Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am rebuilding an engine on a 2016 Metris. I removed pistons and I have to install them back. Which direction the arrow goes? Towards the front of the engine or towards the back ( torque converter) . Thank you .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. Thank you for your help .
I bought this van in Auction. Salvaged title flooded vehicle. It bent a rod on piston no 1 due to sucking water in the engine

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you guys know what are the timing marks for this engine ? At some point I’ll have to put back the timing chain. Thank you .

·
Registered
414 Posts
Brave soul

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dang...that's a big deal. Good luck with it. I assume that since a rod is bent it was driven in high water as opposed to just a flood car? I hope you keep us posted on the progress. are you a professional tech or a great shadetree? I'm a gear head and have worked cars,airplanes and motorcycles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dang...that's a big deal. Good luck with it. I assume that since a rod is bent it was driven in high water as opposed to just a flood car? I hope you keep us posted on the progress. are you a professional tech or a great shadetree? I'm a gear head and have worked cars,airplanes and motorcycles.
I am a mechanical engineer and I have a small construction business. I used to rebuild older engines, diesel ones. Never opened up a newer engine like this. Waiting to get piston rings from ebay. Dealer only sells them together with the pistons, way too expensive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I started the engine today without all necessary parts ( still waiting to get the intake manifold ) it starts and runs rough due to cracked intake manifold . Now the transmission won’t let me put it into gear . It says do not shift gears service required

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
You paid $11,500 for a Mercedes just because it had low mileage but was practically electrically destroyed in a flood? Your logic is cockeyed, fella.

i woulda bought a good condition van with a quarter million miles over that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Going by $11.500 now . It has only 28.000 miles :)) that’s the only good part of the story
Got to give you huge Kudos , that is the only way to learn if you have the time !
I hope you don't end up spending too much $$
If your motor is still out of the van, if possible? could you do a favor and shoot big side photos of the engine (drivers side) so we can reference all the plastic Emissions tubes, valves and most importantly the breather box in deep behind alternator against the block,, this would be real handy in getting in that tight space and not being able to see
thank you very much

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You paid $11,500 for a Mercedes just because it had low mileage but was practically electrically destroyed in a flood? Your logic is cockeyed, fella.

i woulda bought a good condition van with a quarter million miles over that.
The only electrical component affected was the transmission module which is the lowest electrical piece on that van. The van drove thru a ocean wave , sucked water in the filter bent a pushing rod and stoped. No water got inside the van and there is no electrical damage. Everything is dry and working properly except the transmission module which got very little water thru the breather but is was salt water very corrosive. It’s a very good deal. Van is is pristine condition .
78114E69-405D-4178-85F2-04462FD97240.jpeg
5046475C-8101-41EE-A108-19A13A30071A.jpeg
78114E69-405D-4178-85F2-04462FD97240.jpeg

·
Registered
414 Posts
Something tells me the Manumetris loves working on vehicles of this complexity and did his due diligence in researching the docs/history and inspection of this Cargo Van. Definitely rooting for him to 'Win' this challenge.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You have not only an amazing talent, but a profound courage as well. You can be the first nominee for the golden boxwrench award for the most challenging Metris repair-it-yourself project.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts