Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Pending Recall Notice for Brake Fluid Reservoir

7K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  focus805 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Thank you for this. With my dealer being a two hour drive one way, I wonder if just trying to wiggle the reservoir will tell you anything?
Fair guess if it's already damaged. I wonder what the dealer inspection is looking for?

#7 ·
It's a pretty cheesy stamped steel bracket, and the not-overly-robust plastic reservoir can shift & rattle around in it. I reckon they are worried the bracket might eventually vibrate a hole in the res, or fall off altogether. Fair enough.

I'd just place some foam or use duct tape to keep it from rattling until you can get to your dealer.

#10 ·
Brake reservoir looks ok. Secure. No signs of any looseness. No signs of any leaks.

Not sure the fluid level is not a bit low.

Went to M-B dealer and spoke to the SA. He confirmed there is no parts to "fix" this but as soon as I get the letter saying that parts are available to bring the van in.

Picked up a can of brake fluid to "top up" the fluid level mainly to see how low it is.

#11 ·
There is actually a metal bracket with four tabs that supports and interlocks with the reservoir in four places, two on the left left, two two on the right - kind of like how battery tools slide and lock into place. It is only secured with that one plastic pin on the right.

My bracket and reservoir combo feels rock solid in place. No play or wiggle.

#13 · (Edited)
There is actually a metal bracket with four tabs that supports and interlocks with the reservoir in four places, two on the left left, two two on the right - kind of like how battery tools slide and lock into place. It is only secured with that one plastic pin on the right.

My bracket and reservoir combo feels rock solid in place. No play or wiggle.
Well, @icerabbit and colleagues, I have what I think is really bad news. I checked my brake fluid reservoir today. It rattles freely in the bracket, which seems really bad. Worse still, as you can see in the pix below, the plastic receiver slots for the metal tabbed bracket show signs of fatigue in the form of the white-ish spots on the plastic on the passenger side of the reservoir. On both the passenger and driver side, the tabs don't even fully fit the reservoir. I did notice that the lines coming from the reservoir appear to be flexible -- which is good -- I was expecting steel tubing like most other vehicles. See below. Please LMK if rattle is normal! I've attached the MB (not NHTSA) News Channel Update pdf.

BTW, I don't see the problem as relating to the pushpin on the driver side -- I think it's the whole metal bracket not fitting the plastic reservoir slots with any degree of precision.

Check out the passenger side rear (left) tab. Note fatigue marks.

Bumper Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

Close up of passenger rear tab. That can't be right. It looks like the very first plastic model car I assembled at age 7.

Wood Rectangle Gas Font Fixture

Flex hoses?

Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Typewriter Bumper

Driver side rear (right in pic) tab. Note fatigue marks. Note misalignment.

Wood Bumper Gas Vehicle Automotive exterior

Driver's side front tab. Barely connected.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Rim Automotive exterior

The more I look at these, combined with the rattling, the more worried I get. Honestly, I want to go park it at the dealer and demand a GLC loaner.

Attachments

#12 ·
Well, I added some fluid but then could see the fluid and I could then see I over filled the reservoir. Got in the van and pumped the brake pedal and no fluid came out. Drove to the store and picked up a flavor injector (for use with meats -- I wanted a turkey baster but the store didn't have any) and used it like a suction device to remove fluid from the reservoir.

Here are some pics of the reservoir. Looks ok to me (well, a bit dirty...):

Hood Bumper Gas Wood Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Fender Bumper Hood

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Fender

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Audio equipment

After I added then removed some fluid I wiped the reservoir down and it looks much better.

#23 ·
So today I pulled out the reservoir far enough to slide it back in with the split plastic pins going in correctly above the metal. Fairly easy, the only hiccup was the single pushpin plastic rivet that holds the reservoir was extremely loose and just slipped out. I fashioned a new pushpin from extras I had from installing new upper side panels. I'll keep an eye on my repair, but feels solid and will pick up the correct push pin soon.

#24 ·
Update of sorts. Got a letter yesterday. It appears the parts necessary to address the brake fluid reservoir mounting are available.

I can now make arrangements to have the vehicle in and have the brake fluid reservoir mounting/installation checked and if found necessary corrected.

#25 ·
I got the letter too. But I want a new fluid reservoir given the stress marks on my reservoir. I'm hoping that isn't a fight. The part's cheap enough but it will necessitate a bleed.

#31 · (Edited)
Follow-up. I picked up the van today June 1, just short of a week since I dropped it off. The service writer was a replacement for my usual, and he informed me that they had done no further work, but he agreed to let me speak to the service manager when I arrived. Anyhow, I showed the service manager my fluid reservoir and gave him copies of the pix from the forum! He was very honest and said they had no idea to check for that. He even brought out the factory repair bulletin with the illustrated steps (there were no photos of the reservoir, just basic diagrams). The bulletin vaguely stated to check whether the reservoir might be "incorrectly mounted." It immediately goes on to emphasize the mounting pin in very specific detail. The service manager told me that they were under the impression that the pin was all they had to inspect. Anyway, I thought initially it was dishonesty or incompetence -- turns out it's neither -- it's the same poor factory training that most likely created the problem to begin with. He repaired it in less than 10 minutes.

I would definitely advise a self-inspection after this recall is performed. Mercedes is NOT PROVIDING ADEQUATE TRAINING ON THIS RECALL.

I did prevail on the service manager to provide and install a new reservoir (and flush the brake system). That's on order and scheduled.

Reactions: Tree95 and imacd
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.