Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Is it possible to open the rear cargo doors from inside the vehicle? Lift gate versus barn doors

I imagine it is pretty easy to close the barn doors from inside eg climbing in to sleep, but I imagine it would be pretty hard to close the lift gate while climbing in. Is that true?

Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
There's nothing on the inside of the hatch to do this. Cars with a trunk have to have a release but since its a hatch on a van its likely not required. My 2001 E320 wagon has an interior release/lock handle on the hatch but it also has a seat back there.

As the release is an electronic push button, I bet it would not be too difficult to duplicate that on the inside.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
The barn doors have an easily accessible latch on the inside of the door. The lift gate has an electronic latch release on the outside Of the door. On the inside of the door on the bottom center of the tailgate is a small removable plastic trim piece

that you can remove. You can stick your finger through here into a round access hole in the metal,

and toggle a tiny little plastic latch that I can not successfully photograph with your finger which will toggle the latch open. It is a pain to use- literally, it hurts as you rub against semi-sharp metal and plastic flashing- but you can do it. Closing it behind you is easy; however personally I would go with the barn doors for that application unless you really want to use the lift gate as a sort of awning.

It is so low on the door that I think you would have trouble accessing it if you had a reasonably thick mattress laying on the floor, let alone a raised bed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks white and green. I initially was leaning towards a lift gate due to that rain/shade thing, but my bro pointed out the issue opening lift gates when you are in tight parking and most of the inventory of cargo vans seem to be barn doors, so I was on the fence. But sounds like the barn doors are a much better open for getting in and out of the rear so I will go for those

1 - 6 of 6 Posts