, but jeez, what a pain. I think ours was one of the first (fifty or so? I don't know but I hope that's their excuse) they did, so hopefully they've tightened up their process by now. AND, one of the hydraulic arms came detached from the side of the van. Luckily we discovered that at home rather than upon arriving at a campsite. The body shop guy here said they used the wrong sized bolts when attaching it in the first place.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Creag - I am also dissatisfied with the Sportsmobile build. Besides the finer points you mentioned, they drilled the brackets for the latches for the top too high, so the latches come undone while we are driving. Due to the weight of the top it only pops up a little, adding wind noise, but it's pretty scary and really not what I paid for. They just paid to have a local body shop fix it, but jeez, what a pain. I think ours was one of the first (fifty or so? I don't know but I hope that's their excuse) they did, so hopefully they've tightened up their process by now. AND, one of the hydraulic arms came detached from the side of the van. Luckily we discovered that at home rather than upon arriving at a campsite. The body shop guy here said they used the wrong sized bolts when attaching it in the first place.
I have also had the latches pop off the SCA top while driving. I think it is partly the design because they have short hooks that don’t allow for much compression of the tent material. I have tightened up the brackets by moving them down in the bolt slots but popping loose still happens.

What I have done to stop the latches popping out is to wrap a mini tie down strap around each latch and bracket. This keeps the hooks in place since they can’t swing out from the bracket with the strap holding them in place.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts