Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hava a 2017 cargo version without rear windows. I've noticed a dangerous situation that occurs when pulling out of a parking lot, gas station or even my driveway. When turning left and not perpendicular to traffic but at more of an oblique angle like when merging, it is impossible to see oncoming traffic headed in my intended direction of travel.

How is this typically handled? I was thinking I might try to find an additional mirror and angle it at about 45 degrees. Anyone have a good suggestion?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also have a 2017 Cargo, but it came with rear windows. I still do not like merging on the passenger side, even though I have the bsm option. I was at an auto glass shop last week as I want to have a window installed in the sliding door on the passenger side. I had this shop install one in my last van, Nissan nv1500, and it was great. However, my guy called several suppliers and was unable to find a window with opening screens at the bottom at this time. One of the companies told him they should have one for the Metris in a few months. Until then I try to set up my van in the best possible angle to see oncoming traffic from that side.

·
Registered
64 Posts
...unable to find a window with opening screens at the bottom at this time.
There has been some discussion about aftermarket windows in the camper conversion threads. You might find what you are looking for by searching those threads.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I also have a 2017 Cargo, but it came with rear windows. I still do not like merging on the passenger side, even though I have the bsm option. I was at an auto glass shop last week as I want to have a window installed in the sliding door on the passenger side. I had this shop install one in my last van, Nissan nv1500, and it was great. However, my guy called several suppliers and was unable to find a window with opening screens at the bottom at this time. One of the companies told him they should have one for the Metris in a few months. Until then I try to set up my van in the best possible angle to see oncoming traffic from that side.
Ask you Mercedes dealer for the sliding door window. My dealer has oem windows for the sliding door and they had a glass shop installed it.

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
330 Posts
Walstib- Motion Windows sells a window specifically made for the Metris. I have them on my 2016 cargo van and they certainly provide additional visibility. You'll have to call Motion Windows- last time I looked they did not show on on their web site.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Walstib- Motion Windows sells a window specifically made for the Metris. I have them on my 2016 cargo van and they certainly provide additional visibility. You'll have to call Motion Windows- last time I looked they did not show on on their web site.
Just ordered 2 from Motion for the rear quarters. They also have them, for the door and drivers front. Super easy. Now the wait. 8 weeks ugh!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed it, too. And, I have a passenger model.
I suggest getting a 'fish-eye' mirror.
I may have to try the fish eye. I wonder if I would be able to see the traffic well enough to do the trick.

I'm not interested in a window in that location and while I've learned to set up my left turns to be as perpendicular as possible, sometimes one finds themselves with little choice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same cargo van, with no window on the sliding door. Here's how I'm mitigating the blind spot:

1) ordered the van with blind spot detection

2) bought the aspherical passenger mirror on ebay (curved on the end, much wider field of view, part number 4478110533, as per 'mirrors' thread in this forum)

3) added two inch fish eye mirror to both side mirrors (in case blind spot detection breaks)

4) added dash cam w/extra back-up camera mounted inside the van on the upright in the front of the passenger window facing backwards (this lets me see that what's in that oblique blindspot when in parking lots and for u-turns, screen is not too large but it's better than nothing)

I'm leaning towards installing a window (with screen) in the sliding door, probably next year.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My passenger side mirror already has a curved portion at the extreme right, so I can see all traffic coming.
It is the Driver's side mirror that needs some extra view.
I have the same problem on my Audi TTS. I don't know why manufacturers can't address this stuff when designing a vehicle. These things are quite apparent when you try to drive.
In any case, a good old convex fisheye mirror will keep you safe. Just get a small one that you can install on the upper left hand corner.
If you want something larger, I know there are some that can be mounted above the mirror. Let me check Amazon...
B

·
Registered
401 Posts
The window in the passenger side sliding door comes in big help I do occasionally turn my head trying to look out back on the driver side but I have to stop bc there is no window. I found a setting my driver side mirror that works well for me it took a good amount of testing on different highway to get it right.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't see how it improves your ability to see any better. You would have to rotate your head more than 90 degrees to observe any vehicles.- Unless I am reading this incorrectly.
B
my thoughts exactly. This is my first cargo van. I have no rear glass and no issues with left turns. Not really seeing the issue here. what kind of left turn are you making where more visibility is needed?

·
Registered
147 Posts
my thoughts exactly. This is my first cargo van. I have no rear glass and no issues with left turns. Not really seeing the issue here. what kind of left turn are you making where more visibility is needed?
MOWO, there is a pretty scary blind spot that I noticed when merging onto highway or changing lanes. It is roughly the area just behind the rear bumper to the drivers side window.
If someone is merging right while you are merging left, you don't see them until they are practically next to you.
Bob

·
Registered
147 Posts
@MakerMark, though I have no experience with motorcycles, I think it best to keep your head in one position and let your eyes 'do the walking'.
When you move your head, you have to re calibrate all your measurements-and that takes time. Maybe a few fractions of a second, but that may be the amount of time to avoid a collision. This is what I feel comfortable with, so take it with a grain of salt, and...
YMMV.
Bob

1 - 20 of 47 Posts