Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Letter dated April 2022.

Below I have typed in the most important things in the notice....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Safety Recall Notice.

Check and Replace Fuel Hose Clamps and Hose

NHTSA Recall #22V134

This recall notice applies to some MY 2017-2022 M-B Metris vehicles.

The problem is the upper and lower fuel hose connections for the fuel lines on the 4-cylinder engines may not be securely attached. This could lead to minor fuel leak at the upper connection that feeds the high pressure fuel pump or the lower connecting point of the transition hose, between the under body fuel line and the Schrader valve. A fuel leak in the presnce of a potential igntion source within the engine compartment could create a risk of fire.

An authorized M-B Metris dealer will check the correct mounting of the upper and lower fuel hose connections and replace the clamps and the fuel hose if necessary.

Unfortunately the parts to remedy this issue are currently not yet available.

When the parts are available another letter will be sent asking I take my vehicle to an authorized M-B dealer to have the recall completed free of charge.

A phone number: 1 800 367 6372 is given. And there is a VIN based recall lookup tool on the MBUSA.com website which offers a search function that will indicate whether a vehicle has been subject to a safety recall notice.

www.mbvans.com/sprinter/owners-resources/recall

and enter your vehicle's 17 digit VIN in the look up tool.

Added: Since my search for a thread on this subject failed to turn up this thread I have removed this line: "Searched and found no post on this so I thought I'd mention it so owners would be aware of this..." Clearly my searching attempt was a failure...

I noticed that the recall campaign has been updated with a new notice to dealers that outlines specifically what has to be done to resolve the issue. They have also reduced the number of dealer inventory vehicles that are affected from 187 to 141. These may be the vehicles that were manufactured after the November 2021 "fix" instituted at the assembly line.

So, I got a letter yesterday from Mercedes with safety recall stamped on it. Immediately thought fuel lines or brake fluid reservoir. However, inside was
Font Rectangle Circle Magenta Number

Font Number Document Pattern Paper

Strangely enough I've been using a trailer a lot recently and noticed sometimes when I switch to trailer view, the screen goes blank and I have to switch to neutral and back to reverse to see again. Doesn't sound exactly like the same thing unless they did the software update at the last service...

So, I got a letter yesterday from Mercedes with safety recall stamped on it. Immediately thought fuel lines or brake fluid reservoir. However, inside was
View attachment 21011
View attachment 21012

Strangely enough I've been using a trailer a lot recently and noticed sometimes when I switch to trailer view, the screen goes blank and I have to switch to neutral and back to reverse to see again. Doesn't sound exactly like the same thing unless they did the software update at the last service...
What's the recall ID number?

Re: Fuel connection recall. My van has been paid for. I registered the van in my state & received plates already. I am scheduled to pick it up from the dealer next week (1st week in May). I then have to drive it back home halfway across the country (WA to midwest). Does MB allow the dealer to release it to me? Can I insist the dealer at least visually inspect the van for the problem? Should I accept the van if the dealer refuses to inspect it? What if it doesn't pass dealer's visual inspection - is dealer required to store it? What if it does pass - should I believe them? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

#22V099 is the recall number for the rear view display. I also have the recall notices for the brake fluid reservoir and the fuel line. I have an appt. in May for my annual maintenance and will take all 3 recall letters with me.
My dealer service writer never called me back after his initial enthusiastic call . . . I'm guessing no parts.

Re: Fuel connection recall. My van has been paid for. I registered the van in my state & received plates already. I am scheduled to pick it up from the dealer next week (1st week in May). I then have to drive it back home halfway across the country (WA to midwest). Does MB allow the dealer to release it to me? Can I insist the dealer at least visually inspect the van for the problem? Should I accept the van if the dealer refuses to inspect it? What if it doesn't pass dealer's visual inspection - is dealer required to store it? What if it does pass - should I believe them? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
If you paid for it prior to the late March 2022 Initial Recall Notice then your van would likely be treated just like the other 42,073 affected vehicles in the field. It would not be counted in the 187 vehicles in Dealer Inventory (which has since been reduced to 141 as of the latest recall update linked above). But if you paid for it after the initial recall then the dealer may have broken Federal Law by selling it to you without first resolving the fuel line clamp recall issue. I think that given the potential severity of this issue that dealers will be careful. The detailed notice (linked above) shows exactly what needs to be inspected and what to look for as well as how to resolve the issue. The dealer I am working with were not aware of the "stop sell" in the initial recall notice from MB to dealers (I made them aware of it). However the van I plan to buy did come up "pink" in the inventory list indicating that something needed to be addressed prior to delivery.

New member, But not yet an owner with my first posting, . I placed an order in early Nov, waited patiently until mid March when the dealer contacted me to let me know the van was ready to ship. But then another email arrived to let me know that MB had placed a do not sell tag on it. So I guess I am one of the lucky 141 buyers who has to wait, but for how long? The van's is meant primarily as a "bike rack" but I also need it for business, so I am getting ready to rent a van by the month. Is there any chance MB will find 141 kits, or will I be waiting until all the kits are with the dealers which is I understand will be July or later.

New member, But not yet an owner with my first posting, . I placed an order in early Nov, waited patiently until mid March when the dealer contacted me to let me know the van was ready to ship. But then another email arrived to let me know that MB had placed a do not sell tag on it. So I guess I am one of the lucky 141 buyers who has to wait, but for how long? The van's is meant primarily as a "bike rack" but I also need it for business, so I am getting ready to rent a van by the month. Is there any chance MB will find 141 kits, or will I be waiting until all the kits are with the dealers which is I understand will be July or later.
I took delivery of a new Metris last Friday. I was told by the dealership in late March, when I put a deposit on the van, that the parts would be available in Q3 but that they could be available much earlier. Then I got a call on April 18th that the van would be ready in a few days. I am assuming that they either had the parts to fix it or, after inspection, the van did not have the problem. Either way the van was ready for pick-up on the 29th. So I would pester your dealer about getting the recall resolved as it would appear that it can be in some cases. Good luck!

The dealer informed me that my van is "ready to ship" but he hasn't got a delivery date yet. MB has a backlog of vans to ship and are shipping every day. I hope to be a Metris owner by the first of June. Until then I can order my Luci light and check the other threads.

The dealer informed me that my van is "ready to ship" but he hasn't got a delivery date yet. MB has a backlog of vans to ship and are shipping every day. I hope to be a Metris owner by the first of June. Until then I can order my Luci light and check the other threads.
sounds like progress! hopefully they come through.

Got the letter informing me the parts to address the fuel hose clamps and hose safety recall are available and I can make arrangements to have my van in for this. The service department will check the correct mounting of the upper and lower fuel hose connections and replace the clamps and hose if necessary. This takes approximately one hour.

We got the letter from Mercedes-Benz yesterday - dated May, 2022. We called our local dealer and were told that the next available appointment is the end of August. This is for a "safety recall"! We were also told that they might have to keep the van for two to five days, even though the letter explicitly says it "could take approximately 1 hour."
We are sending a letter to MB requesting they authorize us to have the inspection & work performed at our local MB certified repair shop and that they will reimburse us for the work.
We'll see what response we get.

We got the letter from Mercedes-Benz yesterday - dated May, 2022. We called our local dealer and were told that the next available appointment is the end of August. This is for a "safety recall"! We were also told that they might have to keep the van for two to five days, even though the letter explicitly says it "could take approximately 1 hour."
We are sending a letter to MB requesting they authorize us to have the inspection & work performed at our local MB certified repair shop and that they will reimburse us for the work.
We'll see what response we get.
Where are you located? That sounds like a bit of a nightmare as far as service from a Mercedes dealer.

I tried to schedule my first A service for the end of the week. My dealer told me that since the brake recall makes the van a liability for MB, they won't release it back to me until the recall has been fixed. They tell me it's going to take the whole day. So I was told to be prepared to be without the van until it's fixed! I was not given the option to just get the A service done and come back to address the recall at a more convenient time.

I tried to schedule my first A service for the end of the week. My dealer told me that since the brake recall makes the van a liability for MB, they won't release it back to me until the recall has been fixed. They tell me it's going to take the whole day. So I was told to be prepared to be without the van until it's fixed! I was not given the option to just get the A service done and come back to address the recall at a more convenient time.
I can understand the concern by MB (although they took a very long time to take action on the issue of the brake fluid reservoir mounting errors) but, based on the descriptions of the 'fix", it sounds like it should take but a few minutes to resolve the issue. As in this, and virtually all other service activities in the US, circumstances have lead to significant shortages in qualified personnel. One of the primary drivers for this (and something that is not often discussed) is the "Great Retirement" of baby boomers. Prior to the pandemic they were retiring at a rate of about 10,000 per day. That has accelerated by 7% since the beginning of the pandemic. Some have noted that this increased 7% is almost entirely highly-skilled technical and journeyman (journeywoman) personnel. They take a lot of experience, efficiency, and mentorship with them and this leaves operations like MB service with deficient staff in both numbers and knowledge which slows the operation down. I'm not giving excuses for MB service, just pointing out that it is a difficult environment and one that we will be living with for some time to come. There are just not enough GenX replacements and the Millennials are only just starting to impact such high-skill jobs.

What the dealer told you doesn't jive with what I recall from the 1st letter -- which I can't put my hands on (dammit!) -- nor the 2nd letter.

If the brake recall made for a liability to M-B one would have thought it would have put in the letter the instructions to park the vehicle.

The 2nd letter doesn't appear to indicate any great urgency to having this brake recall done.

Steps to take: For additional information and to schedule an appointment, please contact your preferred authorized M-B Metris dealer at your earliest convenience.

That hardly reads like M-B is quaking in its boots regarding its liability exposure.

I have both the brake reservoir and fuel line recall scheduled to be addressed today. Initial estimate is it will take 2 hours. Upon receiving the letter informing me of a possible brake fluid reservoir problem I looked at the brake fluid reservoir and it looks ok. I have not bothered to look at the fuel lines -- buried in the engine compartment -- but I have not smelled the odor of gasoline, if that means anything.

The SA at my local M-B dealer did want to get me in this week. He said next week was booked solid and I gathered this was likely to be the case going forward some time. Believe it is in part due to more people planning on summer vacations and getting their vehicles in for service before school lets out and they can then hit the road.

FWIW, Dodge for my 2018 Hellcat issued a recall dealing with the cruise control system and CAN communication issue. I forget the symptoms that could arise but a software update was the solution. Talked to one dealer. Was told I would just have to bring the car in. I could wait but it might take all day. No loaner available. No shuttle ride home -- about 10 miles away. I have expected him to tell me the waiting room/coffee machine would be off limits while I waited. I mean I was never made to feel so unwanted at a dealer in my life.

So I decided to just wait. And I also made a note to never ever use this dealer again.

Some time later -- months but not many -- I had the car in for another issue. Oh, and at another dealer. Shop foreman checked and found the car was due for 3 updates. One for the PCM. Another for TCM. (These updates applied to the symptom I had brought the car in for.) But it was also due for the update to address the Cruise Control/CAN issue. All 3 were applied while I waited. Took less than 2 hours.

What the dealer told you doesn't jive with what I recall from the 1st letter -- which I can't put my hands on (dammit!) -- nor the 2nd letter.

If the brake recall made for a liability to M-B one would have thought it would have put in the letter the instructions to park the vehicle.

The 2nd letter doesn't appear to indicate any great urgency to having this brake recall done.

Steps to take: For additional information and to schedule an appointment, please contact your preferred authorized M-B Metris dealer at your earliest convenience.

That hardly reads like M-B is quaking in its boots regarding its liability exposure.

I have both the brake reservoir and fuel line recall scheduled to be addressed today. Initial estimate is it will take 2 hours. Upon receiving the letter informing me of a possible brake fluid reservoir problem I looked at the brake fluid reservoir and it looks ok. I have not bothered to look at the fuel lines -- buried in the engine compartment -- but I have not smelled the odor of gasoline, if that means anything.

The SA at my local M-B dealer did want to get me in this week. He said next week was booked solid and I gathered this was likely to be the case going forward some time. Believe it is in part due to more people planning on summer vacations and getting their vehicles in for service before school lets out and they can then hit the road.

FWIW, Dodge for my 2018 Hellcat issued a recall dealing with the cruise control system and CAN communication issue. I forget the symptoms that could arise but a software update was the solution. Talked to one dealer. Was told I would just have to bring the car in. I could wait but it might take all day. No loaner available. No shuttle ride home -- about 10 miles away. I have expected him to tell me the waiting room/coffee machine would be off limits while I waited. I mean I was never made to feel so unwanted at a dealer in my life.

So I decided to just wait. And I also made a note to never ever use this dealer again.

Some time later -- months but not many -- I had the car in for another issue. Oh, and at another dealer. Shop foreman checked and found the car was due for 3 updates. One for the PCM. Another for TCM. (These updates applied to the symptom I had brought the car in for.) But it was also due for the update to address the Cruise Control/CAN issue. All 3 were applied while I waited. Took less than 2 hours.
That sounds more like what is typical with an MB service center. Great to hear!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.