Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the right sunlight I am seeing these circular anomalies on the side panels where windows would otherwise go.

I can't feel any difference in texture when I touch these areas.
It's not condensation.
It doesn't wash off.
You can only see it when the lighting is like you see in the photos.

Anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Have you visited any "automatic" car washes? Oh yeah, I can't see the photo you posted. It say's attached thumbnails. But, nothing is there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
What I have learned is the units with Standard paint Versus the Optional paint such as the "Brilliant Silver" we opted for ($900 Option) the Standard paint is a lower quality application

·
Registered
752 Posts
Where did you learn that? I opted for the no-upcharge navy blue because paint and appearance are low priorities for my needs and I did not want a metallic finish. Actually, I wanted the steelies, black bumpers and flat paint for stealth and to minimize the diamond star effect (like many of us here I am a former Eurovan owner and going from volks to benz feels a little strange). And, I found much better options to spend my $$ on, namely goodies like the cold weather pkg (for the heated seats), dual zone climate control, aux. battery and EK1 body builder connection.

Having said that, it's hard to believe MB would apply fade-o-matic paint to any of their products, so I am really interested in your info. Perhaps the absence of clear coat is an issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the no-extra-cost "Pebble Gray" paint and it's flawless as far as I can see. MB's "Pebble Gray" actually looks tan, but that's a different matter.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have the no-extra-cost "Pebble Gray" paint and it's flawless as far as I can see. MB's "Pebble Gray" actually looks tan, but that's a different matter.
My sales person talked me out of the pebble gray, but I think it looks really good in person. It has a kinda desert rat camo flavor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the Pebble Grey color. As I mentioned, the phenomenon is nearly impossible to see except for in direct sunlight at certain angles. Yes, kbcool, I have washed it at automatic washes. Interesting theory... I'll investigate more. I'll check the attachments.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
They really should have called pebble grey what it is: Taxi beige. It’s the color used in Germany by taxi cabs.

I love my van tremendously. I have had very few problems with it. I have the navy blue paint and one of the problems I’ve had with this van is the paint. The application is mediocre and orange peels. I also have had so many chips on the front of the hood it’s astonishing: I have more chips on the front of My hood then I have in my 23-year-old E300.

Furthermore, one of my warranty repairs was to repaint the driver side door where paint had started flaking off early. I’m pretty sure the extended warranty doesn’t cover this but I’m starting to have the exact same kind of paint flake off on the passenger side door, and I’m going to try to get it warranty on the basis of this was clearly the same failure of application.

I have already resigned myself to the fact that I am going to have to get the car repainted at some point during its life, probably with the ceramic base paint. Although I’ve been looking into getting a ceramic clearcoat of some kind. I don’t know how much better the premium paint is in application. However I can tell you for certain that the base paint does not have a clear coat.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have already resigned myself to the fact that I am going to have to get the car repainted at some point during its life, probably with the ceramic base paint. Although I’ve been looking into getting a ceramic clearcoat of some kind. I don’t know how much better the premium paint is in application. However I can tell you for certain that the base paint does not have a clear coat.
I know my van is slightly different But I would assume the paint shop is the same. I have the Blue Canvasite, premium paint. After one year and ~20,000 miles (about 85% of those highway long-haul miles Including Central Mexico - SC - Central Mexico - SC) My paint is in great shape. I have few chips in my hood, but given the many long-distance trips I've taken I don't think it's too bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welding point paint cracking!!
Hello All, I have a 2017 Metris Cargo Worker with the standard white paint. I know there have been some observations about the terrible paint quality (Greenmanedlion and others) of the Metris. At the weld points on the roof, the paint is cracking. Ive been told by a master mechanic that these cracks could spread far and wide. I called MB, they told me to bring it to the dealer. Whats your opinion?? To me, cracking paint at exterior welding points is clearly a manufacturing defect after 20 months and 28K miles on the road in ideal weather (never loaded down or towed anything). Even if they "fix" it under warranty, Im sure it will show up again soon. So are we doomed to have garbage paint on our new Mercedes (elite auto maker) Benz with zero power to change it? I want to be reasonable, but I expect the highest level of craftsmanship from Mercedes, not something worse than a Geo Metro paint (one of my fav cars ever) Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
I haven't found any issues with the paint on my silver metallic passenger model.....I suspect the "included" paint finish levels are probably not done as well as the alternative colors/extra $$ paint options....

·
Registered
196 Posts
I would suspect the dealer will repaint your van under warranty.
I would suspect the dealer will do nothing for free, and under warranty. I have two dealers to chose from, and if I will not have to, I will not visit with them. Owning cars just about under 50 years of my life different makers I have not seen such a bad paint (or a dealer) on any of my cars, not even Mercedes Benz 1984 300 E or 250 SL from 1967 I would say, that Maaco paint would be better, than paint done in Spain on Metris cargo, It's all about price, not about the maker. In 2017 base price $25,995.00 for cargo model, only Engine and transmission made in Germany with a big chrom star, all else made outside of Germany, why? PRICE ! There are numerous restriction in US for paint, so this one is good for the environment but not for painting cars. I am sure if I want to keep my Metris longer than 3 years that I will have to have it repainted or painted as my house with a brush my self as some VW buses have been done.Remember you are second class citizen at MB dealers, the mechanik don't want to see your metris...there is no money in it...

·
Registered
201 Posts
In the right sunlight I am seeing these circular anomalies on the side panels where windows would otherwise go.

I can't feel any difference in texture when I touch these areas.
It's not condensation.
It doesn't wash off.
You can only see it when the lighting is like you see in the photos.

Anyone else have this issue?
Yes. My Pebble Grey van has the same circular anomalies on the hood.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some Sprinter owners refer to the standard white paint as "arctic whitewash". It sounds like the Metris standard colors are fairly comparable, and if I'm buying a Metris with the intention of holding on to it for more than 5 years I'll want the premium paint, which really looks quite good from what I've seen so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe you might be correct Baron, and even though this may be their reality, I do not register it as acceptable and therefore will calmly demand that they fix this manufacture defect. Amazingly, when you buy a Metris, you are given a booklet that says "welcome to the elite MB family", but then when you go to the dealer you are told..."the vans aren't really Mercedes Benz". LOL...they should have explained that before they sold them to a guy like me....sorry, I have no pity or mercy for this kind of behavior from MB. Can everyone else continue to post about this please??? If you find it unacceptable and you are not apathetic, please complain :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
They really should have called pebble grey what it is: Taxi beige. It’s the color used in Germany by taxi cabs.

Furthermore, one of my warranty repairs was to repaint the driver side door where paint had started flaking off early. I’m pretty sure the extended warranty doesn’t cover this but I’m starting to have the exact same kind of paint flake off on the passenger side door, and I’m going to try to get it warranty on the basis of this was clearly the same failure of application.

Did MB give you a hard time when you asked them to cover this manufacture defect? I was told by customer service that my issue (weld point cracking paint) would be covered, but when I called the dealer they sarcastically told me it "likely would not be covered and that they have never cover a paint issue on MB vans"...the sarcasm only added insult to injury and further showed the level of maturity and professionalism. Fail!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts