Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. New to the forum here looking to gather some owners feedback about the Mercedes Metris Vans. I have owned 20+Mercedes-Benz cars before of all kinds so I am not new to the brand but new to the Metris. I own many income properties and a van has always been the most basic essential. Any other land lords here? I own property in NY and FL and my current work van is a 2009 Dodge Caravan with 104,000 Miles. She is starting to get old now. Some rust starting to appear and some mechanical failures have occured. I am looking into a new van(CPO/Used) and I am serious about the Metris. I do have a coupe of concerns.

1. Is the RWD Metris good in the snow? What tires is everyone using? Do they make a 4Matic version?
2. Running cost? Not that I worry much but out of curiosity cost vs competitors.
3.) Real world space. Can I haul water heaters, lumber, drywall, appliances, tools, and much more?

~George.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
If you can get by with a Caravan, you'll do great with the Metris size wise. Its 25% bigger in volume, and its more usably tall.

Running costs? It gets me in the low 20s most of the time (fast driver). Beyond that, its a Mercedes. Not the cheapest vehicle in the world to own and maintain.

I have had no trouble at all in the snow or ice, except for a freaky issue removing snow from the roof.

... Your van is worn out at only 8 years and 109k miles? I knew MOPARs are junk, but gosh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can get by with a Caravan, you'll do great with the Metris size wise. Its 25% bigger in volume, and its more usably tall.

Running costs? It gets me in the low 20s most of the time (fast driver). Beyond that, its a Mercedes. Not the cheapest vehicle in the world to own and maintain.

I have had no trouble at all in the snow or ice, except for a freaky issue removing snow from the roof.

... Your van is worn out at only 8 years and 109k miles? I knew MOPARs are junk, but gosh.
In defense of the Caravan it has been a very rough 8 years in terms of getting beaten up. The first year I got it I bought a 9 unit building doing most of the work myself and gutted all 9 of the units and hauled away all the junk in the van water heaters and old appliances and all. That winter I hauled snow blowers and in the summer I haul lawn mowers. Then hauled all of the new material in it. I mean it is a minivan after all lol. But overall yes MOPAR is junk I would say. My 1992 Viper RT/10 was a train wreck of issues.

What wheel/tires do you have? All seasons? or Snow?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
It handled last year fine with the Hankooks it came on, but when they hit 36k miles they went completely uselsss (I went off the road during a sudden downpour because they hydroplaned in a lateral road river). It handles just fine this year on Michelin Defender all season light truck tires.

I wouldn't put sport/summer tires on it- it's a van, it'll roll before that kind of lateral grip would make a difference- but no real need for winter tires unless you live somewhere well north of the city.

The Metris should work better for you- it's a van, not a minivan.

·
Registered
83 Posts
36k and the Hancraps went useless? For me it is like 15k on the fronts...... the rear are in much better shape. I have never had Hankooks, but never again ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It handled last year fine with the Hankooks it came on, but when they hit 36k miles they went completely uselsss (I went off the road during a sudden downpour because they hydroplaned in a lateral road river). It handles just fine this year on Michelin Defender all season light truck tires.

I wouldn't put sport/summer tires on it- it's a van, it'll roll before that kind of lateral grip would make a difference- but no real need for winter tires unless you live somewhere well north of the city.

The Metris should work better for you- it's a van, not a minivan.
I would never do sport/summer tires. No reason for it. And you have the RWD one correct? On the passenger vans do the seats come out or are they planted into the floor? I will setting up a test drive this weekend.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would never do sport/summer tires. No reason for it. And you have the RWD one correct? On the passenger vans do the seats come out or are they planted into the floor? I will setting up a test drive this weekend.
The seats come out. They are easily disconnected but not easily moved. Heavy and awkward.

As for the snow, a rear wheel drive vehicle is superior in the snow - - - but for one thing. Its 600 pounds of engine and transmission are sitting over the front wheels and not the drive wheels like front wheel drive has. Fully loaded or with 300 to 400 pounds of ballast over the rear wheels, the Metris will do fine in the snow. Empty it will be a dog's breakfast.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Lots of threads on the topics that interest you to go through here before you go on your test drive.

Research, investigate, be prepared (don't depend on the salesperson for 100% information) and remain vigilant.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Mine does fine in the snow with just an Oreck, a steam mop, a squirt mop, and a bag of miscellaneous cleaning chemicals. The M274 is a pretty light engine, the balance isn't off like it would be with, say, a 6850cc cast iron V8 in a W116 body.

Actually come to think of it, with a 3 liter I-5 cast iron engine a W116 handles just fine in the snow. I'd gues a 560SEL would do fine, too.

Bodies are heavier and engines lighter than they used to be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts