Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Metris with 29,000 miles pulled a Check Engine light code p052e this weekend. I dropped it at the dealer today and they are saying that an incorrect PCV tube set was originally installed.

Has any one seen this yet. The dealer says it's not the first they have seen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My Metris with 29,000 miles pulled a Check Engine light code p052e this weekend. I dropped it at the dealer today and they are saying that an incorrect PCV tube set was originally installed.

Has any one seen this yet. The dealer says it's not the first they have seen.
My 2016 cargo had CEL around 8000miles during its first summer (so cal, inland, 100+ heat) - and the dealer replaced PCV tubes under warranty. (And a nice C class loaner.)

I’ve never had a CEL since, now I have 29k miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2016 metris with 36,800 mi has the same code. Check engine light came on before 36,000 then went out now has come back on again .Is it covered under extended warranty? Called service dept they couldn’t give answer until they checked it out.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My CEL came on at 26k but have to wait for it to come back from the body shop (getting a new liftgate) but was off and on and then solid again.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Crankcase vent replaced to resolve this issue pn 247-090-02-00. Seems like a pain to do, ecu and driver engine mount has to come out.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Crankcase vent replaced to resolve this issue pn 247-090-02-00. Seems like a pain to do, ecu and driver engine mount has to come out.
FYI, the MB spring clamps have a cool feature that locks them in the open position. PCV tube will stay on via it's own friction for a couple weeks. After that it helps to remember to set the spring clamp in the closed position. That is unless you hate boost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone done this repair themselves? I'm not too keen on paying dealer labor costs for this job, if it can be done without special tools or computer programs.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Waiting to hear myself. I've got the tools and a lot of experience...and the van is not my primary vehicle so if it takes me a week thats ok. I don't think it would have to be programed/coded. The fact I'm in the south, van stays in a heated garage and I don't do short trips, I don't think it's going heppen..but you never know. Landarch, where are you located?

·
Registered
6 Posts
In New Jersey. Most days involve 2 short 3 mile trips to and from work, but there's a ton of longer runs mixed in. It sees about 20k miles per year overall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got this error code P052E on my 2016 with 45k miles. It came on, then off, now back on. I'm the second owner and don't have the ELW. From what I can see on this forum and others is that there are three potential solutions. 1) Replace the PCV valve $$$. 2) Lower the oil level and try a lower viscosity oil $. 3) Have Mercedes reprogram the pressure sensor to the correct settings $. I'm just trying to get a sense of what route everyone is taking if they don't have a warranty.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Option 4) Ask MBZ USA to pay for option 1. This will require taking the car to the dealer and paying the $240 (or whatever) to diagnose the code. Then when they quote the repair cost, ask them contact MBZ USA customer care to ask for dispensation.
I had the same issue with my 2016 (about 20K miles and a few months out of warranty). I got the dealer and MBZ USA to both chip in, but the repair was still expensive. However, the more complaints MBZ USA gets, the more they may be willing to do the right thing here. If they (MBZ USA) do nothing (and you don't want the repair done by the dealer) you will be out the diagnosis charge.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm 2000 miles away from home with a trailer and had the light come on with the same code. After about 20 miles of driving and some restarts it went off. Anyone have any thoughts about whether I'm safe to drive back home (in the middle of cold winter) without having it repaired?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm 2000 miles away from home with a trailer and had the light come on with the same code. After about 20 miles of driving and some restarts it went off. Anyone have any thoughts about whether I'm safe to drive back home (in the middle of cold winter) without having it repaired?
You should be fine. I cleared mine continuously for about 6 months and 6 k miles before I had it fixed with zero Ill effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2016 Metris Cargo
17 Posts
Just got the dreaded P052E code on my 2016 Cargo with 26,000 miles. I am the 2nd owner so assume this is not covered under warranty. My regular (trusted) mechanic read the code for me but said he could not clear it and doesn't work on Mercedes vehicles (other than reading the check engine light for me). Based on the feedback above, I'm tempted to just clear the code and see if it comes back. Is there some magic to clearing the code (or reason that my regular mechanic wasn't able to reset the CEL)? Do I need to pay Mercedes dealership $200+ dollars just to clear the code?

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
You need a Mercedes-compatible scan tool. There are a variety available, some are even reasonably priced.

You will eventually need to repair the problem. It causes problems in the long run. But it isn’t urgent, so budget for it and get it done. I can’t stress enough though: as good and trusted as your regular mechanic might be on other brands, you need to find someone who is specialized in Mercedes vehicles for the things you can’t do yourself. They are a very different animal, andon a very basic level.

·
Registered
2016 Metris Cargo
17 Posts
Thank GM - that sounds like solid advice. I've had my Metris for about a year now and love driving it but have been nervous about the cost of taking it in to the (only) Mercedes dealership in my area (North Dakota). Looks like I'm in for another $2,500 on top of the normal, already expensive, A/B service. This forum is a great source of information - much appreciated!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts