Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just received this recall notice today. It has to do with aluminum bolts on the steering gear housing bolts and power pack could corrode and fail. It went on to mention road salt - northern latitudes is where the problem is, most likely.

I'm not going in for it. I'm South and I rarely drive this van in the rain as it is used for sports/activities than are conducted primarily in dry weather. I also run errands in it, but only in good weather. It's a lot of sheet metal to wash. Lol Other wise it sits in the garage.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Safety Issue Type: Recalls
April 10 2019 NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V290000

Loss of Power Steering Assist Due to Corrosion
Loss of power steering assist would require a higher steering effort, especially at lower speeds, which may increase the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number 19V290000

Manufacturer Daimler Vans USA, LLC

Components STEERING

Potential Number of Units Affected 9471

Summary
Daimler Vans USA, LLC (DVUSA) is recalling certain 2016-2017 Metris vehicles sold, or ever registered in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, Washington DC, West Virginia and Wisconsin. The aluminum bolts that attach the power steering gear assist motor to the gear housing may corrode and fracture causing a reduction or complete loss of power steering assist.

Remedy
DVUSA will notify owners, and dealers will replace the aluminum bolts with steels bolts, free of charge. DTNA issued owners an interim notification on June 3, 2019. Owners may contact DVUSA customer service at 1-877-762-8267. DVUSA's number for this recall is VS2SCHRALU.

Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Recall Acknowledgement
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices (to Dealers, etc.)
Interim Owner Notification Letter (Part 577)
Interim Owner Notifiction Letter (Part 577)

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just received this recall notice today. It has to do with aluminum bolts on the steering gear housing bolts and power pack could corrode and fail. It went on to mention road salt - northern latitudes is where the problem is, most likely.
My 2015 Tesla was recalled for the same issue. Bosch engineers responsible for the electric power steering unit apparently have never heard of galvanic corrosion.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Probably used on lots of vehicles out there with electric steering.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
No, it’s a Mercedes proprietary rack, but Tesla uses a lot of Mercedes parts in the Model S and Model X; Daimler was a major investor and partner earlier on.

There are surprisingly few parts on Mercedes that are shared with other companies. It’s one of the reasons they are so bloody expensive to maintain. Even when, for instance, MB uses something from another company- like the diesels on FWD Vito’s which are Renault sourced- the degree to which they are modified for MB applications is actually pretty shocking.

·
Registered
305 Posts
> but Tesla uses a lot of Mercedes parts in the Model S and Model X;

I'm waiting for the Mercedes air suspension in my Model S to fail.

> they are so bloody expensive to maintain.

Yeah, I sorta wish Tesla used less Mercedes parts.

A common failure on Model S is the Mercedes latch and cinch motor for the rear hatch. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
401 Posts
MB air suspension is not that unreliable, it gets a bad rap. Tesla unreliability owes a large part to lackluster build quality/precision of assembly. They have a long ways to go to come close to the quality coming out of most other vehicle factories, especially those of Germany/Japan/ most in the USA.

MB used Tesla power units in the B-Class Electric....a lot of them failed at low miles. So it goes both ways.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just got my 16' inspected today and gave the dealer the recall notice. I was told MB still has it 'closed' so they can't do the work. I will have to take off another day of work once MB 'opens' the repair and I'm to get another notice in the mail stating I can take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got it, waiting for 30k miles, they can do the trans flush, fuel line recall and this all at once.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Repair notice for this finally showed up in the mail. Up to 5 hours for the repair. I wonder what all needs to come out to get to this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ours was done in less than 4 hours. I also had spark plugs replaced at the same time since it was close to 45000 miles. My guess on the necessity of the replacement of the steering bolts is due to galvanization of the dissimilar metals leading to failure of the bond.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just has this campaign completed on my 2015 GLK250, which also has electric power steering, probably a very similar unit to the Metris. I have not had (or heard) about it for my Metris yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts