Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I'm determined to make the metris passenger van our family minivan. I don't know why the Vito isn't available here but what can we do. So I'm researching conversion options to deck out the van to our liking. I'm really excited about this process.

Thanks in advance for all your Metris advice!

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's what we use our 8 passenger for. We have 5 crumbcrunchers, 14,7,5,3 and -2 months. Even with three kids, a regular minivan was crap. 3rd seat in the third row was useless as was the second row 3rd seat. The Metris has 5 or 6 real seats in the back. As the kids get older and bigger it was worse.

Only real thing we added was a DVD player, dealer did it as part of the deal.

·
Registered
157 Posts
We test drove an Odyssey, but the poor salesman didn't have a chance since we had already driven the Metris. Good minivan, but real vans are better :D

What are you interested in adding?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm falling hard for the explorer basic pkg which swaps out the seats and adds captain chairs to the second row, sound deadening subfloor, air compressor/vacuum, more interior lighting, center console with cupholders....basically making the van more comfortable.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm falling hard for the explorer basic pkg which swaps out the seats and adds captain chairs to the second row, sound deadening subfloor, air compressor/vacuum, more interior lighting, center console with cupholders....basically making the van more comfortable.
For what it's worth, the 2018 Metris will offer "face-to-face seating for the passenger rows" (option code X48, $550). The Order Guide says the option is delayed until Q4 2017, though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The Explorer van is nice. I think the high roof looks like an afterthought from the outside, but the windows and hidden mood lighting is really well done on the inside and seats are comfortable. So are the factory captains chairs though. Too bad the bench doesn't recline like the V-class or Vito, and the inflexibility of the bench positions / no fold down bench-bed is the one thing I hate. I did drill my floor rails to allow putting the center bench in backwards for face-to-face seating.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I have sat on Explorers seats, and road in other explorer products as a kid. The Metris seats feel inferior on the sit down because they are very traditional Mercedes seats (minus the coil spring bounce and the smell of the wool and horsehair pads, anyway). But I have driven 700 mile days (and my wife doesn't drive, so I really mean I have driven 700 miles at the wheel in one day), and woke up just fine the next morning, for another long day.

I wouldn't go with the explorer route. Mercedes is offering a four rail seatless option for 2018. Go with that and some V-class buckets.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
In the interest of full disclosure, I particularly like European style seating. How much so? I ran a business converting automative seats into office chairs, and I have relics of it in my house.

I am currently sitting on this product: (I couldn't upload a more current image)

1988 Volvo 240 sedan in wool cloth.

And while my business is entirely defunct, here is its old web site:

Car Seat Chairs

·
Registered
157 Posts
Those are cool. I was just thinking about building a furniture base for my 2nd row bench that normally just sits in the garage. And, yes the MB captains seats really are good. I took a 2,500 mi road trip two months ago and I felt like I could keep driving forever each day. Lumbar support is very good.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hi everyone.

I'm determined to make the metris passenger van our family minivan. I don't know why the Vito isn't available here but what can we do. So I'm researching conversion options to deck out the van to our liking. I'm really excited about this process.

Thanks in advance for all your Metris advice!
I know the difference between V Class (Just got one in Mexico!!!, Next week should be in the US) and the Metris. But I thought the Metris was just the US/Canada Name of the Vito, what's different?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where are you finding these vans with the rear face to face seating? I cannot find that anywhere... the brochure states it as well, but the dealership i am working with, really doesn't know anything about their own product. Also, you mention an "explorer" package? Can you elaborate? Is that custom after-market? I am in the same situation, our Odyssey is a joke on performance and we need a family van that is more comfortable than the Metris in the back... apparently you cannot even fold down the seats??? I had an 89 Aerostar that did that... I don't get it.

I do not want the bells and whistles of auto doors (Odysseys are already broken), 9 different cameras and assists, and 27 different things to do with the seats... i just want to be able to flip them down to through in some surfboards and bikes when needed.

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
739 Posts
Where are you finding these vans with the rear face to face seating? I cannot find that anywhere... the brochure states it as well, but the dealership i am working with, really doesn't know anything about their own product. Also, you mention an "explorer" package? Can you elaborate? Is that custom after-market? I am in the same situation, our Odyssey is a joke on performance and we need a family van that is more comfortable than the Metris in the back... apparently you cannot even fold down the seats??? I had an 89 Aerostar that did that... I don't get it.

I do not want the bells and whistles of auto doors (Odysseys are already broken), 9 different cameras and assists, and 27 different things to do with the seats... i just want to be able to flip them down to through in some surfboards and bikes when needed.

Thanks
There is ab option that can be ordered with a new van for a 7 passenger van where the rear configuration can be face to face. I think you said you saw it in the brochure. X48 is the code for the face-to-face seating.

http://www.explorervan.com/Mercedes_Metris_standard_features.cfm

Explorer van offers upfitting for passenger Metris vans. You can find them at many MB dealers.

For what its worth if you desire flip down seats to make the cargo space usable ... that is not the Metris. The factory seats do not fold and there is no stowage in the floor. You can remove them, but they are heavy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts