Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the market for a new cargo van. After two months of online research and You tube searches I settled on either the Ram ProMaster 2500 cargo van or the
Mercedes Benz Metris Cargo version to see & test drive.

After checking them both out at the respective dealerships and test driving my wife and I took two days to talk things over at home before decide which van to get.

Although the Ram ProMaster Cargo van was the clear winner in the cargo carrying category.

The Metris won out for us mainly because of two points; the smooth car like handling that my wife liked and a lot of anticipated city driving we will be doing. Plus we always wanted but never could afford a Mercedes-Benz before but with the aggressive pricing from Mercedes it was now in our price range.

The next day we went back to the dealership with a Metris Cargo Van Build order that had all the features and options we wanted. When our sales person Greg entered our order in their computer we learned that our build could not be ready until 6 months wait or May 2016. Heck I could wait a few months longer after that and get the 2017 model.
We did not want to wait half a year so with some reservation made a decision to settle for less and get the cargo van they had on the lot.

Driving my new Metris on the way home from the dealership I almost had an accident on the freeway when I changed lanes on my right which forced another truck out of his lane on to the shoulder. His blaring horn got my attention and I quickly turned back into my lane. Luckily we avoided contact by just inches to spare. That got me all shook-up.

I realized then that there is a bad blind area and the side mirrors on the Metris are too small with no built in blind spot mirror. Not good.

For safety I took the next exit off the freeway and headed to Wall Mart to get a temporary pair of cheap blind spot stick on mirrors so I could safely drive until I could find and buy better blind spot mirrors.

The next morning I took my new Metris out for a ride on the freeway. After 25 minutes driving between 55 and 60 during deceleration I heard some very load banking sounds coming from under the van. Sounded like a metal pipe scraping along a chain link fence.

That sound got me worried. New van, had it one day and already something wrong?
I called my Metris sales person Greg and he had me bring it in the next day to be checked out. Greg was very helpful and assured me they would take care of it and even gave me another new Metris cargo van as a loner.

My van was checked out and serviced by their Sprinter / Metris mechanics staying in the Mercedes Benz shop for six days until after Thanksgiving. The mechanic found it was the heat shield that was loose and banging around causing the load noise after it heats up in temperature. Why the heat shield was loose in first place and not caught before selling it I'll never know. What I do know is everything in my Metris Cargo van is now working fine after I got it back from Mercedes Benz.

Do I still like the Metris after this shacky start? Yes I do, but I recommend you bring along a good pair of blind spot mirrors before you bring your Metris home from the dealership!
:surprise:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Or get the active safety package which has a blind spot detector.

Yeah, it does have a nasty blind spot, I do recommend the convex mirrors.

Ladson Assembly is not perfect. I do rev omens the extended warranty. That being said, customer service is generally excellent, and I think that a few years of Benz ownership will greatly increase your car ownership costs- mostly because you'll never buy another brand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I actually did order the safety package with the build I wanted but was told I had to wait 6 months before delivery. Could not wait so I picked the only Metris Cargo Van they had on the lot. For the blind spot I've added some big clear convex mirrors that took care of the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree that the mirrors are brutal on this van. I posted earlier about this. I was also shocked that the dealers in my area did not have a single model with the drivers assist package. I ended up ordering a fully loaded cargo. They originally told me a late may early June delivery. However, after the order was placed, I was happy to find out that a late February delivery was likely. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't think I've seen and aftermarket parts for the Metris yet. Anyone know if another truck's mirrors will be compatible?
Maybe you can try asking your garage guy?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts