Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just purchased a little brother van ( 2016 cargo Metris) to match my bigger bro (2017 3500 Sprinter). Bought the Metris to replace my worker Dodge Ram 2500 truck that has expired, and no longer need that much towing power. Plan is to add a ladder rack, for a single 24' extension, a hitch, and some DIY storage shelving, any experience with good options would be greatly appreciated. The Curt hitch is on my list so far. Van has 90,000 miles, coming from a Benz dealership that completed all recalls, new tires, brakes, shocks, 4 wheel alignment, and B service. Should be good to go. Any thing else I might consider checking out when I pick it up on the 25th would be also appreciated. Looking forward to reading up on this site. :cool:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Plan is to add a ladder rack, for a single 24' extension, a hitch, and some DIY storage shelving, any experience with good options would be greatly appreciated. The Curt hitch is on my list so far.
For better ground clearance, you might consider getting the factory hitch instead. The crossbar goes inside the bumper instead of under it. I've seen other people's Metrises' aftermarket hitches scrape on steep driveways. I also hear they can deflect exhaust into the bumper cavity.

It is not necessary to go whole hog and retrofit the factory trailer recognition module and wiring harness. Or I should say no more necessary than with an aftermarket hitch. The factory hitch hardware alone is more expensive - about 2.5x the price of the Curt, or about $465.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For better ground clearance, you might consider getting the factory hitch instead.
This. I actually would not recommend anything other than the oem hitch for this reason. The van is low.
Thanks for the advice. After further searching posts about hitches, I am finding the factory trailer pre-wire sounds like it may not be a simple plug/play like most vehicles. May skip the idea of being able to pull my trailer with the Metris. May still get the factory receiver though, so I can put the bike rack on it.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,295 Posts
Thanks for the advice. After further searching posts about hitches, I am finding the factory trailer pre-wire sounds like it may not be a simple plug/play like most vehicles. May skip the idea of being able to pull my trailer with the Metris. May still get the factory receiver though, so I can put the bike rack on it.

This thread would be helpful if you decide you wanted to install yourself. Honestly, think you should do it.

https://www.metrisforum.com/forum/1...on/5394-fitting-oe-trailer-hitch-harness.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on my little bro:
Flew out to Knoxville last week and picked it up, drove it back to Denver 1300 miles. Ran perfect, and was incredibly comfortable. Interior cab looks brand new, very clean, and obviously well taken care of. Ordered up some WeatherTech floor mats and a ladder rack from AA Products, (strongly recommend for anyone looking for a great quality rack for little $) and a 44" shelf unit from Adrian Steel, and got it all upfit and ready to put it to work, and can throw the mountain bikes inside for some play too. Decided to wait on the hitch, have the big Sprinter for pulling the trailer when needed.
Looks tiny next to big bro.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts