Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently got a 2019 Metris Cargo Van with less than 1600 miles. Basic model, but it does have a driver side sliding door, tow package, roof rails and, for some unknown reason, 4 sets of keys. I plan on converting it into a camper and use it as my daily driver. Keystone Coach Works will be doing the big stuff ( pop top, Reimo seat/bed). That won’t start until at least the end of March so I have some time to get to know this new vehicle. Two questions have already come up:
1. What is the purpose of the heavy duty, threaded 9 inch eye bolt in the glove box?
2. Should I schedule an oil change, since the vehicle is over a year old ( the reminder for maintenance comes up upon starting) or wait until it has some miles on it?
I have truly appreciated reading this forum over the past two months. In fact, your many knowledgeable and insightful posts convinced me that the Metris is a multifunctional vehicle that I can feel comfortable with.
Thank you.

·
Registered
272 Posts
#1 is the tow bolt. Screws into opening in front bumper to allow pulling the van forward like onto a flatbed. Or, don’t ask how I know, for pulling out of mud after a moron backed into a grassy area he shouldn’t have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#1 is the tow bolt. Screws into opening in front bumper to allow pulling the van forward like onto a flatbed. Or, don’t ask how I know, for pulling out of mud after a moron backed into a grassy area he shouldn’t have.
Thank you for the honest and humorous response.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Change the oil. Manual calls for mileage of 15,000 depending on conditions, like dust, etc., but also, time of 1 year. Welcome to an elite group that must come up with witty answers when asked, "What's a Metris? You mean a Sprinter?"

·
Registered
397 Posts
15,000 is brutal to the engine....I had an oil analysis done on mine with about 7,500 miles on the oil and the lab said to not go further than 10k miles or I'd be increasing wear on the engine....and thats when using very high quality oil. (Liquimoly). Stick to 10k or less, your engine will thank you in the long run. I usually go about 7-8k

Reactions: focus805

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VanGo, thank you for your timely response and warm welcome. Your Sprinter comment hit home here in Colorado. When I asked the local Mercedes service center about changing the oil the response was, ” I’m only familiar with Sprinters.” Thank goodness for the Forum!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Changing the oil once a year is based on the idea that your van should see the dealer once a year; synthetic oil meeting MB specs does not really break down over time. I strongly encourage not exceeding that one year interval once the van is in service, and I don’t actively discourage you changing the oil for peace of mind, but you don’t need to.

How much a 15k mile interval would be bad for your engine really depends on how you use it. The service indicator measures that, and will alert you when it is time to change either at the appropriate point given your use, 15,000 miles, or one years time, whichever occurs first. I don’t know how Pawo uses his van, but if his oil tester (who usually, btw, are tied into businesses that profit from you changing your oil) was being honest on the wear at 7500 miles, I suspect it would have signaled a change well before the time/mileage based triggers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
15,000 is brutal to the engine....I had an oil analysis done on mine with about 7,500 miles on the oil and the lab said to not go further than 10k miles or I'd be increasing wear on the engine....and thats when using very high quality oil. (Liquimoly). Stick to 10k or less, your engine will thank you in the long run. I usually go about 7-8k
I believe the original post said he has under 1600 miles on the van.
With low mileage, time is the only factor. I rarely put over 5000 miles
on a car in a year, so I guess my engines will last forever, or until my
needs change and I sell the cars, which is what happens. I'm curious just how independent your lab is. Would they tell me to stretch my oil changes because my mileage is low?

·
Registered
52 Posts
You have 4 sets of keys because they are very cheap to get new, but very expensive to replace later, or the van was owned by a larger commercial operation. They are part of CO2 - Driver Efficiency Package.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Changing the oil once a year is based on the idea that your van should see the dealer once a year; synthetic oil meeting MB specs does not really break down over time. I strongly encourage not exceeding that one year interval once the van is in service, and I don’t actively discourage you changing the oil for peace of mind, but you don’t need to.

How much a 15k mile interval would be bad for your engine really depends on how you use it. The service indicator measures that, and will alert you when it is time to change either at the appropriate point given your use, 15,000 miles, or one years time, whichever occurs first. I don’t know how Pawo uses his van, but if his oil tester (who usually, btw, are tied into businesses that profit from you changing your oil) was being honest on the wear at 7500 miles, I suspect it would have signaled a change well before the time/mileage based triggers.
I'm with pawo on this one GML. I see no harm other than expense and minor environmental impact in changing oil ahead of the service indicator. And there is likely value. I am not sure of the source for your claim that synthetic oil "really does not break down over time." If it wears out or gets dirty, it don't matter which, the oil has to go unless you have some new fangled ultra filter system I don't have.

The Owners Manual recognizes the wide variability of service conditions, so the mileage-based service interval is just an implicit indicator of oil life -- and using mileage is generally the most quantifiable measure of compliance. I say implicit because it does not examine the oil's chemistry. So, the on-board service indicator is likewise an implicit indicator of oil life, presumably more detailed than mileage or time alone because it is based upon other data sources beyond just the odometer or time.

Great, but SFW? Does the on-board indicator ever let me get more than 15,000 miles? Nope. So it is useless if I change my oil before the service indicator triggers, which is what pawo is suggesting. I'm fine with it to warn me that my tough driving conditions demand an early oil change, but it is nothing but another implicit indicator of oil life. Oh, and that's if it works as MB advertises. Of course, MB NEVER over-engineers systems and NEVER designs electronic systems that just shut down when they are over-stimulated, so, sure, I'm going to rely on MB's service indicator instead of 50 years of wrenching and driving experience. And anyway, " synthetic oil meeting MB specs does not really break down over time." Yeah.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I, too, have read that synthetic oils don't break down like the old petrol stuff. The remaining problem is the dust, metal particles, etc. So, if they could filter well, maybe we'd never change oil. But, where would we buy our cars, since I've also read that dealers make their profit on service. 😉

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes the oils do not break down much. In fact the additive levels and overall "quality" of the oil when I sent it in at ~7,500 miles was very good still. The problem is particulate matter/dirt/fuel contamination/wear metals suspended in the oil. If the van had a much more intense oil filtration system you could likely go much much longer on the same oil. The filter it has is good, but its not that good. I suppose if you drained out the oil every 10k and ran it through an extreme filtration that pulled out those wear metals and dirt, you could probably just put it right back in again and do another 10k easily....but its not cost effective.

The diesels are even harder on the oil. I only go about 6-6,500 on the oil in my GLK as it puts a fair bit of suspended soot into the oil along with some fuel contamination from the regen process. Lab said I could go up to 8-9k but I'm not going to push it that far. It also has a smaller sump at around 6.5 liters vs the nearly 8 of the metris.

The oil sump on a Sprinter is over 12 liters. I think its that big even on the new M274 based sprinters, which aids with oil cooling and buys extra miles in that service interval by simply diluting it out with a greater quantity of oil.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
When I say the oil doesn’t break down over time, what I mean is that time has no effect on the quality or composition of the oil. So the oil simply being six months old or 12 months old or 24 months old with no use on it makes no difference. What matters is how you use the van, under what conditions, and the circumstances.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts