Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Metris vans out there equipped as such?

Lots of Sprinters out there as former Red Cross workvans, but miled out with 5 cyl 2.7 litre diesels.

I was thinking of doing this as a home based business. I surmise that the Metris could probably easilly fit two wheelchairs or one full sized stretcher.
So obviously I would need the motorized ramp at the rear and anchors for both wheelchairs/gurney.

I figure if I can get a partial grant I can have my Metris and make money using it. :nerd:

Reactions: normanfoley

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
435 Posts
A sprinter would have a more idea interior height for wheelchair passengers. If you google Vito and wheelchair you can see many different fitted configurations. Some even cut and drop the floor from the rear lift. If you have been in the business you probably know where the sweet spot is for van size in your location. The low height of the deck has some advantages, but I would say there is some risk with head clearance that is easily avoided with another van choice. Liability and delay for a minor incident when a head connects to the door frame or otherwise might not be work the efforts. But if you have clients and feel the low clearance of the van can get you into parking decks and such and increase business etc then it could be a great van.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Metris is larger inside that the usual Dodge Caravans and I don't want to drive a Chrysler anything. So for lighter duty the Metris will be more than ideal. The Sprinter will also be considered for increased workloads. At least the Sprinter can take on more passengers easily if we are all going to the same hospital or whatever.

I'll be contacting a mobility outfitter soon to see if they've worked on any Metris'. If not, see what the costs could be to modify one adequately and reliably.

Reactions: DerDichter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Metris wheelchair accessibility conversions are coming very soon...Probably be by June to have them available to order through MB dealers. I don't have a ton of details and don't want to speak over my head with information I have just yet...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I came back from the mobility upfitter place. So included for a D409 Compliance the sliding/rear inside door height MUST be 56" high for commercial use (also a back up alarm). The Metris is 49.6". For personal use (ie: family member) it can be less.

Yes, with an APPROVED and CERTIFIED modification it is more than possible on the Metris, but we're talking about re-engineering the floors, making sure they are crash test worthy and the structural integrity remains intact (ie undercoating yearly must be applied).

https://youtu.be/FW_0KmURoEA

https://youtu.be/MC810GwFo-w

So, in conclusion, its undertandable as to why the Metris hasn't had this application done yet. Its been perfected for the Caravan, Sienna and Odyssey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts