Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently had Best Buy install an aftermarket head unit and now suddenly there’s no power to it. Since I couldn’t charge my phone I plugged in a cig lighter-style adapter in directly below to try to charge my phone but no power there either. Thinking it could be a fuse? Or any other thoughts?

·
Registered
93 Posts
very possible its a fuse. Some installers will tap a switched power source like the cigarette lighter since modern OEM stereos no longer use that type of trigger for turning the radio on and off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
very possible its a fuse. Some installers will tap a switched power source like the cigarette lighter since modern OEM stereos no longer use that type of trigger for turning the radio on and off.
Bingo. Cigarette lighter fuse. My wife tried to plug in a charger there and the load must have been too much with the stereo.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What type of charger, just one of those plugs that give you powered USB ports for your phone? Is this a charger you've used before? Even a modern Quick Charge cell phone charger shouldn't draw more than a few amps.

The additional power draw from the radio should be insignificant, its just a signal to tell the radio to turn on. Seems suspect to me that you blew a fuse. If it happens again I would take RobbMeeX's advice and take it back to Bestbuy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
For me I decided I needed a backup camera after the fact. The choices were $410 for the MidCity engineering kit or for the same price I can get an aftermarket receiver that included better bluetooth integration including CarPlay and Android Auto, better audio DSP functionality, expanded I/O, better radio reception with HD Radio, DVD and backup camera.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts