Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Is your US Metris a Cargo or Passenger, and how severe are the problems you've had?

• Cargo version, Minimal problems

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Cargo version, Average problems

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Cargo version, Severe problems

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Passenger version, Minimal problems

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Passenger version, Average problems

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Passenger version, Severe problems

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There has been talk in this forum ever since it began about whether the disassembly and reassembly of the US-bound Cargo version suffers from more problems than the Passenger US-bound version, which is only assembled once. In the interest of finding out, I offer this poll.

I intend for the sub-categories to be these:
Cargo version with each of three frequencies of problems, and the same for Passenger version.

Define Minimal = what you would expect from a new to 3 year old car; no shop time longer than one day.

Define Average = maybe one one multi-day period without use of vehicle.

Define Serious = several instances of multi-day lack of vehicle use, especially for the same problem.

Sorry for not including Canadians, but Canadian Cargo models do not go through disassembly and reassembly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 2016 Cargo. I would say my van's build was average in quality by your categories. Two major fixes done on warranty for me: a replaced exhaust system and a replaced speedometer.

·
Registered
205 Posts
2016 passenger:
New passenger side mirror. Free.
Gasoline smell fixed. Free. Now it's apparently a safety recall.
Alignment out of spec. Resulting in abnormal tire wear which then resulted in early tire replacement.
Rattles aplenty.
Never had to leave it overnight, but I'd say build quality is only average though. More problems than other new cars I've owned. Still love it though and would buy another.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Still haven't picked my 135 cargo up yet, but I had a really encouraging call with the salesperson and service manager about the big three issues I've learned about here. NHTSA has not extended the fuel smell recall to the long wheelbase yet, but the dealer is going ahead to get parts for me NQA if I have an issue.. Also agreement on performing the torque check (did the bolt move?) for me (eyes on) and checking alignment to save those 'kooks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Shouldn't there also be an option for no problems at all?

I've had my Metris passenger since May and it has needed exactly nothing. All I've done is clean it, change the oil once, and add washer fluid.

Reactions: focus805

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shouldn't there also be an option for no problems at all?

I've had my Metris passenger since May and it has needed exactly nothing. All I've done is clean it, change the oil once, and add washer fluid.
I would put this in option 4, Passenger, Minimal.

I was trying to keep it as simple as possible and still get meaningful results. There is a 10-option maximum in creating the poll.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I voted Passenger average however I have lost use of my vehicle several times due to dealership issues and terrible parts availability. We've had the fuel smell on several occasions even after one hose was replaced. I also had the crankcase vent issue that took my dealer three times to figure out, then a week of waiting for the part and they couldn't be bothered to install it properly either. Have had several alignments and lots of rattles at this point. Service A and part of B was done by the dealer as well. Still not happy with the tire wear but it seems better at this point.

Currently at 37k.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I voted Passenger average however I have lost use of my vehicle several times due to dealership issues and terrible parts availability. .

Very good point. Both Cargo and Passenger will be equally susceptible to service and parts availability issues.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I’ve had a few problems- paint and a bad something in the nav/stereo/interface (all three were eventually replaced). There have been a few other things so far, but none that I can conclusively prove we’re not related to a rear ending (I needed the latch replaced on the hatch twice- once as part of the repair process and again about a year later due to the door being baldy misaligned) and going off road and banging my front end into an embankment (I suspect the hood latch might be related to that- I needed new radiator supports and an intercooler )

This is over the past 91k miles, and honestly, I’d call it average. The vehicle has been out of service a lot more than you talk, but that is partially because my dealer knows I don’t care how long it takes them to work on my car so long as I have free wheels. (Poor me, I have to suffer driving a brand new well-specced GLC or GLE for a week!)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the poll! Hmm, I've had the alignment and fuel hose problems so far at 30k. Does that count for "average"?

It would be interesting to ask a separate question about why respondents are here in the first place (interested in learning about Metris or came here to address problems). That could be used to gauge bias, since I'd suspect the raw results will be skewed simply based on the demographics of forum members.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Thanks for the poll! Hmm, I've had the alignment and fuel hose problems so far at 30k. Does that count for "average"?

It would be interesting to ask a separate question about why respondents are here in the first place (interested in learning about Metris or came here to address problems). That could be used to gauge bias, since I'd suspect the raw results will be skewed simply based on the demographics of forum members.
We should be fan boys and girls as forum users. As far as bias, that cuts both ways. While we love these vehicles, as a rule we are more knowledgeable and hyper-critical as compared to a "casual" vehicle consumer.

The point of the Metris is that its "bones" -- engine, trans, chassis -- are at or above American (read Ford/Chevy/GMC and not Italian Pentastar **** wagons) light commercial vehicle standards. This makes sense in light of the protective chicken tax tariff which has allowed (pre-Sprinter) the US-built trucks and vans an economic advantage. MB is wisely selling the Metris cheap as a trade for market share. Hmm, that never happens in the US, I mean, the last time Amazon tried that it only destroyed Main Street.

So my bias is to buy value products at a bargain price. My Dad always quoted his grandmother -- "I'm too poor to buy cheap things." By that standard, I'm betting the Metris will be a super bargain over the long haul.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would call it average.

I thought a lot about how to formulate the question. One question, maximum 10 options. I thought about Consumer Reports surveys I've answered, but they arrive at their data from many specific questions. So far the 19 results from this poll are beginning to be informative.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Skew is unavoidable. People often frequent forums more when they have problems. But I would think that percentage would be the same for both Cargo and Passenger owners.

Also, let me give credit to our forum and its members. Members here seem to be more level-headed than in any other forum I've belonged to over the years - possibly as a reflection of the very practical nature of the Metris. No pretension here. (End of rant)

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So far, our poll has had 23 responses: 10 Cargo, with 10% indicating average problem frequency, and 13 Passenger, with 30% indicating average problem frequency. All others are minimal problem frequency. No responses indicating severe problem frequency.

I do not draw any conclusions from this yet, as 23 is a small number, and the poll has only been running for two weeks, and around the holiday season at that. I am pleasantly surprised that Cargo van owners have not indicated any more frequent problems than the Passenger owners.

(Posted in part to "bump" the thread.) Thanks to all who've participated so far!

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
340 Posts
Kudos to River for trying to quantify the reliability issues with the Metris.

Of course this is all pretty subjective. I rated my experience as average, but did so reluctantly. I bought my 2016 cargo used about 21 months ago. It has been in for a warranty recall and is currently waiting for parts for the crankcase vent. Two issues in 21 months isn't too bad. But..... the crankcase vent issue has been dragging on for 6 weeks now. Six weeks to resolve a Check Engine Light! I've owned maybe a 12 to 15 vehicles in my life. I've NEVER waited for 6 weeks to get just one problem fixed.

As a matter of full disclosure, there are no Metris dealers in Alaska so the work is being done at a Freightliner (Sprinter) dealer in Anchorage. But, in theory, it shouldn't be that much of an issue. Its quite possible that someone else could end up a long ways from a Metris dealer and have to rely on a non-Metris repair shop to get them back on the road. I'm sure glad I didn't have the problem in some far flung place like Tok or Chicken (Alaska) or Dawson City (Canada).

So in the context of the other vehicles I've owned, I'd say I'm currently severely disappointed with MB and the Metris. Its a great van to drive and I love its size, but if it can't be repaired in a reasonable amount of time at some place other than a Metris dealer, I've got serious doubts about how feasible it is to own if you venture away from those dealerships.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since there have been a few threads lately discussing problem severity, and a possible difference between cargo and passenger, I thought I would bump this thread back up to try to get additional input. So far there doesn't seem to be much difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts