Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
At my last oil change at dealer (1,000 miles ago), the oil was overfilled by 1 quart, I believe. What do those of you with technical knowledge of these issues think? Should I be concerned? Would I have noticed if the excess oil was causing damage to the engine? Should I try to remove the excess quart? Should I have strong words for the dealer? :smile:

Thanks for your input. And fyi, the excess oil is visible on dipstick and invoice billed for 9 units of oil rather than the 8 my regular dealer uses.

Gabriel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Thanks for the response. On the dipstick, the oil comes up and covers the letter "x" in the word "max." I had thought this was okay until I realized that the max line is actually the second dot, not the end of the word max. (In other words, maybe the oil is 1/4" above the max dot.) Then I compared the invoice to the one from my regular dealer and noted the difference in units of oil billed.

Thanks,
Gabriel

·
Registered
939 Posts
My answer us to not worry about it. Once you start getting it on the wire strands is when you know it's WAY overfilled.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I would take it back ASAP to document the issue. I doubt you'll have any damage, but it may be worth some comp service from the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks RobbMeeX! That is a relief. I hoped there was some room for error, but then I was looking at the warnings in the manual and started fretting. It would be interesting to know if the dealer I went to really does (as their invoice suggests) think that the Metris takes more oil than my dealer in Atlanta does.

Have a great weekend!

Gabriel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Focus805,
Your point is well taken. Unfortunately, I never intend to let that dealer near my vehicle again. Folks were nice enough and my intention is not to disparage anyone, but the service was very disorganized--the wiper blades on the invoice were not actually replaced, the service interval was not reset, the oil was overfilled, etc. (And when they went to correct the missing wiper blades and reset service reminder it was further comedy as first guy couldn't figure out how to replace blades and then the other guy couldn't figure out how to do the reset, though eventually he did.) It was like they have no system in place to assure that items have actually been done before returning the vehicle. I believe that in a busy shop, you have to have a system. Otherwise the outcome is random.

So, I wouldn't want any more "service" from them. But I do wonder if there is some way to document it with Mercedes at a higher level. Not for the sake of complaining about the dealer experience, but to document the issue on my particular vehicle.

Thanks for your response and have a great weekend!

Gabriel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi RobbMeex,
I tried responding to your PM, but I got this message (so I don't think my reply went through):

To be able to send PMs your post count must be 15 or greater.

You currently have 4 posts and you can send PMs to following users only:
MetrisAdmin, SubscriptionSupport

Gabriel

·
Registered
939 Posts
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't us who overfilled it! (Def wasn't me :) )

·
Registered
591 Posts
I hear you -- if the first trip to the stealership is a disaster, trip 2 may be no better. My dealer is over 30 miles away. Personally, I far prefer the time and expense for the few special tools a 40 year + backyard mechanic needs to deal with fluids, filters, brakes, etc. I really like the peace of mind knowing that I personally inspected the belts, hoses, wiring, checked for leaks and brake wear, and actually replaced used washers and torqued the fasteners.

The 30K transmission fluid & filter change looks strikingly similar to my '99 Eurovan (RIP), right down to that flat, friction press fit trans filter and pumping the fluids in.

Regards!

·
Registered
285 Posts
The 30K transmission fluid & filter change looks strikingly similar to my '99 Eurovan (RIP), right down to that flat, friction press fit trans filter and pumping the fluids in.

Regards!
According to the video it's a 11 minute job.:D Unless of course they didn't actually do it. Like the guy is claiming.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts