Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Pawo007, why so soon...7000 miles? You are using one of the best and most expensive oils on the market. I change mine at 15,000 and the oil still looks good.
My van does a LOT of short trips of only a few miles, and many short trips during the brutal winter. My oil has about ~7k on it right now and looks pretty dirty.

The oil costs about $37 for 5 liters.....so overall cost is roughly $70 a year with the number of miles we usually drive it....tiny on the spectrum of overall costs.

My brother goes about 8-10k in his E350 sedan on the same oil but he does a ton more freeway miles. By 10k the oil looks about the same.

I may send in a sample to blackstone during my next change soon to see how good the oil still is...if its still really good then I'll add a couple thousand miles onto the interval.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Pawo007, I gotcha. short trips are a rough on oil quality. To everyone else, it's not about the money. To me it's more about the environment and just general waste. Don't have time to do a full write up...but My last 4 cyc., Volvo, had 575,000 miles with 10,000 miles intervals...now that's with a 4 quart oil system. You double the oil you double the mileage.

My beemer I drive now I've changed oil at 15,000 miles intervals and I'm at 365,000 all is well.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Timed intervals of 6 months works great for both short trip and long highway driving. If you drive less than 8000 a year you can get away with once a year.

With an 8 quart capacity, this is somewhat academic....as 10,000 is a breeze.

fwiw, MB 229.5 is the best mfg spec in full SAPS oils. I would consider a mid-SAPS oil now that we have ultra low sulphur gas in the USA since 2017. MB 229.51 is the spec for that, and the venerable VW 504, the top spec of ALL mfg oils. I don't have a proper
graph to share on this labtop, but you can conjure up your own.... https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

·
Registered
470 Posts
For those that DIY Oil Change, what app do you use or do you paper log your oil change logs for Dealer or future sale/owner?
Be nice if there was an Android app that I can put everything in that also shows all the Dealer maint/ repairs. Looks like myCARFAX mobile app might do the job.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As they are infrequent, I keep the paper receipts for oil and filter with the manual in the glove box. Can't imagine an app would hold much weight with the dealership since there isn't any real verification of the data entered.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I print out the service sheet that rob posted and keep them with the oil and filter receipts stapled to them in a file

·
Registered
361 Posts
I ended up running my oil 7,400 miles and sent in a sample. They said it looked excellent and that I could go to 10k if I wanted, but they did not recommend exceeding 10k miles per change. (Blackstone Laboratories) Probably going to stick to around 8k....which ends up being a little more than once a year.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is it ok to go longer than a year between oil changes if not driving much? I had the first one done at about 10,000 miles since it had been in service for a year. Another year out with a pandemic added in and it’s only gone another 6,000 miles in the last year. At this current rate, I could go two years and not get to 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
If you were still under warranty I would still change it every year. If not, make sure nothing else is going wrong with it and you can probably extend the interval a little bit, but I wouldn’t go over 18 months.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Do you think 5w40 is a good choice for California ?
I am driving cross Country but most of the time the car is in California.
Look at the viscosity table on page 310 of your owners manual for temperature ranges. Inland Cali is hot and I'd consider a higher top number (40) if the van's a workhorse. Coastal Cali is temperate and 0w-30 is perfect. Judging by the table, it's safe to go down on the bottom number or up on the upper number but not the other way around. So 5w would be a mistake.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Look at the viscosity table on page 310 of your owners manual for temperature ranges. Inland Cali is hot and I'd consider a higher top number (40) if the van's a workhorse. Coastal Cali is temperate and 0w-30 is perfect. Judging by the table, it's safe to go down on the bottom number or up on the upper number but not the other way around. So 5w would be a mistake.
Thank tou for your help

21 - 40 of 41 Posts