Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

New Sportsmobile Metris Camper

31K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  colejr 
I went there/SM about a month ago. Pretty amazing facility.
I was at Sportsmobile West recently too, on July 13th. I was in CA for work so took an extra day, rented a car and drove down to Fresno. Brian Furrow showed me around and we had a very nice conversation. From comments on the Sportsmobile forum, Brian appears to be well respected by customers who are ordering Sprinter custom campers, SMB’s main business. He said so far customers had taken delivery of four Terracamper conversions and an unspecified number of pop-top installs. Several more of each were in process when I was there plus other Metris work. It sounds like their Metris strategy is still evolving as they learn more about the Metris and customer demand.

I went specifically to see their Terracamper conversion with SGA top. I agree that some of the other Metris stuff Brian showed me wasn't as exciting. Brian explained that they partnered with Terracamper because their conversions are already approved by Mercedes in Germany, so easier to get approved here. I was impressed with the apparent quality of the SMB Terracamper conversion and the solidness of the Teracamper components. However it’s much different from the standard SMB wooden cabinetry aesthetic - more like the German equivalent of 80/20 boxes.

I’m 6’1” and with the top up I’m able to stand anywhere in the living area. There’s plenty of storage in the back, but not much usable storage forward. Otherwise the general layout fits the bill for me. They had to make a few necessary modifications from the European layout. Because of the side airbags, the lower bed is suspended from the upper bed instead of the upper side wall, so can't be set up with the upper bed raised.

One disappointment was that at this point they don't offer any options at all, not even the sophisticated German electronics and lighting that were in the original Terracamper US demo build (not UL listed?) and not any of the options listed on the Terracamper US website. However I talked with Andreas Bruckner of Terracamper US (which is only a few miles from SMB) and he indicated that it might be possible to have SMB do the bulk of a conversion and then have him add Terracamper specific options and electronics. I am guessing that’s what he did with his original demo unit, which I believe was actually converted for Terracamper US by SMB. From my conversation with Brian it’s also possible that SMB might offer some options in the future.

SMB conversions, including their Metris conversions, are just basically expensive. Even so, I’m still considering SMB because as far as I am aware they are the only certified Mercedes Master Upfitter doing Metris campers and pop-tops. Also I think they’re the only RVIA member doing Metris conversions, but that’s neither here nor there since their Metris camper doesn't meet minimal RVIA requirements and so isn't eligible for the RVIA seal anyway.

Hello all. I, too, have had conversations with Mr. Bruckner of Terracamper US. He indicated he had business agreements to build the Metris-based product with Sportsmobile in California and TouRig (mytourig.com) in the Denver area. I have spoken to Eric Miller at TouRig and have a visit planned later this month. At this time the TouRig website does not indicate the Terracamper product.
That’s wonderful! BTW TouRig has pictures of a completed Terracamper Sprinter and partially completed Metris on their Facebook and Instagram feeds.

Please give share your thoughts after your visit!

Axle, colejr - I was out at Tourig a couple of weeks ago and would be happy to share my thoughts if interested.
2Troopers, I would like to hear what you thoughts are. There are a bunch of us on the fence, trying to see what the differences are and what the best finished product will be. The more public input about product quality and installation will help us all. Hopefully it will get the upfitters to be more competitive both with cost and quality.
+1
From their Instagram posts it looks like Tourig is offering more options: swivel seats, German electronics, solar, others? Would definitely appreciate hearing your observations and opinions.

I agree with the interior comment. I am not sure how they can justify charging $27,000 for that interior set up. Way too expensive for what you are getting.
This I believe is the Sportsmobile price sheet for their TerraCamper conversion? Definitely pricey but afaik the only Metris camper conversion with US-legal replacement rear seating and that is fully Mercedes approved. Also the TerraCamper Vito conversion appears to have good reviews back in Germany.

2Troopers:
I understand that Tourig is also using SCA roofs and German TerraCamper interior? I'd be interested in hearing how it looks re. fit & finish and what customization Tourig is doing with their conversion. btw, the Sportsmobile demo I saw didn't use the German Votronic electronics and the added LEDs were stick-on AAA battery puck lights! (I hope the latter has been rectified.)

I've been talking to PEACE VANS in Seattle. They are gearing up for doing Metris conversions. They have been doing VW for years.
They are not cheap, but they do good work. They will do what you want for an interior, Reimo interior. Pop top is SCA.
Interesting, I was unaware Peace Vans was doing a Metris. Keep us informed and pictures please!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.