Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took the plunge yesterday and purchased my Metris Cargo van, to be used primarily as my camping, biking, kayaking adventure van. So, the first thing I did was fill the van with a friends' boxes and belongings, as she's finishing a move. Metrics works well as a cargo hauler, too?.

I've ordered my tri fold mattress, to get the camper portion ready, got a trailer hitch to be added in a couple weeks, got my Yakima rack ready to be moved from my Accord to the Metris (once I figure out what tower system to use).

I was wondering what folks have been using for flooring cover/mats? I want to keep access to the D rings, but figure the nice gray cork (?) flooring may take a beating over time. Any ideas?

BTW, I'm stoked to have joined the Metris crowd. I've been looking at an adventure mobile for over a year now, contemplated Tacomas, Frontiers, Tundras, Ridgelines, and in the van category was thinking seriously about Nissan NV, either cargo or passenger. Having owned both Tacoma with shell and a Eurovan weekender, I knew I favored van over camper shell setup.

When I read about Metris and then test drove one, my search was over. My girlfriend much preferred the size and ride quality over the NV, as did I. This is my stripped down German "Eurovan" and I can't wait to get the adventures started!
I've been reading this forum for the past few months, and am happy to have joined.

Next up: window tinting (I got tailgate over barn doors) for some added privacy, and putting my 1-Up bike rack on the back, once trailer hitch is added.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I traded in my F150+canopy in for a Metris cargo van last month. The F150 was too big on the outside (huge pain to park), and too small on the inside.

I put a simple bed frame with a twin mattress from Ikea in the back and 4 days after buying it, I put 5000 miles on it up the west coast, Yellowstone, Badlands, Mt Rushmore, etc on the way to an event in Duluth. I can't believe how peppy it is with a little 4 cylinder engine.

Now that I'm back from its first road trip, I've cut a hole for a Maxxfan and installed it. I added four 100W flexible solar panels on the roof and a pair of 6V 230Ahr golf cart batteries with charge controller inside. Yesterday, I hung an ARB awning from the passenger side roof rails. I put sound deadening foam on roof and walls.

Next up is insulation in the walls, doors and roof. Then cabinets, ceiling & walls.

I've got 2 nights reserved in Yosemite this Wednesday. I love this thing.

I almost bought a Transit, but I didn't really need the space. I like the much lower load floor of the Metris; it's much easier to step into.

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
The floor is High Density Fiberboard, also known as wood composite. They seem to stand up well in Sprinters. An anal friend of mine covered his Sprinter with plain old industrial carpet, which is not ideal for cargo, but oughtta work fine for you.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm the same as above post. I bought for adventure, bike, motorcycle, camping and more. I totally love this van much more than I thought. I've been cutting panels to go inside, from 1\2 Burch. I used clear drawer liner as tracing paper and then installing riv-nuts and will bolt into that...also adding insulation to the bottom panels. Also doing the awning. I blacked out the wheels with semi gloss paint....looks much better with the front and rear black trim. Its easy to do, just remove wheel, clean well,deflate and put standard sheet paper around the rim...push down on tire and push paper under lip.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I used a layer of this underneath indoor/outdoor carpet.
http://www.americanfloormats.com/rubber-roll-matting/

Extremely durable and helps with sound deadening. Downside is that nothing slides on it so loading equipment cases is rough, hence the carpet. If I have cargo that needs to stay put I pull out the carpet. Decent setup so far.
Did you order the 1/4 or 3/8" solid black? how much did you order and did is just ship UPS or freight?

Thanks

·
Registered
470 Posts
I was wondering what folks have been using for flooring cover/mats? I want to keep access to the D rings, but figure the nice gray cork (?) flooring may take a beating over time. Any ideas?
one option - http://www.bedrug.com/products/cargo-van-mats/van-rug.html Metris PART # VRMM16
http://www.autoanything.com/cargo-liners/77A5557A4457151.aspx

The flooring will scratch if you slide something semi-sharp across it. I'm thinking of this 'rug' would work well protecting it.

Reactions: Tree95

·
Registered
151 Posts
Did you order the 1/4 or 3/8" solid black? how much did you order and did is just ship UPS or freight?

Thanks
Ordered the 1/4", didn't see a need for anything heavier. I ordered a 4'x5' piece that rolls in perpendicular behind the seats and a 4'x4' piece that fills in between the wheel wells. Makes almost a perfect fit except for a little trimming along the sliding door entry. It shipped UPS ground for $21.59.

Also ordered their velourtex floor mats which are pretty nice and custom fit perfectly.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Custom fit is the best especially with messy winter weather that can send mess just about anywhere in the cabin.

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Peace Vans Seattle does great Metris Conversions

Peace Vans Seattle has the Metris camper conversion process wired down solid. They are worth a visit on line peacevansseattle.com. Harley and his team are getting ready to roll out the first few in just a couple more weeks. Look at them on face book as well. Top notch, all European built components with excellent detail and high quality. They install a low profile, color matched pop top as well. Need a van.....they are in strong cahoots with Mercedes of Seattle. Speak with Harley at Peace Vans and Keith Donaldson at MB Seattle. I have been treated right!
Jack

·
Registered
28 Posts
Peace Vans Seattle has the Metris camper conversion process wired down solid. They are worth a visit on line peacevansseattle.com. Harley and his team are getting ready to roll out the first few in just a couple more weeks. Look at them on face book as well. Top notch, all European built components with excellent detail and high quality. They install a low profile, color matched pop top as well. Need a van.....they are in strong cahoots with Mercedes of Seattle. Speak with Harley at Peace Vans and Keith Donaldson at MB Seattle. I have been treated right!
Jack
That's great to hear! We're flying out at the end of September to rent one of their Metris conversions (aka Peace Modern) before committing. SCA top and Reimo interior - sure looks great on their Instagram feed!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts