Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a used 2016 Metris and decided to join the forum. I don't know what is considered high miles for a Metris, mines at 112k, so it's a little up there. While I am in fire protection, I'm an ex auto tech, so will be doing (and documenting) all my own work. I have a few mechanical issues to deal with, and I am restoring the van back to stock (previous owner modified it for their use) So far the van has been great, although I have only owned it a month. I will say that I am quite surprised by the lack of parts availability for this van. As an example...my right front stabilizer bar end link is completely broken. I decided to replace it and the left side as well..I was able to buy the right side link, however the left side link has been discontinued by Mercedes and nobody has it. I have also discovered that the front spindles have been discontinued. (Got a wheel bearing going out) So far I really like the van, however I'm pretty concerned about the availability of parts, it's only been for sale in the US for 3 years and it's already hard to get the parts I need, what's it going to be like in 5 years? Anyone else running into this?

Thanks
Brad

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just picked up my 2016 cargo with 90k on it last month as well. Really surprised me how well it has held up with that many miles. No problems like you are experiencing with worn parts. Was a delivery van for an energy drink company that went bankrupt, and obviously very well maintained. Dealer I found it at did new tires, shocks, brakes, 4 wheel alignment, and service B with transmission service. So far I have added a shelf unit, finished the inside paneling with insulation, and put a ladder rack on it. Using it for my work service vehicle primarily, and for quick trips close by mountain biking and moto hauler for practice days, once the season starts and can throw the SUP's on top to hit the lake with. All around great van for work and play. Hope parts aren't too hard to obtain down the road. Definitely don't see a bunch of them on the roads.

·
Registered
401 Posts
You can still get most parts for MB's 20+ years old. They are not discontinuing parts for a current production vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I have only looked online for the knuckle (spindle) the stabilizer end link I actually called around on. I'm in Dallas, TX area. All the dealerships here told me they didn't have it stock and it was showing as discountinued in there system. I attempted to order from both FCP euro, and Mercedes of Durham online stores, both of their websites said they had it, but both orders were cancelled because they actually didn't have it in stock and could not order it. 99% sure that mercedespartscenter.com was one of the places I emailed, and they too could not order it.
Below is copied from the email I received from Mercedes of Durham, I'll see if I can find the others.

Hello,

Unfortunately part number A 447 320 00 89 has been discontinued without remaining stock.

We can either cancel your order and you can replace it without the discontinued part, or we can complete your order as normal and cut you a check for the refund, which will take 2 weeks to arrive.

Let us know how you wish to proceed.

Regards,

Mercedes-Benz of Durham Parts

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee named above. It contains information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from use and disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, or dissemination of this transmission, or taking of any action in reliance on its contents, or other use is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please reply to the sender listed above immediately and permanently delete this message from your inbox.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, thanks for the responses.

Greenmanedlion.....I have not attempted to check any dealerships or parts suppliers in Europe for W447 parts yet, I was hoping to find them available in the states.

Motosicko...I don't know if the issues with my Metris would be considered normal, it had a tough life from previous owner. It was a striping truck (paint strip painting vehicle for parking lots) It was probably overloaded from a weight standpoint, service records from the dealership they bought and serviced it with show entire rear end replaced (differential, both axles, and both rear wheel carriers) There was heavy mods done to the front of the van, there was a large bullbar looking device on the front that housed the remote control spray heads as well as video cameras. I suspect this was also quite heavy. It was apparently traded in for a Transit 350, which is a much larger and heavy duty vehicle than the Metris. I'm fairly certain they hit a curb at speed with the right front, hence the broken stabilizer bar end link (ball joint that connects the link to the strut ripped completely out of the link) and I'm fairly certain it's the right front wheel bearing that is bad. I can't blame the Metris for that stuff. I do have a rattle coming from the rear at certain rpms that I think is a lose exhaust heat shield, and I had a low beam headlight go out, but everything else is abuse/damage from previous owner.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Parts may be discontinued because they have improved the same part, but with a new part number. Parts availability is not an issue if you are dealing with a competent parts dept. Yes not going to be stocked, but can be shipped from the distribution center.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts