Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who own a Passenger Van or an Explorer Conversion...

I've noticed that the majority of the Explorer Conversions have 180 degree hinged rear doors.

Questions:

Do you have a Liftgate Door or Hinged Rear Doors? And are you happy with your choice?

Is there any issue with the hinged doors rattling?

Thanks!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have the barn doors on my cargo van that go 270* I love it. It makes it easier to get what I need to get in and out (construction material and snow cleaning machines) of the cargo area much better then a lift gate would.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't own one but I've driven a number of Metrises and personally I prefer the lift gate for the large unobstructed window. I do not like the pillar blocking the view. Of course if you leave the center headrests in place you'll have the same problem.

The barn doors seem better for cargo, especially if one were using a forklift.

The lift gate does serve as a large built-in awning. I'm 6'3" and I can stand under it comfortably.

I have heard tell of owners attaching the equivalent of a shower curtain to the lift gate when in its raised position for use as a little outdoor changing room.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the barn doors on my cargo van that go 270* I love it. It makes it easier to get what I need to get in and out (construction material and snow cleaning machines) of the cargo area much better then a lift gate would.
Are you carrying your materials on the roof?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have heard tell of owners attaching the equivalent of a shower curtain to the lift gate when in its raised position for use as a little outdoor changing room.
Just as simple or easier with the barn doors at 180. I use a brand new drop cloth.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was spoiled by the Eurovan and got the liftgate. As others have mentioned, it makes a great umbrella for either sun or rain.
I have a Sprinter with the cargo doors. I love how they fold back and the magnets hold them firmly.-Again, as others said, they are better for cargo loading.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We chose the cargo doors for two reasons: 1) our kayaks are much longer than the one in the photo above, so we would not be able to open the liftgate without hitting them, and 2) We back the van into the garage; the garage is not long enough to open the liftgate, but we can open the cargo doors (we borrowed a demo van and tried before we bought).

·
Registered
188 Posts
We went for doors, over the lift gate due to in garage clearance, wouldn't have been able to open the gate. Happy with the choice thus far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts