Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Metris family! I have basically asked this before without all of the info below. This is my last bit of rumination on the subject. I promise ;)

I have a basic no frills Metris, only heated seats and cruise control. I have self converted it into a very simple camper van and that is its purpose. My thoughts are to buy an OBD II reader (for when on the road needing help) (? Which one?), and dump it if it starts to be problematic. I found a shop (German Percision in ABQ, NM) that made me very comfortable with the van. The owner didn't really know the van itself but when he put it on the lift he recognized all the old put together Mercedes parts, told me a little about the major stuff, replaced a few missing bolts, did the B service (-cabin filter replacement because the miles were so low at 6k) and brake fluid replacement for ~$200. He is happy to continue working on the van as needed. I am reluctant to buy an extended warranty for 14% of the vehicle price I paid (using ew price estimate from Jeff), especially with my "I'll be dumping it if it is a problem" attitude. The manufacturer date is 09/2015. If I have a lemon based on that date, please let me know. I believe that my plan makes sense. Simple van, obdII reader, local mechanic, AAA. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well, if and when it needs a (trans, engine, electrical whatever) sell it. I advocate the ELW. A fellow tech (can do his own work) bought an ELW on a w211 then his trans went out. The cost of the ELW was the same as the trans and he got paid to put it in.
Just an opinion. Don't buy it if you don't want to.

Search the ELM whatever OBDii. It connects to your phone and you can scan and clear codes

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chmedly: The bolts missing were from a plastic undercarriage cover, probably removed by or at least seen by dealer when it was in a few months ago for that recall bolt torquing and a complimentary?21? point check.

Thanks RobbMexx: I'll probably continue to ruminate until the time runs out. I do love the thing!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another data point for me is use/year. I am only using it for trips which most likely be 5-10k/year, currently only 4K/yr. Therefore, it will only be at 26,000-46,000 miles at the end of the ELW. I assume that the majority of major $$$ mechanical needs will be after this.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I didn't get an ELW either, not worth it. We put about 7-9k a year on our van....so statistically chances of a major repair are pretty small over the next several years.

Reactions: Lala2

·
Registered
305 Posts
I dunno if it’s worth it. The last problem I had (a busted microswitch in the hood latch requiring replacing the latch) wasn’t covered. I’ve driven 90k miles in the past 3 years.
What did they charge you for that? A grand $$$$?:eek: Or you to embarrassed to say? :D

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
340 Posts
I had the "Door Open" light staying on last year. A faulty door lock switch on the passenger side sliding door was determined to be the problem. The switch was $274, labor to fix the switch was $ $978. Total bill for one faulty switch- $1252. You really only have to have a few minor problems like this to recover the cost of the extended warranty.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had the "Door Open" light staying on last year. A faulty door lock switch on the passenger side sliding door was determined to be the problem. The switch was $274, labor to fix the switch was $ $978. Total bill for one faulty switch- $1252. You really only have to have a few minor problems like this to recover the cost of the extended warranty.

ELW doesn't cover everything. It's mostly a powertrain warranty. Most of the body stuff is not covered at all just major electrical components.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
$160 installed, actually. I can’t imagine what would take $978 in labor. I’m so thankful I have an honest dealer.

To be clear I am PISSED MB does not cover the switch, but that is not my dealers fault.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not sure this has been posted. ELW contract. Most interesting item to me is the non-approved oil filters note. Pretty sure Mann is making them for MB wonder how much of a pain they would be with a filter from a Mann box vs an MB box.

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
You can get the MB official filters on ebay for practically the same price as the Mann ones....so I've been getting the MB fancy box ones. For all my other vehicles I use the Mann filters....they are technically the manufacturer of the MB filters/OEM.

Reactions: Lala2

·
Registered
248 Posts
Don't they use $274 switches so they DON'T go bad in the first place? That kind of price is in the range of industrial control switches that do their duty thousands of times each day.
Honestly, this is comparable to health care costs.
Welcome to Mercedes Benz buddy! LOL:laugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts