Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I’m new here so forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. A search didn’t turn up anything.

Three days ago I purchased a used 2020 Metris Getaway from a dealership that has only 230 miles on it. It wasn’t until I got home that I noticed 3 small holes in the poptop canvas. Has anyone successfully replaced just the canvas on the pop top? Has anyone had it covered by the warranty? I know we can patch it, but it is disappointing.

Additionally, the elevating struts that hold the bed up don’t work. I can’t find the replacement parts for them.
Needless to say the dealership isn’t so interested in helping us now that they’ve cashed the check. I feel totally ripped off after paying nearly $80K for a almost new van.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Plant

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,728 Posts
Welcome. Can you show some photos of the holes? You can replace the tent, but it's rarely done. Much easier to patch.

The struts are covered by your warranty. Call the dealer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi
Which dealer did you buy the van from? It looks like one of the vans we built for The Swickard Group which owns several dealerships. The dealership should most definitely help if - indeed - the struts aren't working. They can contact us for a replacement set and swap them out for you. On the tent, as Pounce said, it's best to just patch. There should be a small patch kit in the passenger side window. Many of the tents have very small pin holes from the factory - pin being a bit of a overstatement - they are almost microscopic and do not impact the performance. But if you have a tear - that's another thing all together. You can replace the tent but it's expensive and a big job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
Which dealer did you buy the van from? It looks like one of the vans we built for The Swickard Group which owns several dealerships. The dealership should most definitely help if - indeed - the struts aren't working. They can contact us for a replacement set and swap them out for you. On the tent, as Pounce said, it's best to just patch. There should be a small patch kit in the passenger side window. Many of the tents have very small pin holes from the factory - pin being a bit of a overstatement - they are almost microscopic and do not impact the performance. But if you have a tear - that's another thing all together. You can replace the tent but it's expensive and a big job.
Thanks for the info. The holes in the canvas are quite small and it makes me feel better hearing that it isn’t unusual. We’ll just patch it. I’m probably overreacting because this is huge purchase for me!

We did buy it from Swickard! Small world. We actually bought it from their Honda dealership, but will plan on having it serviced at their MB dealership in Wilsonville, OR, of course. I think maybe they were using it for a demo or something because it was listed as “used” but only had 230 miles on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome. Can you show some photos of the holes? You can replace the tent, but it's rarely done. Much easier to patch.

The struts are covered by your warranty. Call the dealer.
Thanks for the info. We’ll just patch it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds good and congrats! Feel free to ping us (Peace Vans) for extras (awning, heater, operable windows, etc.) once you get over how much you already spent :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Struts may not be working properly due to the cold weather.
Thanks for the info. I believe these struts need replaced, but good to know for the future.
Sounds good and congrats! Feel free to ping us (Peace Vans) for extras (awning, heater, operable windows, etc.) once you get over how much you already spent :)
We’re already planning our next move. Talk to you soon… ish. 😅

·
Registered
2021 Driverge Getaway
24 Posts
I have a 3.5 inch tear in the screen of my poptop. Driverge didn't have any recommendations for patching other than replacing for more than 3 grand. I don't think that the patch kit that came with the Getaway is for the screen. Are there any recommendations for the screen? I was thinking about either tear-aid type A or type B repair tape, but don't know which, if either, is suitable. I also contemplated stitching it together with braided fishing line, but I think repair tape might reinforce the tear better.

·
Registered
2021 Driverge Getaway
24 Posts
Struts may not be working properly due to the cold weather.
You may also want to try opening a window if you're having a problem with lowering the bed/top. Last camping trip my 16 year old daughter was literally hanging by the straps trying to pull close the top until I opened the door. Once the air pressure was relieved, the top came down easily.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,728 Posts
You may also want to try opening a window if you're having a problem with lowering the bed/top. Last camping trip my 16 year old daughter was literally hanging by the straps trying to pull close the top until I opened the door. Once the air pressure was relieved, the top came down easily.
It's very important to open a door when doing this. You can damage the hinges and cut the tent. It's also very important to have the bed down when closing the top.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m having the opposite problem. My bed won’t stay up. Good to know about opening a window! I wouldn’t have had any idea.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Forgive pls if you know this. Be sure to magnet latch your latches to prevent pin holes or worse. I had a couple and used this for repair.
Packaging and labeling Font Carton Box Logo
Font Material property Electronic device Circle Rectangle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! I’m new here so forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. A search didn’t turn up anything.

Three days ago I purchased a used 2020 Metris Getaway from a dealership that has only 230 miles on it. It wasn’t until I got home that I noticed 3 small holes in the poptop canvas. Has anyone successfully replaced just the canvas on the pop top? Has anyone had it covered by the warranty? I know we can patch it, but it is disappointing.

Additionally, the elevating struts that hold the bed up don’t work. I can’t find the replacement parts for them.
Needless to say the dealership isn’t so interested in helping us now that they’ve cashed the check. I feel totally ripped off after paying nearly $80K for a almost new van. View attachment 20339

Needless to say the dealership isn’t so interested in helping us now that they’ve cashed the check. I feel totally ripped off after paying nearly $80K for a almost new van. View attachment 20339
I wouldn't worry about the three pinholes in the canvas. My Weekender has had three pinholes in the canvas since the canvas was brand new and after 18 months and lots of camping it hasn't been a problem, even in some heavy rain. I can see light through the pinholes but water doesn't seem to penetrate and the holes haven't increased in size.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
372 Posts
Tear Mender is a great product. I use it for everything from gluing the puppy ears to patching my work gloves. Turns to rubber in 15 seconds. Rubs of non porous surfaces but don't get it on your clothes - it's permanent, although mineral oil will soften it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tear Mender is a great product. I use it for everything from gluing the puppy ears to patching my work gloves. Turns to rubber in 15 seconds. Rubs of non porous surfaces but don't get it on your clothes - it's permanent, although mineral oil will soften it.
Good to know! I love that you use this on uncooperative puppy ears. Better than duct tape? So few people on here will know what the heck you’re talking about. 😂

·
Registered
2020 Getaway
8 Posts

this matte black color scheme is awesome.

·
Registered
2020 Getaway
8 Posts
I have a 3.5 inch tear in the screen of my poptop. Driverge didn't have any recommendations for patching other than replacing for more than 3 grand. I don't think that the patch kit that came with the Getaway is for the screen. Are there any recommendations for the screen? I was thinking about either tear-aid type A or type B repair tape, but don't know which, if either, is suitable. I also contemplated stitching it together with braided fishing line, but I think repair tape might reinforce the tear better.
Did your Getaway come with a patch kit? I don't see one in my Getaway and I need to patch a small hole. Wondering if that patch kit is standard issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts