Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to the Forum and just purchased a 2016 Metris passenger van (used) with about 32,000 miles to use as our family minivan. My wife was driving a 2011 4Runner but we finally agreed that the 3rd row seat was not big enough and we would need a vehicle with a real 3rd row now that our kids are not little any more.

I found the Metris after looking at the alternate minivans on the market from the Grand Caravan to the Nissan Quest. We had owned an Odyssey before and were unimpressed by the minivan in general because of its dichotomies. The Odyssey had 240hp yet slow as a snail, was 201” long but had insufficient leg room for my 6’6” frame, claimed Honda reliability and durability but shed interior trim at an alarming rate and was in the shop 6 times in 2 years for serious brake and electrical issues (it went through 3 batteries in 18,000 miles).

After looking at options for 3 weeks I typed in a google search for “all 3 row vehicles sold in America” to make sure I wasn’t missing anything and the Metris just popped up. My reaction was “I didn’t know Mercedes made a minivan”, followed by “what, its rear wheel drive and uses a turbo direct injection motor from the C class?”, then, “I bet it’s a hoot to drive!”

So now we have the Metris airport shuttle and I am working on turning it into a real family minivan with a DVD player and as many aftermarket cup holders as I can stick in the poor thing. I am hoping that the old adage “The most expensive car in the world is a cheap Mercedes” will not apply once I get Otto das Auto all decked out in kit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new to the Forum and just purchased a 2016 Metris passenger van (used) with about 32,000 miles to use as our family minivan. My wife was driving a 2011 4Runner but we finally agreed that the 3rd row seat was not big enough and we would need a vehicle with a real 3rd row now that our kids are not little any more.

I found the Metris after looking at the alternate minivans on the market from the Grand Caravan to the Nissan Quest. We had owned an Odyssey before and were unimpressed by the minivan in general because of its dichotomies. The Odyssey had 240hp yet slow as a snail, was 201” long but had insufficient leg room for my 6’6” frame, claimed Honda reliability and durability but shed interior trim at an alarming rate and was in the shop 6 times in 2 years for serious brake and electrical issues (it went through 3 batteries in 18,000 miles).

After looking at options for 3 weeks I typed in a google search for “all 3 row vehicles sold in America” to make sure I wasn’t missing anything and the Metris just popped up. My reaction was “I didn’t know Mercedes made a minivan”, followed by “what, its rear wheel drive and uses a turbo direct injection motor from the C class?”, then, “I bet it’s a hoot to drive!”

So now we have the Metris airport shuttle and I am working on turning it into a real family minivan with a DVD player and as many aftermarket cup holders as I can stick in the poor thing. I am hoping that the old adage “The most expensive car in the world is a cheap Mercedes” will not apply once I get Otto das Auto all decked out in kit.
For those who are in the market, would you care to share how much you paid for it (for the options you have) and where you got it?

·
Registered
939 Posts
as many aftermarket cup holders as I can stick in the poor thing.
How many glasses of water do you need to hold in that thing???? (No one drinks anything but water in my van.) There's 6 up front.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
"The most expensive car is a cheap Mercedes" refers to the cost of putting right a neglected car. They are fairly expensive to run overall, but if you maintain it properly you won't be subject to the target of that adage.

I tend to budget $100 every 1000 miles, including things like tire replacements for maintenance. Once you are out of warranty, I would budget about 3/4 that for repairs. It will be less when it is young, more when it gets over 200k miles or so. End of life is relatively indefinite- it comes when you get tired of paying for repairs, you want another car, or you ignore rust for too long.

Fuel runs you about 13 cents a mile, add in depreciation and you are right about at IRS standard mile deduction (55 cents a mile last time I checked).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI, The Metris is a 2016 with 32,461 miles and I paid $22,500 at a non-Mercedes car dealer (Toyota dealership).

It’s a passenger wagon in brilliant silver metallic with the follow feature that I have been able to ID:
• Premium Rear lift gate
• Premium exterior package
• Enhanced AC Package
• Automatic power side doors
• 8 passenger seating
• Leatherette interior
• Audio 15 stereo system
• Chrome interior accent package
• Rear carpet
• Anti-theft alarm
• Key fob door activation
• Fog lamps
• Cruise control

I think that’s about it. When I priced it out on the MB site it came to $42,609.00 so that’s quite a depreciation hit in 16 months (in service date of April 2016).

·
Registered
66 Posts
FYI, The Metris is a 2016 with 32,461 miles and I paid $22,500 at a non-Mercedes car dealer (Toyota dealership).

It’s a passenger wagon in brilliant silver metallic with the follow feature that I have been able to ID:
• Premium Rear lift gate
• Enhanced AC Package
• 8 passenger seating
• Leatherette interior
• Audio 15 stereo system
• Rear carpet
• Anti-theft alarm
• Fog lamps
• Cruise control

I think that’s about it. When I priced it out on the MB site it came to $42,609.00 so that’s quite a depreciation hit in 16 months (in service date of April 2016).
How easy is it to transfer the manufacturer warranty?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts

• Premium Rear lift gate
• Enhanced AC Package
• 8 passenger seating
• Leatherette interior
• Audio 15 stereo system
• Rear carpet
• Anti-theft alarm
• Fog lamps
• Cruise control

Buy the 7/120 warranty.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
There aren't any second row cupholders to miss. There are two good ones in the third row, two that are too big for anything but a Boost! Mega Cup- I swear the biggest super triple mega big Gulp is too small- two tiny little soda can things molded into the upper dash that are too small for anything but a 12oz can- but too big for a Red Thunder. And two water bottle holders- one in each front door.

Also Hold Up (WTF?)*. You are missing the most important option- the Premium Safety Package.

* A great song by Burrows Band Montreal https://burrowsburrows.bandcamp.com/track/hold-up-wtf

·
Registered
93 Posts
:surprise: 36K right? I am creeping up on 36k and was about to go into the dealership to see if I could get the extended warranty.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thanks guys! I have been mistaken for most of my ownership!

The real take away is buy the ELW BEFORE 3/36.

Now, I'm off to perform Seppuku.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts