Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of a 2018 Metris Cargo recently with only 12k miles.
It replaced a Chrysler Town & Country which I really liked for it's technology, but it had limited cargo space even with all seats folded down.

First, the good:
Great outside design! Streamlined and not (overly) boxy.
Barn doors open wide if needed
Mine has driver side slider which I consider a must-have
Powerful engine, and amazingly smooth transmission
Tight turning radius and really silky power steering

Then the "Meh":
What's with still needing a key to start? T&C used a wireless FOB.
No automatic temp/blower control? (Was used-to 'set it and forget it'!)
Confusing Blue-Tooth setup. Finally got the phone B-T setup, still trying for B-T music setup

Now the Bad:
No satellite-radio option. According to M-B dealer no sat-radio upgrade either.
Driver leg-room pretty short for average person (I am just 6').
What's with that Navigation system? Right out of the 90's with needing to twirl a knob to highlight choices.
And still haven't figured out how to get FL in the Navi module...It only shows North East US as being installed, can't find where to download the SE US map.
Previous owner lived in NE US, but swears they never used the Navi...maybe the selling dealer pre-loaded it with NE US map? Why not the whole US?

So, that's my first impressions after about 500 miles of driving it.
Overall love it for the cargo space, I haul around everything from electronics to generators.
Even being a little cramped while driving, it's got great visibility and is really peppy!
Appreciate your input, especially on the stuff I haven't figured out yet!
Jim in FL

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just comments on yours. I have almost 90,000 on my passenger van.The Chrysler was more of a consumer model, cargo Metris is not and it shows in several areas. Climate control was available on passenger...not sure about cargo. Doesn't seem navigation was fully loaded. Mine covers entire country and Canada as well. Haven't been anywhere else. It came as a module you plugged in to download onto system. I'd check with dealer on that. I agree that the whole entertainment/navigation system is a disappointment. I have a 2011 MB sedan and its system is more advanced that this van. Seems like they cleared out some old parts. I haven't found it cramped and I'm 6'2", but my prior van was a eurovan, and now that feels REAL cramped, so I guess it is relative.

Good luck with your van. I have many small issues, but it rides and handles very well for the box it is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just comments on yours. I have almost 90,000 on my passenger van.The Chrysler was more of a consumer model, cargo Metris is not and it shows in several areas. Climate control was available on passenger...not sure about cargo. Doesn't seem navigation was fully loaded. Mine covers entire country and Canada as well. Haven't been anywhere else. It came as a module you plugged in to download onto system. I'd check with dealer on that. I agree that the whole entertainment/navigation system is a disappointment. I have a 2011 MB sedan and its system is more advanced that this van. Seems like they cleared out some old parts. I haven't found it cramped and I'm 6'2", but my prior van was a eurovan, and now that feels REAL cramped, so I guess it is relative.
Good luck with your van. I have many small issues, but it rides and handles very well for the box it is.
Thanks for your input, Tony!
More newbie questions:
1) Wondering if my sliding doors can be upgraded to automatic? When I hit the FOB button for doors, something clicks inside the door.
2) What's with that coffee cup icon? I can make it go away, but next startup it's back.
3) Any way to make the shutting-off feature permanently disabled? I also have that feature in my Cadillac XT5 and there is no button to disable, but I found that shifting into manual will keep the engine running.
4) The digital radio display just shows an analogue representation, how ironic! Wondering if there's a way to change it to all digital and also if this radio can receive station/song information (RDS)?
5) Still have not figured how to bluetooth the radio to receive music from my cell. Telephone bluetooth works well.
Appreciate any input!
Jim in FL

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
1) possibly at great expense, but realistically, no.

2) that is called attention assist; the cup indicates the system is functional. It monitors your driving and if it senses you are losing your concentration, it will ding and alert you it thinks so. You can dismiss the alert if you want; no reason to turn the system off. Unless you are in the habit of driving 3-4 hours at a time you’ll never notice it working.

3) permanently, no. You can shutit off via the button just to the right of the hazard light button, but it will reactivate on restart. I’d suggest using it though. Just remember to pause a moment when letting your foot off the brake. You can also turn the engine on by lifting a bit off the brake and just holding them lightly.

4) nope. That’s how it works.

5) you configure it through your media input settings. Push media until it gets to the Bluetooth streaming screen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I turn the eco start stop button off every time I start the van. I don’t believe there is a way to disable it permanently. When I take long trips, like 900 miles a day, I turn off the coffee cup attention assist as it just bothers me when it dings, but then have to turn it off again after every fill up. My FM radio reception is bad, so I rarely use it. I either plug in my IPod or use the sd memory card. Just turned 25,000 miles and the only real issue I’ve had was the wearing of the tires on the outer edge. Had Michelin Defenders installed Monday and an alignment done today at the Dealership. Also signed up for four more years of prepaid maintenance as my first two years were free as part of the deal when I purchased. Not sure if there are any real savings buying the maintenance plan, $2000, for A, B, A and B. But I like having it set up. I also purchased the 7 year Extended Warranty when I purchased.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the great answers...You folks are awesome!

More questions:
1) My Becker Map Pilot only displays states in the upper US.
I'm in FL, so when I select Navigation the screen is blank.
I seem to remember a website where map sections of the US could be downloaded (free?), but cannot re-find that site.
Is my only option a $99 upgrade?
(I'm getting mixed reviews of the Becker Navi, and not sure it would be a hundred bucks well spent!)

2) Still working on getting Bluetooth streaming setup.
When I select media, the screen advises no Bluetooth devices are set up.
Even though my telephone Bluetooth works great!
sigh!

Thanks again for all input!
Jim in FL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you share the make/model of that XM module? That would be great to have!
Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Becker Map Pilot only displays states in the upper US.
I'm in FL, so when I select Navigation the screen is blank.
I seem to remember a website where map sections of the US could be downloaded (free?), but cannot re-find that site. Is my only option a $99 upgrade?
Jim in FL
Update!
I contacted Becker and they sent me a complementary map for the entire US & Canada.
Thanks, Becker!
Jim in Fl

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for your input, Tony!
More newbie questions:
1) Wondering if my sliding doors can be upgraded to automatic? When I hit the FOB button for doors, something clicks inside the door.
2) What's with that coffee cup icon? I can make it go away, but next startup it's back.
3) Any way to make the shutting-off feature permanently disabled? I also have that feature in my Cadillac XT5 and there is no button to disable, but I found that shifting into manual will keep the engine running.
4) The digital radio display just shows an analogue representation, how ironic! Wondering if there's a way to change it to all digital and also if this radio can receive station/song information (RDS)?
5) Still have not figured how to bluetooth the radio to receive music from my cell. Telephone bluetooth works well.
Appreciate any input!
Jim in FL
It does show RDS with stations that provide that info

1 - 11 of 11 Posts