Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Metris Forum,

I'm new to the site and find it very informative on the Metris. I would be interested in your opinions about the base model Cargo Worker(w/o Convinence Pkg). If you have driven or own this model... what are your thoughts on the following:

1. Okay with or regret not having a back/up camera?
2. Okay with or regret not having cruise control?
3. Okay with or regret not having remote mirrors?

I'm currently in the market for a Metris and would like to keep the purchase price as low as possible. Debating with myself if it's worth the $2000 upgrade.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
ProjectVito17

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't have Metris for now. As I said in another thread. I will wait for another MY to see if we can get the partial camper version (MP Activity/Horizon) or more features here.

I would pay the extra to get the options that I am struggling with unless they are decorative or eye-catching stuff. Going aftermarket later can be more costly (in money and time).

I would consider the other cost besides the initial purchase amount. Metris is still a MB car, so you need to pay the premium to own and run it, such as service and parts etc. The dealer network is less than other brands (not all MB dealers sell commercial vans). If you don't need the size and payload capability of Metris, Ford and Ram have their small vans for commercial use. If height is not an issue, MB's Sprinter, or other full-size vans might be the better bang for the buck.

All in all, Metris is not the best (economic) choice, however, if you need the size (especially the low height), payload & towing capacity, power and fuel economy it provides in its segment, it's the best but with a price.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
You want the cruise control- it's an awesome system that will leave your feet well rested... even around town. I'd pay $2k just for the cruise control.

You kinda need heated mirrors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have the 2016 cargo van and use backup camera all the time. Rear windows are a plus too. Use cruise control occasionally when on open highway, but do bulk of driving in the city. Multifunction steering wheel is handy to have once you become familiar with the buttons. Mine came with a hitch which works well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The base model without supplemental heat will never defrost windscreen until you drive at highway speeds. I know it sounds absurd, but at 23 F I ran my 2016 for 25 minutes without a degree of change in the defroster. MBUSA promised me that was the design and not a problem. I find the vehicle undrivable without it if you have snow and ice.

I can't imaging what I was tinking with the manual adjustment mirrors. If two drivers are using the van it is a must to have remote mirrors.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for all your thoughts.

It may be crazy(I'm not a tradesmen)... but I plan for this van to be my daily+weekend fun/work vehicle. Saving money is important to me, but the added features included in the Conv. Pkg. sound like a good investment. Back/up camera probably most important.

Again, thanks for the comments. I hope to purchase soon - and then participate more on the forum after having some experience driving/maintaining/owning a MBVan.

ProjectVito17

·
Registered
184 Posts
Meh drove all types of vehicles without back up cameras and manual mirrors (my two current pickups still have them) so those I could
Do without, but no cruise control would be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Having recently upgraded from a base level W639 Vito without power mirrors and rear camera, I find them both 'must haves' now...they are invaluable when parking. Cruise control ? I can take it or leave it.
You're considering an MB Metris because of it's excellent road manners, safety systems and solid build. Yes, it'll cost you more in servicing and ownership, but if taken care of, it'll outlast the rest and it stands a better chance of keeping you out of harms way should something terrible happen.
Get the convenience Pack

·
Registered
76 Posts
Options that I love

I also find Cruise Control to be great. Too bad distronic isn't available because near the cities folks cant seem to stay at a consistent pace.

I have not been in any cold climate yet, buy I bought the C08 option, mirrors etc for my worker Cargo. I do love the heated seats even in the summer ;)

C08 C08 Cold Weather Package: Heated windshield washer system. Heated
H16 : Heated Driver Seat
H15 : Heated Co-Driver Seat
HZ0 : Heat Insulation
F48 : Heater windshield washer reservoir

F68 : Exterior Mirror - Power/Heated

Rear camera is really nice

FR8 : Rear View Camera

I am also finding that I love the Parktronic, although that was kinda a luxury for sure ;)

EZ7 Parktronic w/active parking assist

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tripletreat77 and 2017MetrisCamper,

Very useful thoughts. Good to hear from owners with daily experience. Gives me some important things to consider before making a choice.

I'm in SoCal, so Cold Weather Pkg. probably not on the list. But other items could make driving much more safe and enjoyable.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am in SoCal too and had a hard time finding a van without the cold weather package. The Convenience Pkg is nice and in my mind, the back-up camera is a must. Mine has the windows in the back doors too, and even with that, I don't want to drive a workers van without a back-up camera.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
You want the cold weather package, even in SoCal. It includes an electric heating system that is beneficial to the cars engine cooling system. In addition, heated seats are also good for relaxing back muscles.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I live in the Northeast.
We have so much traffic that I have never used cruise control despite having owned vehicles equipped with it for 20 years.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I also live in the northeast. I know most systems are so much trouble they aren't worth it. Try using the one on your Metris. It is especially good around town in slower zones. It is downright hard to keep At 25 in a school zone; cc is set and forget. When you leave the school zone, whack the controller up a few times and you can go back to a much higher speed... all with your feet flat on the ground.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I like using the speed limit option better than the cruise control for city driving or heavy traffic highway. It gives me control while keeping me under the speedlimit (If I want to be haha)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also recommend cruise control, as far as backup camera if you plan to add CD or other upgraded radio other than factory ( which I find sounds great for a factory system in a cargo van skip the backup. I have a small spotter added to the passenger side mirror and standard mirrors they are fine in the midwest, snow, sun whatever. and I do not have rear windows, they are a nice option in my opinion

1 - 18 of 18 Posts