Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you use, where and how?

What do you like/dislike about it?

With the windshield so far away, I was thinking about a suction cup alternative. But where, how?

How do you elegantly get power to your device?

Do you mount a tablet or other device as well?

Remember: If there are no pictures, then it didn't happen.

DB

·
Registered
196 Posts
Which do you use, where and how?

What do you like/dislike about it?

With the windshield so far away, I was thinking about a suction cup alternative. But where, how?

How do you elegantly get power to your device?

Do you mount a tablet or other device as well?

Remember: If there are no pictures, then it didn't happen.

DB
so far I have not found an elegant place to attach anything, so I am using industrial velcro on top of dashboard in the centre to att garmin GPS map. it works good it's not obstructing any view perfect reach and perfect to drive this way, true it does not look as the navigation in Marco Polo but does the same thing as the fancy navigation. If you find a place to att phone, tablet, laptop, garmin, in elegant place I surely would like to see the photos, I was even thinking to rearrange the cupholders up front, but than you have to look down while driving. Lots of space on the dashboard for clipboards :-( it's delivery truck :) not a fancy camper :) that I am using it for :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just a piece of acrylic cut to fit the slot. Acts as a lid to keep the paperwork in place.
imacd, is the gadget on the windshield front camera? Do you have it plugged into the display of the garmin? I have my backup camera plugged in this way, but I red somewhere, that I can use it for front camera also at the same time. Have you seen your front camera helpful?...same setup different car :)

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
276 Posts
I don't have the dashcam connected to the garmin, but it can connect to a smart phone by wifi. I rarely look at the front camera, just for events that I want to review. Like insurance, I'm happy if I never really need it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I believe I have solved my phone mounting problem, and I did it with only three items.

First, because I am right-handed I needed it to be just to the right of the steering wheel. Secondly I wanted to have whatever mount not block my view through the windshield as much as possible. This did the trick. Because it extends across the long distance between the dash and the windshield, it mounts low on the glass.

The mount and holder are two items. The mount is the "Arkon CM117-SBH Replacement or Upgrade Long Arm Windshield Suction Mounting Pedestal with 2T Swivel Pattern" ($20 from Amazon). The holder for my phone is the "Arkon Phone and Midsize Tablet Holder for iPhone X 8 7 6S Plus...", $13.00 at Amazon.

Next, I didn't want any slacked cables floating around the mount. I found this half-foot "Skiva USBLink Duo Short 2-in-1 Sync and Charge Cable with Lightning & microUSB for iPhone" on Amazon, a two-pack for $21. It connects perfectly into the USB port and thence to the phone with virtually no slack to spare. (Sequence: Phone goes into cradle first, then connect cable... not the other way around.)

I tried a number of combinations of Ram Mount products, but none had the reach. I've been driving this around and I really have nothing bad to say about this set up.

The suction cup is secure on the windshield, the handset is easy on and off, very accessible, and does not take up any appreciable field of view or block controls or vents. Done!

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
I use a magnetic mount that's mounted via 3M VHB bond tape. I have variants of this in all of my vehicles. It's easy to put onto the mount - just hold the hold to it, and it sticks. It's easy to remove without needing multiple hands to expand/release a mount and pull out the phone. I just pull, and it comes off.

The mount is bendable, so you bend it to the necessary angle. Mine's positioned and bent such that the body of the phone rests against the lip of the dashboard for just a little bit of added stability when poking at the screen.

This one, $15 https://smile.amazon.com/23453-Vehicle-Mount-Magnetic-Holder/dp/B01D4QPD7G/

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had something very similar to that last year. The difficulty I had was keeping the mount bonded to the dash. Here in the desert southwest, high temperatures of 100+ can last for months and 120 degree days are not uncommon. I wish I didn't have to, but I needed a non-sticky bond for whatever my solution was going to be.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have something similar to Tree95 but it's mounted on the horizontal (and somewhat curved) surface just below where his is. I have found the same as you DerekBell - 3 different strengths of 3M double-sided adhesive failed to stand up for more than a week without pulling off. My answer was Sugru. https://sugru.com - apply the adhesive as usual and then build up a nice pile of Sugru around the edges for like 1/2" all the way around it. you can end up with a very smooth finish if you slide your finger over it after you have the final shape. it's held for over a year now with ZERO issues. it's amazing stuff.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Thanks, fcla, mine has come off once after a year, but it stays garaged most of the time and would likely fail sooner if outdoors more. I ordered some sugru from Amazon. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just use the vent clip on type. I haven't tried anything else but this is simple and works great for me. It holds in place firmly. It's at the top portion of the vent so I still feel plenty of air blowing. It looks close to the steering wheel but there is plenty of distance. The usb plug is just below for power. I have a memory stick in the usb port with my music all the time so if I need to charge the phone, I will usually plug into a rear seat power source and use a long power cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Here's a pic of mine with the Sugru. Really solid - solid enough to hit the buttons without moving it. Doesn't block the vent or anything else. Magnet base with a metal plate stuck to the back of the phone so it just sucks right on there if you get it close. It's never bounced off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ram Can Mount

This is what I use for a phone mount, all of it is from Ram Mounts - it works great! Since I can't post links just search Amazon for "Ram Can Mount"

I found the cup holder in the dash useless for me so I put the Ram Can mount there. I had to remove some of the "fins" from the "can" so it fit snuggly, without removing them it was hard to get it in. The fins are quite easy to remove.

I then use an Anker dual charger and 6' cable to run under the center console, above the gas/brake pedals (in the dash area away from the pedals) and up along the area between the door and dash up to the Ram Can mount. I've had it mounted here for almost a year and it works great. I use this with my iPhone 7+

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just use the vent clip on type. I haven't tried anything else but this is simple and works great for me. It holds in place firmly. It's at the top portion of the vent so I still feel plenty of air blowing. It looks close to the steering wheel but there is plenty of distance. The usb plug is just below for power. I have a memory stick in the usb port with my music all the time so if I need to charge the phone, I will usually plug into a rear seat power source and use a long power cable.
I use the same one. Have had it since I got the van. The only issue I had is that rubber on the clamps kept shifting. I just took the rubber off and reglued them. No other issues since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts