Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Metris Cargo
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Scopema passenger seat swivel that I purchased from Travois. Lots of tips on this forum about disconnecting the starter battery before disconnecting the wiring harness so I did that and was relieved to not have any messages on the main driver console. The swivel itself seems very solid.

However now, when no one is in the passenger seat, I get a yellow warning on the center dashboard (just below the emergency blinker button) that says “PASS 2 AIR BAG OFF”. However if I sit in the passenger seat, then the warning goes away.

I’m wondering if this is related to adding the weight of the swivel to the passenger side and some sensor thinks a child is in the seat (~50 pounds) and disables the airbag? It’s a little annoying to have the warning light on all the time when I am driving by myself but I’ll get used to it. I just want to make sure its not a safety issue and somehow I messed up the wiring harness when I was disconnecting/reconnecting to install the swivel.

I didn't see any posts about this issue but was wondering if other folks experienced the same thing?

·
Registered
209 Posts
It sounds like your van is working normally. Are you sure your lamp was turning off before installing the swivel?

In my Metris, the PASS 2 AIR BAG OFF lamp remains illuminated as long as the passenger seat is unoccupied. It never goes out.

The owners manual even says that if it does not stay on while the seat is empty, the Occupant Classification System is malfunctioning.

I have another car from a different manufacturer that behaves the same way.

The additional weight of the swivel shouldn't affect the occupant sensor either way, because the sensor is in the seat cushion, not in the seat base.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
The light is on whenever the airbag system is deactivated; it goes out when the parameters of what is on the seat reaches that which is required to activate the airbag system. It is designed to be inactive when an appropriate child seat or small person is in it- one who would not benefit from airbag deployment in an accident. It is also designed to remain off when the seat is empty, so as to save you the cost of uselessly deploying expensive airbags and the pyrotechnical seatbelt pretensioner if you get into an accident.

It’s operating as designed unless the light does NOT go out when a full sized adult is sitting in the seat.

·
Registered
2016 Metris Cargo
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow - thanks for info. I was super sensitive to not raising a fault code when doing the swivel install that I convinced myself the "PASS 2 AIR BAG OFF" warning was new.

I've had my Metris for 4 months now and didn't think that light was on before the swivel install but after your feedback am now thinking I just didn't pay attention... and am relieved that I didn't break anything... Thanks again to this forum for all the great help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts