Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glanced at the manual but couldn't clearly understand what to do. What steps are you doing to make it work specially with perpendicular?

·
Registered
52 Posts
In my experience, the sensors detect which of the two parking spots you're planning on, either the parallel or the perpendicular, based on the size of the space you have just crawled past and your selection of reverse gear. It's that simple.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Under 20 mpg? you will see a square with a "P" in it pop up on the dash display. Driving slowly, you will pass by a empty parking spot (either on your left or right...I believe to get a left parking spot you have to have the left turn signal on.) by about a van length or more, a white arrow will pop up either on the left or right side of the "P" as appropriate. STOP. Put the van in reverse. You will get a message on the dash asking if you want to use "Park Assist". Click "OK" on the steering wheel. Let go of the steering wheel and feather the gas pedal to move. Van may stop if it needs to re-align forward. Dash will say to put van in "Drive". Feather gas pedal to move. Van may stop and ask you to put it in "Drive" or "Reverse" several times to get in a tight slot or get centered in a spot. Will chime when done and display will ask you to put it in "Park".

Parktronic only works with ONE EMPTY SLOT BETWEEN TWO CARS. If there are two empty parking spaces next to each other...or and end spot in a line of parking spaces...it will not park itself. If two or more perpendicular parking spots are between cars IT MAY CONFUSE THE PARKTRONIC INTO THINKING IT IS A PARALLEL PARKING SPACE...and it will try to stick itself sideways between two cars. If there are only a few cars and many empty spots (like just two cars in a parking row with one empty spot between them) Parktronic might not work either. It figures you have spots to park in. Works best when the parking row is full of cars. Use some common sense. Parallel parking works the same. If there is two empty parallel spots together...Parktronic figures you can do that on your own.

When you have parked parallel and shut down. Upon restart, the dash will give you a message asking if you want Parktronic to get you out of the spot. Again, tap the "OK" button on steering wheel if you want the assistance. This message will only appear if you still have a car in front and behind you. If there's a empty spot in front or behind...it figures you can pull that off. Also, make sure no traffic is coming before starting to leave the parallel spot using Parktronic. When you take the steering wheel, Parktronic will disengage and you are back to normal operations. There is no "Assist" to leave a perpendicular parking spot.

Also be aware that anything sticking up above 2' or 3' inside the parking space WILL NOT be picked up by the sensors and you may punch a hole or put a dent in your van. Things like backing into a space with a raised pickup truck on the other side with a tow hitch and ball on it. A wall it will sense. A ballard or light pole maybe not. Again, use discretion and common sense when picking a spot.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the detailed explanations!
Parktronic only works with ONE EMPTY SLOT BETWEEN TWO CARS.
That's why it didn't work. I tried on an empty parking lot because I was afraid it's gonna hit cars around. I thought it's gonna read the lines just like driving hit the stripes on roads.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It’ll give you the willies the first couple of times you do it...but it works fine. Just don’t touch the steering wheel and be ready on the brake just in case. I had to laugh when I was first practicing...I had a woman at the mall parking lot guiding me in to the parking spot as the van was parking its self...she thought she did a really good job. I didn’t have the heart to tell to tell her...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts