Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my passenger van yesterday and would like to install a homelink garage door opener:

http://www.autodax.com/product_p/60-hmlkv5gray.htm

I have two questions that I hope someone can answer:

(1) I would like to know how to remove the overhead console.

(2) Is there a un-modulated 12v source that is active in the accessory position accessible inside the console?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
It sounds like you have a solution in search of a problem. Why do you want a hard wired home link? Why not just clip a remote to the visor? Or do what my dad does in his Honda-Velcro it inside the glasses holder?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have homelink in our other car and had it in previously owned cars. It can program 3 doors in a very neat, compact unit. I program it to my garage door and to those of our son's doors and it looks better than three remotes on the visor.

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
Because he doesn't want to.
He's not asking for your opinion, he's asking for some specific information.
I think the OP can tell me if he doesn't want my opinion himself. Hardwiring a homelink is quite a bit of trouble, if the main thing you are looking for is to avoid changing a battery. People tend to think linearly sometimes (myself included) and sometimes another option results in a "d'oh I didn't think of that!" Obviously needing to be able to control three totally different systems is a different kettle of fish.

Not sure what I've done to offend you, but forums, blogs, and other such sites are a bad place to be if you don't want unsolicited opinions. And while mine are sometimes extreme and I'm forceful in expressing them, are nowhere near as dumb as others. Go read comments on a news site sometime; you will lose faith in humanity.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Did this project get done? Any info or pictures to share? I have had good success with replacing the rear view mirror with one that has homelink built in.

·
Registered
401 Posts
That looks nice that set up I did it the quick way I have to remote on my visor. My one remote does 3 different doors. I learned my lesson with having a homelink program to my door. Had my window broken and the thief was able to open the garage door too. When I'm done with the day now I take my clicker with me and keep it when the metris keys so the next day I take everything. Let us know how that works out. You should also be able to use 3 doors on one remote unless you have only one button

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
The real solution to that problem is to make sure you have keyed entry locks on all doors, especially the garage to house door. Deadbolts with a shimblocker and a not shitty door.

Garage entries are a known entry weakness to thieves. Non keyed locks are easily hackable. Granted a slightly more skilled thief can pick a decent lock in minutes (or seconds). But there is no real reason to protect you from the highly professional thief- unless you are hiding something, crooks that skilled will go for a much higher asset target.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's the solution:

I use GarageMate.
It's an app on my phone. No overhead buttons, no remotes, no nothing... all on my phone. For android/iphones, blue tooth techno, no wifi vulnerabilities, etc... about $50. EZ installation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have homelink in our other car and had it in previously owned cars. It can program 3 doors in a very neat, compact unit. I program it to my garage door and to those of our son's doors and it looks better than three remotes on the visor.
Please be nice! Everyone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have been contemplating hard wiring the remote, and coincidentally, my neighbor told me the same thing that someone broke into a car, stole a few things but owner did not remember the remote. The thief broke into the garage a week later and cleaned him out. For this reason, my garage remote and EZPass transponder are blacked out with hockey tape and affixed with dollar store viscoelastic gel pad into the long cubby on top of the dash in front of the steering wheel along. These tuck into the dash cubby very easil, stay quiet and in place because of the tacky gel pad. They are also easy to reach and remove. In the future, I would like a more elegant solution and am thinking of making a little hinged panel for the center cubby for both of these items.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Nice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts