Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

New wipers....

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jenex 
#1 ·
Yeah, not the worst thing that could happen but the passenger side wiper blade failed. (2020 126" cargo van.)

Been streaking for a while. Finally decided to "fix" it thinking it was something on the blade but I spotted the blade had split lengthwise.

Tried to get blades at an O'Rielly auto parts store but the store didn't even show Metris in its vehicle parts catalog listings.

So waited until Monday and went to the local dealer. Besides wipers I needed some touch up paint to address a nasty paint chip.

Dealer had the wipers in stock. (Touch up paint will be here Wednesday.)

Wiper part# 447 820 54 00. That's for a box of both wipers. List price: $102.70. Net price: $66. (Touch up paint list price: $43.50. Net price: $25.)

Anticipating new wipers before I went into the store I removed the passenger wiper. But had to put it back on when the store didn't have any in stock. However, I could not get it back on so I drove home and then got a step ladder and fussed a bit and finally got it back on.

But I thought the experience at and after the parts store had qualified me to be a wiper changer and this time I could handle changing the wipers myself. I was wrong. And I brought my step ladder with me. In part my hand strength has suffered from surgery on both hands. And my shoulders hurt when I try to work with my arms raised. At any rate a tech (woman) passing by took pity on me -- heard me whimpering I guess -- and offered to help. She got the old wipers off in no time and the new ones installed in less than no time. I have to admit I really like this Mercedes dealer.

Gave the wipers a swipe and nothing untoward happened. But they will get a work out later this week. Dry now but rain is forecast to return Wednesday night and remain in the forecast through Monday. Wait. That's Wednesday night through Monday? Should not have bought wipers. Should have bought an ark.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah, not the worst thing that could happen but the passenger side wiper blade failed. (2020 126" cargo van.)

Been streaking for a while. Finally decided to "fix" it thinking it was something on the blade but I spotted the blade had split lengthwise.

Tried to get blades at an O'Rielly auto parts store but the store didn't even show Metris in its vehicle parts catalog listings.

So waited until Monday and went to the local dealer. Besides wipers I needed some touch up paint to address a nasty paint chip.

Dealer had the wipers in stock. (Touch up paint will be here Wednesday.)

Wiper part# 447 820 54 00. That's for a box of both wipers. List price: $102.70. Net price: $66. (Touch up paint list price: $43.50. Net price: $25.)

Anticipating new wipers before I went into the store I removed the passenger wiper. But had to put it back on when the store didn't have any in stock. ...
Outside of the MB Dealer, you can find these online as Bosch AERO Twin wiper blades 700mm + 450mm (28 + 18 inches) for about $36 - $48 for both front windshield blades. These are easy snap-in replacements.
Part #: 3397014179
EBay, Partsgeek.com, Carparts.com, etc. Once you install a set, you should order your next replacement set so you'll have 'em in-hand when you need them, instead of having to wait then for shipping & delivery.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.