Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all: Did the deed I began in this post -- installation of an AliExpress "OEM-Look" dash cam. I fully intended to take pictures of the install but it was super easy. Use a credit card to drop the overhead console.
Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive design

Then pry off the black cover around the rear view mirror.

Vehicle Automotive mirror Sky Motor vehicle Automotive design

And replace it with this cover and camera (hence the "OEM-Look).
Output device Rectangle Gadget Audio equipment Camera accessory

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Trunk Car
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Trunk Bumper

I really didn't have to fish cable down to the passenger footwell EK1. The cables fit easily under the front edge of the headliner, and down the A-pillar with the single torx screw under the airbag label removed. Then remove the side panel on dash nearest front passenger door and the wire falls to the EK1. I wound up using the Terminal 30 25A always on fuse location, after adding the external orange fuse holder. Kind of a waste of amperage, but I decided to use the always on feature.

I did see some kind of power jack under the cover, I guess for intermittent wipers or the headlights. It would be easier to tap power there and not waste one of the 3 EK1 fuses locations, but I bought the "traditional" power cable first and I wasn't sure if the Ali jack would fit my vehicle.

It works very well with Miocam app on my Android 12 Pixel. See the stills below. Video is great too. The time and date are established by your phone once you connect via WiFi to the camera. My phone and the app remember the WiFi connection, so it is really seamless in operation. I have a 32GB memory card so I am guessing I'll get most of a day's worth of stored video, but I am really not sure

Another Ali winner AFAIAC.

Plant Sky Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Car Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great!

Could always add a fuse block off the ek1.

Is it in the wiper path?
That's a great idea -- I hadn't thought of a fuse block off the EK1, but that will definitely save problems for future add-ons.

I haven't checked the wiper path, but I am sure it is in the path.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts