Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all are probably going to say use the search function, but I tried that! it doesn't work.

I'm trying to build a platform bed, looking for some inspiration from anyone that has done it already.

Was thinking of attaching wood or aluminum rails directly to the walls of the van.

If anyone has any resources let me know!

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,452 Posts
Y'all are probably going to say use the search function, but I tried that! it doesn't work.
Works fine for me.

Use the existing mounting points on the sides. Look at the upfitter documents that provide locations and specs. Search will help you find that.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
342 Posts
Hmmm... Search has never worked for me either.
Do you mean the google custom search at the top right?
It just comes back with a colon:

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
342 Posts
tried "search this thread" for "bed" came back with "Sorry - no matches."
changed it to "platform bed" came back with "database error"
??
I must be doing something wrong.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I concur with the consensus of using existing mountain point. I would not suggest drilling into the metal. If I was building it I would use wood not aluminum; it will provide a potential mount for other things, and you have plenty of payload.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found the specs, good stuff. I think my plan will be to bolt some 2x4 into those existing holes and then place some 1/2" or 3/4" plywood on top to make the bed. Does this sound like a good idea??

I'll post some photos when I end up doing this!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Found the specs, good stuff. I think my plan will be to bolt some 2x4 into those existing holes and then place some 1/2" or 3/4" plywood on top to make the bed. Does this sound like a good idea??

I'll post some photos when I end up doing this!
sf1990 why not have your bed "free standing" that you can remove it any time you need to use your Metris for something else ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
My platform bed consists of three panels that rest on metal side rails. The panels are easily removed when the bed is not needed. I did not install the system myself. It was installed by Van Specialties near Portland, Or. They have been doing this for Sprinters for a long time, and have designed some strong and light panels for this purpose. The panels span the whole width of the Metris without center support.
When travelling they stack on top of each other (on the side rails) behind my custom bus type passenger seats. The side rails are a bit higher than the sink and stove cabinets, so at night the panels cover the cabinets.

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
341 Posts
You didn't say whether you have a cargo or passenger model. The cargo vans have M8 attachment points in the rear above the wheels that would be ideal as attachment points. (See attached pic.) I'm not sure if the passenger vans have them. You could span the passenger side siding door with heavy duty drawer slides. I use a pair of slides rated at 500 pounds for my sliding bed platform and they work good.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here’s my simple setup in a passenger van. I have sliding rails that allow the middle seat to slide forward and back. When slid all the way forward (with rear bench out), I put three 2 by 4 foot Lifetime height adjustable tables (model #80160) behind the middle seat to make a 4 by 6 foot bed, set at the lower height. I have a comfortable 73 by 52 inch trifold mattress that fits on top of this platform.

When we want to hang out, one of these tables gets moved up to between the seats (front seats have swivels) and the height gets adjusted up.

The nice thing about these tables is that they are light and sturdy and easy to move and we have found them useful to have around.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
The folks commenting here gave me really good advice on my build and beyond. I have the cargo version and set the bed up similar to imants. I used the existing M8 spots on the sides and attached precut L brackets from Lowe’s on each side. The screws were the strongest available from a specialty nut and bolt store in town. I then bought some 3/4” thick shelving boards and cut 3 to fit across into the L brackets. We do have some removable rod supports under each of the 3 boards but we are small and it’s probably not necessary. We have the Zinus sofa bed full foam mattresses over the boards, it will fold in half easily (roof holds it in place) so that we can use the forward board as a table. All the boards can come out in a few minutes, piled on top of one another etc. It was very easy to do.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
It’s not that hard to just buy some stock at Home Depot or a scrapyard and weld it together. Then you can make it exactly the dimensions you want it to be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts