Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at the manual, but I didn't find anything to answer my question.
If I downshift using the paddle shifters, will the transmission default to automatic after a period of time?

I only ask because my Audi TTS will reset after 60 seconds if the paddles aren't used.
Thanks Bob

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
If you downshift in automatic, it will upshift at redline. I believe you have to manually shut that off. Manual, obviously, is fully manual.

·
Registered
278 Posts
> I looked at the manual, but I didn't find anything to answer my question.
If I downshift using the paddle shifters, will the transmission default to automatic after a period of time?

No, it's not like my Audi A3 which will return to full auto a bit later

On my 2016 cargo Metris, downshifting with the paddle sets a 'max gear'. It doesn’t set manual shift mode (that's done on my van by pressing a button on the center dash. The trasmission remains fully automatic, but it's top gear is now restricted. (I haven’t intentionally run to redline to see if it upshifts anyway or if the rev limiter reduces fuel flow on my metris.)

If, for example, I'm cruising down the freeway in top gear and pull the left paddle, the transmission will shift to 6 and show D6 on the small display between speedo and tach instead of the usual D (not all Metris have the same display there). From that point on until I shift with the shift lever or use paddles, the transmission remains fully auto, but it just won’t shift to 7. If I come to a stop, it will downshift as I slow. It will start off in first and upshift as it always does until reaching 6th. It won’t upshift to 7 (although I have not tested redline behavior).

If, on the freeway in 7th, I double pull, it downshifts to 5th and will remain limited to the first 5 gears until I use the right paddle, use the shift lever, or use the center console button to rotate through the shift modes (M, E and back to C).

I can only post how my van works. Mr green may have different results

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Except for confirming that it upshifts at redline, your description is entirely accurate.

Manual mode is a full manual mode, it will only upshift when you tell it to, and will only downshift to prevent stalling- but not lugging, so be careful of that.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I always drive in automatic. On rare occasions I will use the paddles to downshift. To return to the use of all seven speeds, I just flip the upshift paddle repeatedly until D is indicated.
EG going down hill, I flip the downshift paddle twice to select D5 to engage some engine braking. When I no longer need the engine braking I simply flip the upshift paddle twice to return to D. Eazy peazy.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You can also return to Drive mode by pressing and holding the upshift paddle, no matter where you are on it.
Tried that today. I was thinking the time needed to hold the upshift paddle would be distracting, but it's not. It returns to D with just a short pull and hold, maybe a second or so.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Cool! I was always just flipping the upshift until it got to Drive. I probably won't wait until warranty runs out to chip mine, since I'll be adding over 300lbs of equip, I want that power back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts