Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am planning to buy a Metris passenger van and have pop-top roof installed. I have been in contact with Sportmobile west and Tourig and have similar price quote for the roof and installation (around 10K). The painting work however is around $1000, and $2000. I am wondering if anyone has the pop-top installed and then has local paint shop finish the paint work which I presume should be cheaper. Obviously, if I can get a white van that would obviate the paint.

Also, is it possible to install roof rack on the SCA roof? Sportmobile said they can not add roof rack to the SCA. I am wondering if I can add the roof rack myself after the roof has been installed. Do I have to drill into the roof for that?

GTRV also has their own pop-top roof but from the picture it is not as refined as the SCA. Anyone who has GTRV roof want to share the photo and experience?

Thank you,

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I doubt that much paint of decent quality would be cheaper than that. Painting is not cheap.

The roofs are made, iirc, out of fiberglass. I would guess the structure of the roof is not made strong enough to bear the extra weight of a rack- and certainly not in the up position while loaded.

G

·
They told me no roof rack when I was at Sportsmobile; and they recommended that I not mount a rack. For me, it would be a tough decision to add holes to that new $10,200.00 + roof anyway.
The new top makes a side awning hard, if not impossible, to install using the rail slots.
The white gelcoat matches well with the Artic White.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The GTRV roof needs painting even in white. I'm not sure what you mean by 'refined'. I can take some pix of mine if there is some aspect you are concerned about. One thing about the GTRV roof is the upper berth is easily removable, the SCA is attached to the roof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The GTRV roof needs painting even in white. I'm not sure what you mean by 'refined'. I can take some pix of mine if there is some aspect you are concerned about. One thing about the GTRV roof is the upper berth is easily removable, the SCA is attached to the roof.
What I am wondering about the GTRV roof is how easy the bunk bed can be lifted up to create standing room inside the van. From the pictures I saw on their website you have to stack the bunk towards the rear of the van. I would appreciate if you could post some pictures of the roof especially when the bunk is clear or lifted up to create standing room.

Also, does GTRV roof come with windows or screen and can you install roof rack on top of it?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,453 Posts
You could always skip the paint and have the roof "wrapped" after you get it back from the install. Not sure it's going to save a ton of money, but you can do interesting things with wraps. You could use one of the reflective films for a center section to help reflect heat/sun. You may like being able to change colors every few years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
GTRV roof

What I am wondering about the GTRV roof is how easy the bunk bed can be lifted up to create standing room inside the van. From the pictures I saw on their website you have to stack the bunk towards the rear of the van. I would appreciate if you could post some pictures of the roof especially when the bunk is clear or lifted up to create standing room.

Also, does GTRV roof come with windows or screen and can you install roof rack on top of it?

Thank you.
The bunk bed is easily moved to stack on the rear portion. I've removed the front half until needed for more headroom and access to the roof fan. It has screens on the sides and a window on the front with velcro covers. When I picked it up the front portion had been stacked even with the top down. But, they don't recommend that. No rack but I think there is sufficient infrastructure for one. Lifting more than 100 lbs might be an issue. You should ask GTRV. I'll get som pix up next time I have it out.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,453 Posts
Does the GTRV top setup have any sort of spring system for the mattress? I really like the SCA plastic springs for airflow and spring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Peace Vans team told me that while the arctic white is the right color match, they are finding small imperfections in the SCA tops and they prefer to treat those which then requires paint. In effect, they require paint to the SCA tops. They have full body and paint shop and I have every reason to believe they know what they are talking about. They also said roof racks up to 55KG was approved by the manufacturer. They did say you definitely can install a white SCA top as is and it's highly unlikely you'd see an issue but they require the treatment and paint out of caution - I think they said they were assisting with a warranty claim from another upfitter on an SCA top? they are pretty responsive.
MyTourig has pictures on their site of a Fiamma with the SCA top. It looks great. I'm definitely going awning

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,453 Posts
The Peace Vans team told me that while the arctic white is the right color match, they are finding small imperfections in the SCA tops and they prefer to treat those which then requires paint. In effect, they require paint to the SCA tops. They have full body and paint shop and I have every reason to believe they know what they are talking about. They also said roof racks up to 55KG was approved by the manufacturer. They did say you definitely can install a white SCA top as is and it's highly unlikely you'd see an issue but they require the treatment and paint out of caution - I think they said they were assisting with a warranty claim from another upfitter on an SCA top? they are pretty responsive.
MyTourig has pictures on their site of a Fiamma with the SCA top. It looks great. I'm definitely going awning
Looks l like they have a nice pic of the top with roof rack and the Fiamma. Nice looking van actually. Wonder what they do for seats with those L tracks. They have a Rhino rack on the Raven config. Interesting. Wonder what they put on that rack. I could definitely see putting a hot water array on the roof. Solar. But I'd be mildly concerned about uplift and side winds causing stress to the top with anything large.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Peace Van Modern Metris Camper I rented last fall had a roof rack, looked like the mounting was straightforward but I didn't ask.

I'm in the middle of ordering from Peace and am torn on the Flamma awning. Looks great, but what about wind noise / resistance while driving?

·
Registered
50 Posts

Thank you.
Some pix of the GTRV roof in and out both up and down are now in a gallery.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,453 Posts
Thank you. Looks good. The front has a smoother contour than the Sportsmobile.
I think you mean SCA top. Sportsmobile just installs an SCA top.

I think the SCA top is substantially more refined, but if the front aesthetic is key or you need for the long wheelbase then it's the obvious choice.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Some pix of the GTRV roof in and out both up and down are now in a gallery.
my experience with pop top would be not to add anything on it, if I don't want to have a problem take the roof down in a hurry, think of heavy rain, hail, high wind. With my roof I have to make sure, that the canvas is all nicely tucked in, I may add solar panel (the soft kind) on the roof and I am planing for extra storage to get a metal box for the back door.

Lala had a super idea here, instead od Fima 35 of 45 to get a half tent, that you can roll the sides up and you have screen walls I am going to get that for summer time. Specially the screens are important and must be good ones for the NO SEE UMS in Florida, Georgia, the southeast .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts